BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #199
peasouped
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80, B9 SQ5, B8.5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I dunno. There had to be some sort of traction issues, unless they had really, really bad reaction times. Otherwise, I don't see how they could be trapping 113 while running 13.2ish (.5 seconds slower than your ~12.7).

Admittedly, I've never been to the track (ours closed about a month after I got my car) as a driver, so maybe there is some other explanation. If so, I'd love to know what it is.
Damn that sucks! When I get home Ill post a pic of the 1ner I raced that trapped that speed. Needless to say he told me he's losing the JB4 and going cobb protune lol
      05-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #200
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

So the timeslip you posted that had the time of a 335i is a different 335i you ran up against? It much be because a 2.4 60' shows he was having a hard time getting traction. Anything above a 2.1 60' is traction issues and launching at 4-5k.....2-3k is where it's at but if you said they told you they weren't having traction issue's then ok.....

You shouldn't be shifting at redline, the 1er isn't made to do that. Look at your dyno and see where it drops off at. I would recommend shifting at no more than 6k. Your power drops off a good 30 or so rwhp. Shift points are there for a reason, you "make" 400 rwhp but look at where it's being made, it's not all the way to redline.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #201
peasouped
Captain
Rep

Same 335i. He tried a 3k, 4k, 5k launch. His best time was 2.2. And he says absolutely no traction issue. He also has a 10 second gsx so he knows how to race lol
      05-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #202
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasouped View Post
Same 335i. He tried a 3k, 4k, 5k launch. His best time was 2.2. And he says absolutely no traction issue. He also has a 10 second gsx so he knows how to race lol
I'm gonna beat this horse one last time. He has to have traction issues. How else can you run a 2.2 60' and then rip 13.2@113mph? Everything points to a traction issue. That or he absolutely bogged it at the start.

I don't see how one can say with a straight face launching at 4-5K does not cause traction problems.

No offense to your friend (and this coming from an arm chair quarterback, no less), but if he could not crack 2.2 60ft (especially with a claimed no traction issue), then maybe he doesn't know how to race (this particular vehicle anyways) quite as well as you think...

Regardless, he looks to be making more power than you (unless your shift points really are costing you that much). Would be curious to see what numbers he pulls on bren's dyno.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #203
peasouped
Captain
Rep

He's getting protuned next month on that dyno. And hes definetly not making anywhere near the numbers my car makes. Ive been in his car many times and hes been in my car many times and we've been on the highway at the same time. My car pulls much harder than his. He says over and over how he cant believe the difference between his cobb tune and my protune. Also he is a very very good driver. I can swear by the fact he had no traction issues. I had traction issues. Hence why I want better tires for the job. If im having traction issues its easy to say im losing trap speed. I think you may need to get some more racing experience sir lol
      05-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #204
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
He's getting protuned next month on that dyno. And hes definetly not making anywhere near the numbers my car makes. Ive been in his car many times and hes been in my car many times and we've been on the highway at the same time. My car pulls much harder than his. He says over and over how he cant believe the difference between his cobb tune and my protune. Also he is a very very good driver. I can swear by the fact he had no traction issues. I had traction issues. Hence why I want better tires for the job. If im having traction issues its easy to say im losing trap speed. I think you may need to get some more racing experience sir lol
You sure about that?

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...c=&Search=true

Consensus varies, but I have read a number of times that less traction off the line will actually result in a higher trap speed....

Generally speaking, as noted earlier by someone else, traction will help lower your et, but is not going to do as much for your trap speed....Now if you are spinning all the way down that track, that is something else.

Higher trap speed is in indication of horsepower to weight. Higher trap = higher hp (everything else being equal).

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...d-here.567417/

"1) Trap Speed will tell you about your HP to weight.
2) ET will tell you more about traction and your launch. "

"After running lots of quarter miles, it becomes clear that how well you do in the first 100 feet of the track is KEY to a good time. The last half of the track is KEY to a good speed. "

You can both swear he is not having traction issues and is a great racer, but something is causing a not so great 60' of 2.4. He gets his 60' down and he will have an et that matches his trap speed - though he may actually have a slightly lower trap.

