BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
ODU135
College Student
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i 6MT

Shit luck - vandalism, popped tire, and misfires

Well i just want to know if im the only one who was been having god awful luck the past few months

It all started in november when some people vandalized my car while it was parking at my university on campus in a university parking lots. apparently their cameras are useless and they didnt have any way of catching the vandals even tho the cameras are pointed right at where my car was parked. the vandalist left blood drops too, but the cops decided it was not worth it to do their job and even try and pull a sample. the vandals smashed my windshield and drivers window and left deep scratches all over my hood and near my door handle too. fuck me, right?

then of course the glass people who replaced the window and windshield and vaccumed out the glass missed a ton in spots where glass was like under seats and what not. pain in the ass to remove shattered glass on the inside of a car cause it finds a way into literally EVERYWHERE. Now for some odd reason the door still rattles as if glass is in even tho i have removed my door panel and inner door foam seal, shop vacced every nook and cranny to 100% no glass pieces. ive done this twice now, and yet still the door rattles loud as fuck whenever i open it and close it. Also my comfort access isn't working and ive tried everything for that too! and the glass people didnt align my rubber weather guard thing on the inside of my door so now it sticks out awkwardly and the bottom window trim is all fucked and not in the proper spot.

next month onto december i had 3 injectors go bad. Of course i changed the plugs and coils first hoping that would help but nothing. more wasted time and money as in the end i still had to do the injectors.

Now in january we have a snow storm and my car was misfiring on the 3 cylinders that JUST got new injectors, coils, and plugs not even a month ago. I also got o2 codes. but apparently the car had bad gas in it which combined with the cold snowy weather was the source for misfires and o2 codes. it was regular 93 octane but I used a fuel injector cleaner in the tank which was apparently not good for the car at all

to top it all of, today I cross the rail road tracks that i usually cross on my daily commute at 50 mph with no problems. Apparently my front passenger side tire was low and what do u know, even with going only 30mph, it popped! at least i had run flats and found a decent deal on a replacement of the exact same tire.

anyone else have miserable car luck lately? at least i still love this car. there is no other care id rather go through these headaches with!
      01-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
who hurts another man's car...a fuckface...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
ODU135
College Student
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
who hurts another man's car...a fuckface...
drunk college kids. They broke into 10 other cars in the parking lot all parking in the same row as mine. they brok the drivers window on each and every car, yet mine also had the god damn windshield smashed too, you know just for good measure. also the cops and campus security thought 10 cars vandalized and broken into was not worth their time and basically took zero attempt at solving the case/finding the vandals.
      01-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope the rest of the year goes better for you.
Attached Images

01-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODU135 View Post
...I used a fuel injector cleaner in the tank which was apparently not good for the car at all...
Sorry for all your bad luck! Which injector cleaner did you use?

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Well, I curbed one of my brand new VMR V810's less than a week after having them put on and lowered the garage door on my trunk lid when I was doing my brakes last week, but it sounds like you've got me beat. My mishaps were just my own stupidity however, whereas yours were just bad luck.

Something good will happen to you to make up for it; that's the way the karma wheel rolls. Sorry man...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
ODU135
College Student
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Sorry for all your bad luck! Which injector cleaner did you use?

Peace
I usually use a fuel injector cleaner from autozone called lucas fuel injector but this time around they had one made by STP on sale. so i snagged it up but it was no good; atleast not in the cold weather
      01-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Hang in there, brother... better days ahead
      01-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

OP that's terrible. Insult to injury added by the campus police doing nothing.

I can beat most self inflicted mishaps. Changed the brake pads on my father's car while visiting over Christmas & New Year. I torqued the wheel according to spec with a borrowed torque wrench. After a few days I started noticing some noise from the front left and figured I did something wrong on the pad install. One evening while driving the car the noise turned into a wobble and the wheel came off. The lucky part is the wheel crossed 2 lanes of oncoming traffic but it hit nothing. Then it landed on a grassy spot in front of a Lexus dealer. Twenty more feet and it would have taken out a few new cars.

So with having to get my father a rental, the suspension work and the body work (front quarter panel) it will be a pretty expensive screw up. I can blame the problem on the torque wrench being way off, but, only have myself to blame for not looking harder at the noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Ouch man hang in there something good must be due soon!! Seems like college kids have a hard on to mess with nice cars on campus.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
ODU135
College Student
United_States
Rep

thanks guys. hopefully I can catch a break soon, especially with finding good deals on mods as i'm looking to go FBO early this summer
      01-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Wow, that sucks.

Luckily, bad luck runs in threes, so you should be good for a long, long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
drunk college kids. They broke into 10 other cars in the parking lot all parking in the same row as mine. they brok the drivers window on each and every car, yet mine also had the god damn windshield smashed too, you know just for good measure. also the cops and campus security thought 10 cars vandalized and broken into was not worth their time and basically took zero attempt at solving the case/finding the vandals.
That really blows man. I totally know the deal too. A few years ago my car was broken into, my motorcycle had a chisel jammed in the ignition and the steering lock broken off, and our apartment was broken into and they stole several $K worth of shit. Cops didn't give a single fuck, have never been as pissed off as that day, screamed at them like a drill Sargent for an hour.

As far as recent events go:
  • Water pump failed on my car (during 100m road trip)
  • Fiancee got stranded with a dead battery
  • Found a bug infestation in our kitchen (came from neighbors apt)

Not a great year so far lol
      01-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I usually use a fuel injector cleaner from autozone called lucas fuel injector but this time around they had one made by STP on sale. so i snagged it up but it was no good; atleast not in the cold weather
Just wondered. I've been using Lucas and Chevron Techron with no ill effects.

