BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Question HID Aftermarket Kit - RetroSolutions/DDM Advice

Hi guys

At the moment I have Halogens with Reflectors as such:

Want to install HID, but the only kit I can get hold of here (in South Africa) is a 35W ballast which produces errors in a friends X5 and that i'm not even sure would work in my e88 120i?

From what I understand, this produces an error message because of the lower voltage?

If anyone could be so kind as to answer a few questions I would appreciate it:

1) Would a 55W ballast HID kit solve this error issue? If not, would the error deleter module from DDM fix this? (I have read somewhere that it doesn't?)

2) DDM or Retro Solutions? I have heard Retro Solutions is of more superior quality to that of DDM

Retro Solutions Kit ($168) - http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail

DDM Kit ($65)- http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85

3) Has anyone installed an aftermarket HID without projector housing successfully here? Someone must have??

I have searched, but couldn't get any proper answers to my questions.

I (and many others i'm sure) would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I have installed HID kits in my E46 (reflector) and E70 X5 (projector lenses).

I find that you get what you pay for. The best IMO on the market would be the MTEC kits. They last longer, do not fade after 1 year and DO NOT throw any errors.

Do a search on EBAY for MTEC HID. They cost more than others but are worth it. The best compromise for colour/Light output would be one with 6000k colour.

However, due to the reflector assembly you will find that there will be more glare. The HID i fitted in the X5 looks perfect.

They list different kits for different BMW models and thus the fitment is perfect.

I would definately NOT go with 55w kits as the amount of light produced, especially in a reflector lens, would be too bright and will dazzle most traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I have installed HID kits in my E46 (reflector) and E70 X5 (projector lenses).

I find that you get what you pay for. The best IMO on the market would be the MTEC kits. They last longer, do not fade after 1 year and DO NOT throw any errors.

Do a search on EBAY for MTEC HID. They cost more than others but are worth it. The best compromise for colour/Light output would be one with 6000k colour.

However, due to the reflector assembly you will find that there will be more glare. The HID i fitted in the X5 looks perfect.

They list different kits for different BMW models and thus the fitment is perfect.

I would definately NOT go with 55w kits as the amount of light produced, especially in a reflector lens, would be too bright and will dazzle most traffic.

thats correct, you get exactly what you pay for, but with mtecs hid kits, no issues at all!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
cookie
Rep
Drives: none

I bought a 55w kit from retrofit solutions for my RSX and it was superb. lifetime warranty and support within 24h. their kits are waterproof i believe since i had my ballast in the bumper and it was jammed with snow and salt. and their ballast are digital and built not converted for 55w. you can read more about it on clubrsx.com

word of warning tho,there is no H bulb hids so they are all reseated d2s and d2r bulbs which when put into your reflector housing, create a different pattern that can cause lots of glare for on-coming traffic. and it gets even worst with 55w kits since it is brighter. this is not a brand issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
KHOALTY
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Both kits are made in China so you can make the call there. Most HID kits are made in China and just have a relabel on the box itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The MTECs are made in Japan. I have been using them since 2005. Quality is excellent. The base is made of the same metal you would find at the base of a normal H bulb rather than the plastic which most kits from china are made of. This ensures a better fit in your stock headlight housing.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks guys..

Decided to go for the OSRAM Nightbreaker halogen replacements (H7) and I am very impressed

It's not like HID lights, but its MUCH whiter than stock and quite a bit brighter!

Left one stock in and one Nightbreaker in to compare and you could clearly see the difference in colour!

If you guys are not looking to go the HID route, then consider the nightbreakers!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
silvatyrant
Future E92 M3 owner...
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW ///M235i (F22)

Schmiedmann's Cluster and MTEC HID kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Thanks guys..

Decided to go for the OSRAM Nightbreaker halogen replacements (H7) and I am very impressed

It's not like HID lights, but its MUCH whiter than stock and quite a bit brighter!

Left one stock in and one Nightbreaker in to compare and you could clearly see the difference in colour!

If you guys are not looking to go the HID route, then consider the nightbreakers!
Hey Bru! I just recently took ownership of a 120i hatch and I'm looking to fit the "projector/angel eye" cluster. Found a nice one at Schmeidmann for a not-so-bad price. I'm looking at purchasing the MTEC HID kit aswell. Have only heard good things.

How much did you pay for your Nightbreakers and where did you buy those?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Murdered_One
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i N55

I installed DDM aftermarket HID kit on my 128i. I have a post on the exterior/interior section of this forum. Should be on the front page. They work perfectly as long as you get the error code eliminators. I also uploaded pictures. PM me if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvatyrant View Post
Hey Bru! I just recently took ownership of a 120i hatch and I'm looking to fit the "projector/angel eye" cluster. Found a nice one at Schmeidmann for a not-so-bad price. I'm looking at purchasing the MTEC HID kit aswell. Have only heard good things.

How much did you pay for your Nightbreakers and where did you buy those?

Thanks
Howsit bro! Congrats on your car!

I'm pretty sure those projectors are aftermarket "DEPO" headlights, the same as jlevisw.com are selling

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/1-Se...duct_info.html

It's just a hassle to import and that, and i'm not sure of the quality and that either.. Also I don't know what would happen with motorplan and that either since it's aftermarket goods.

I've been trying to find some second hand OEM headlight enclosures from the UK on eBay etc, and looking at local scrapyards where they go for about R3.5k each side. Quite pricey yeah, but then in theory they should work pretty good, and the angel eyes are OEM, this far more superior than the aftermarket DEPO alternatives you posted

Then you would have to get an aftermarket HID kit with error cancelling resistors obviously like the one you mentioned to get the HID kits working with no errors.

However, the ones at the local scrap yards I found are for the hatch, so I don't think they'd fit on my coupe. You should definitely check them out though since you have the hatch!

Just something to watch out for if you do go that route - If you looking at eBay etc for the second hand OEM headlight enclosures, just make sure they are for RHD cars like ours, cos the ones from US/GER etc are for LHD cars obviously and the beam pattern is aimed differently, so you would end up blinding people here in SA :P

With regards to the nightbreakers, I picked them up at the local Midas for R140 (think they made a mistake though cos I've seen them go for R300) ; shop around though. While you are still halogen, i'd say they are worth it.

Cheers dude and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered_One View Post
I installed DDM aftermarket HID kit on my 128i. I have a post on the exterior/interior section of this forum. Should be on the front page. They work perfectly as long as you get the error code eliminators. I also uploaded pictures. PM me if you have questions.
Thanks, looks good! Are people not flashing you when you drive because of the blinding reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
silvatyrant
Future E92 M3 owner...
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW ///M235i (F22)

Thanks a lot, man! I'll go and have a look at the scrapyards and see what I can find!
Appreciate 0