I just looked at the time slip again and your friend only ran a 108, thought you said it was 113 (or maybe that was on another run). Either way, if he was running between 108 and 113 and you were between 107 and 111 those numbers are probably close enough that it would appear you are making similar power. Unless, like I said earlier, there is something else (maybe your shift points) going on with your runs that are causing your trap to be lower.

My car feels a lot faster when using the cobb standard throttle maps vs. the linear throttle maps, doesn't mean that it is. Could it be the way bren tunes the car gives it a punchier/faster feeling?

I guess you'll know for sure shortly. Would be curious to see what your fiends numbers are right now and what they are when bren is done his thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #205
peasouped
Captain
Rep

My 135i with the exact same mods he has on the exact same cobb map made 368whp. And have you ever raced? when I pull him hard on the highway that would mean its because my throttle mapping? hah. Also about the traction thing. When I had traction issues on other runs i ran a slower trap speed? I have about 5 slips from that night. I posted my best time slip ET wise. That wasnt his best run of the night. I wish you didnt live so far away because I'd put any amount of money that his 335i makes atleast 30whp and 60wtq than mine on just a cobb (no protune). Also so I can watch your jaw drop in disbelief lol
      05-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #206
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My 135i with the exact same mods he has on the exact same cobb map made 368whp. And have you ever raced? when I pull him hard on the highway that would mean its because my throttle mapping? hah. Also about the traction thing. When I had traction issues on other runs i ran a slower trap speed? I have about 5 slips from that night. I posted my best time slip ET wise. That wasnt his best run of the night. I wish you didnt live so far away because I'd put any amount of money that his 335i makes atleast 30whp and 60wtq than mine on just a cobb (no protune). Also so I can watch your jaw drop in disbelief lol
It wasn't clear to me you were actually doing runs with him on the highway - I thought you were just going for rides in each other cars.

I know you are seeing what you are seeing and I'm not trying to argue that. But is certainly isn't consistent with what one would expect.

There has to be something else going on with your car. If you are making that much more power than him, he should not be trapping higher than you - unless he weighs a lot less than you. Fixing your traction issues is not likely to result in much, if any, increase in trap speed.

I'd be curious to see your other slips from that night. You say you posted your best et, but your best trap was 111. On the 111 run did you have more traction issues (i.e. what was your 60' time?) than on your best et run? If so, would be consistent with the link I posted.

Last edited by foghat; 05-22-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #207
peasouped
Captain
Rep

Ill post them up when i get home tonight. Im not trying to argue. Reading words always give the wrong impression off.
      05-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #208
TheAnalyst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Altime POS edition

Another north shore guy chiming in, picking up a 135 in the next few weeks...

But who and where is this Bren character located, and how much does his sorcery cost?

I dont give a damn about numbers, I want solid gains and it seems like he can produce that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #209
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post

But who and where is this Bren character located, and how much does his sorcery cost?

I dont give a damn about numbers, I want solid gains and it seems like he can produce that.
Bren is located in Worcester, MA on RT20 (both his office and dyno but at different locations).

There is a tuning day being scheduled right now. If you have the AccessPort already, $400 for a 93oct tune and a baseline 50% E85 tune is the cost. He normally charges about $500 for the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #210
peasouped
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Awsome where on the North shore. Im putting the tuning day together. You will get very solid gains
      05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #211
TheAnalyst
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will keep track of the tuning day, hopefully I have the car by the time the tuning day rolls around. Im right off of route one just north of the revere beach roundabout. Trying to pick up a high mileage 1er I found on CL, 2 yr warranty, I should be selling it around that time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #212
peasouped
Captain
Rep

The worst part of rt1 is that dam corner lol
      05-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #213
TheAnalyst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Exactly, its damn brutal during rush hour... luckily I work long hours so thats not usually a problem.
Appreciate 0