BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

What to look for when taking delivery?

Hopefully this is my last dumb question relating to pre-delivery matters. Since this is only my second new car, does anybody have any tips as to things to look for on the car before handing over my bank cheque? My contract specifies 2010 build so I'll obviously be looking out for that, and also any unrepaired shipping damage, but are there any other tricks and traps?

Hope to share some pics once I've taken delivery!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Look for stone chips on the bumpers, guards and other low areas of the car. Some people ask for the shipping docket and look at the inspection papers to make sure no transit damage. Look for dulling/salt corrosion on the shiny metal bits, like wheels, hubs, exhaust etc. A Panamera Turbo had that at work recently.

Also swirls on the paint from the pre-delivery detail. Try to pick it up as early as possible and inspect it in sunlight.

Apart from that it should all be good - as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, congratulations & good luck with your new car. Really hope it gives you plenty of smiles!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I don't think anyone had a bad delivery experience (in Aust) I can recall from the forums?

I know swirl is a big thing, but half the time you can't tell have the show room and the first few months until the wax wears off. Besides, if they put the swirls in, I don't think they would be able to have it fixed.

I guess I haven't looked for anything in particular - and I never had anything that I complained too much about (apart from the swirls!).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Brake discs are a big one to check. If you have been waiting a while since your ship ported, brake discs must be checked for rust/stains. (Edit: As the car may have been sitting on the dock for an extended amount of time).

Everything else is standard - expect a BMW to come ready to go!

A bit of advice, however. Clay bar, then a full wax routine on the second day you have your car. Put a good sealant in after the clay bar, this will remove the dealer-installed swirls and will also keep a good undercoat, and leave a great protection on your car the way you want it.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I don't think anyone had a bad delivery experience (in Aust) I can recall from the forums?
Check out my fabulous delivery day last week: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372286

I would definitely advise the OP to look very closely at the build date sticker as I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it being 2009. If the dealer is the same as mine they will no doubt dribble on about the 2010 compliance rubbish and how that's what the value is based on etc...I'm hoping for your sake, after my heart stopped briefly during delivery, that it isn't an 09 but if it is then I'd rip out the back seat and see if you can find out a later date and demand a new 10 sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Well it was all pretty smooth. There was the "big reveal" with the car under a black cloth cover (I had to stifle a bit of a laugh, the dealer looked a bit crestfallen) but other than that it was all fine. There was a bit of a scratch on the bonnet that was polished out on the spot, and everything else was smooth. Car was in perfect condition so nothing to worry about there. Build date sticker said Jan 2010.

Will post some pictures and driving impressions later
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Awesome, congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
Check out my fabulous delivery day last week: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372286

I would definitely advise the OP to look very closely at the build date sticker as I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it being 2009. If the dealer is the same as mine they will no doubt dribble on about the 2010 compliance rubbish and how that's what the value is based on etc...I'm hoping for your sake, after my heart stopped briefly during delivery, that it isn't an 09 but if it is then I'd rip out the back seat and see if you can find out a later date and demand a new 10 sticker.
I reckon they should do the delivery again.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan168 View Post
Build date sticker said Jan 2010.
Glad to hear your build was as expected. Saw your photos in your other thread - looks the business!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I reckon they should do the delivery again.
Even if they offered I'd never do it again. As it was it ended up two separate times in the delivery bay. Lord only knows what the other customer thought when he walked in to be presented with his car as I was promptly ushered out and my car was driven back to the workshop during their first delivery attempt!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
AW123d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 123d

I now know to look for number plates!

Arrived to pick up my 123d coupe this morning and they had fitted the wrong number plates. They did nicely lend me a 125i coupe so I can go back in a few hours to grab the car.

Speaking of the 125i, I've never driven a NA BMW straight-6 before and I can see why people drool about them. However, I couldn't live with the fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0