Thanks and peace.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
ODU135
College Student
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Just wondered. I've been using Lucas and Chevron Techron with no ill effects.

Thanks and peace.
for clarification, i researched more, and it seems i mistakenly put way too much in! the bottle of lucas fuel injector is good for a full tank of gas, so thats that i do. the STP one should have only used 1/4-1/2 of the bottle for a full tank of gas, and I put nearly the whole bottle in lol
      01-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #16
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for clarification, i researched more, and it seems i mistakenly put way too much in! the bottle of lucas fuel injector is good for a full tank of gas, so thats that i do. the STP one should have only used 1/4-1/2 of the bottle for a full tank of gas, and I put nearly the whole bottle in lol
Not sure that would have done any damage. You're talking about a few ounces of petroleum distillates and detergent mixed in with fourteen gallons of premium gas. That should not make a difference at all. You do use top tier gas, right? Something with a decent additive package like Amoco, Shell, Exxon?

Peace
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I use Gumout Regane in all my cars. I was fortunate enough to be able to compare my mustangs manifolds against another with half the miles. Mine looked nearly new while there's, not so much. I was pretty surprised at that he difference.
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50
      01-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Yeah, I've had some pretty crap luck lately too.

First, I had some asshole leave this chip for me while I was at uni. The car was parallel parked and it was on top of the fender so there's no way it happened from someone opening a door into it. There was also a small round impact mark so I think someone took a pen or something similar and stabbed at it. I had to have the whole fender repainted.

Then my water pump died a few weeks later. A week after I had that replaced, my serpentine belt snapped while I was driving home and it took out my AC compressor. So I took it in to have that replaced. They fitted the new part and it was faulty. So they sent it back and then sent out a new one. Apparently they sent out the wrong part. So after having it in the shop twice for the AC compressor I still don't actually have the problem fixed. Then of course my mechanic closed for the Christmas break and didn't reopen until the 12th of January. They're too busy to fit me in now until Thursday so I've gone for 6 weeks in the Australian summer in a black car with no AC.

I'm also getting huge misfires on multiple cylinders as well as VANOS codes every time I go WOT. So I've just ordered new Bosch plugs, new Eldor coils and new VANOS solenoids. Just waiting for my plugs to arrive from Burger Motorsport before I can install them.

And while I had my car in the second time for the AC compressor, it looks as though someone cut the boost line that goes between the 2 diverter valves so I had to trim it back and refit it onto the diverter valve. I'm still getting low boost codes sometimes and that same boost line feels very frayed around where it attaches to the intake manifold. My mechanic said it's a common thing with the N54 for that line to decay and break but it seriously looked as though it had been cut.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #19
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
Yeah, I've had some pretty crap luck lately too.

First, I had some asshole leave this chip for me while I was at uni. The car was parallel parked and it was on top of the fender so there's no way it happened from someone opening a door into it. There was also a small round impact mark so I think someone took a pen or something similar and stabbed at it. I had to have the whole fender repainted.

Then my water pump died a few weeks later. A week after I had that replaced, my serpentine belt snapped while I was driving home and it took out my AC compressor. So I took it in to have that replaced. They fitted the new part and it was faulty. So they sent it back and then sent out a new one. Apparently they sent out the wrong part. So after having it in the shop twice for the AC compressor I still don't actually have the problem fixed. Then of course my mechanic closed for the Christmas break and didn't reopen until the 12th of January. They're too busy to fit me in now until Thursday so I've gone for 6 weeks in the Australian summer in a black car with no AC.

I'm also getting huge misfires on multiple cylinders as well as VANOS codes every time I go WOT. So I've just ordered new Bosch plugs, new Eldor coils and new VANOS solenoids. Just waiting for my plugs to arrive from Burger Motorsport before I can install them.

And while I had my car in the second time for the AC compressor, it looks as though someone cut the boost line that goes between the 2 diverter valves so I had to trim it back and refit it onto the diverter valve. I'm still getting low boost codes sometimes and that same boost line feels very frayed around where it attaches to the intake manifold. My mechanic said it's a common thing with the N54 for that line to decay and break but it seriously looked as though it had been cut.
I bet that's the back door of a SUV. Had the same thing once. Traced it to a mother dropping off her kid at the school in Harlem my wife taught at. the pulled up next to the car, and let the kid swing the back door open.
      01-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

Well Christmas eve 2015 I got my top slashed for no reason. It cost $8400 to fix. But it gets better, just 2 weeks ago on New Years eve 2016 I got my top SLASHED AGAIN!!!!!!!! Both times in the carport of my condo and I live in a really nice neighborhood too. Somehow this time it only cost $4200 to fix. Yes insurance covered me but I'm still pissed. Anyway, I'm getting a camera, extending baton, a glock and a shotgun which is TBD while I research.

Happy Holidays
Appreciate 1
Dylanize203.00
      01-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Had my car keyed at my apartment complex within a few months of getting it.

Not a good feeling.

Best of luck OP, get out and enjoy the drive, screw everyone else.
      01-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Well Christmas eve 2015 I got my top slashed for no reason. It cost $8400 to fix. But it gets better, just 2 weeks ago on New Years eve 2016 I got my top SLASHED AGAIN!!!!!!!! Both times in the carport of my condo and I live in a really nice neighborhood too. Somehow this time it only cost $4200 to fix. Yes insurance covered me but I'm still pissed. Anyway, I'm getting a camera, extending baton, a glock and a shotgun which is TBD while I research.

Happy Holidays
Geeze...could have built a garage with all that repair money.

Peace... Mack
Appreciate 0