BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #375
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Lone star chapter autocross is SUNDAY at Dallas raceway in Crandall..... Fresh location...closer to town...Easier on tires and great weather in the forecast.
Mark - where can I find details for this event? I really need to make it out to an autocross, not sure if I will have time this weekend but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #376
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Mark - where can I find details for this event? I really need to make it out to an autocross, not sure if I will have time this weekend but we will see.

http://lscbmwcca.org/motorsports/aut...ross-schedule/

registration is on www.DLBRACING.COM

it may be full.. 61 cars signed up as of this morning and max is 65
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #377
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
http://lscbmwcca.org/motorsports/aut...ross-schedule/

registration is on www.DLBRACING.COM

it may be full.. 61 cars signed up as of this morning and max is 65
I'm new to the area and new to autocross but count me in for the next one!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #378
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

I just installed the Wagner Inter-cooler at Jack Junkies in Plano. If you need a lift and even some help, I would highly recommend this place. Install ended up costing me 80 buck but could have been cheaper if I wouldn't have had to do a couple steps twice...yes i didnt learn the first time. Classic quoted me 500 in do the install and Autoscope quoted 700...

http://www.jackjunkies.com/ourcustomers.html

If you need to do some work on your car and need a lift then check this place out! I was impressed with the staff and facility.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #379
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
I'm new to the area and new to autocross but count me in for the next one!!!

you missed it!

I was able to finish 4th this past weekend..

http://lscbmwcca.files.wordpress.com...may-4-2013.pdf

Results as follows..
1-dedicated autocross car on BFG rivals
2-Dedicated autocross/Time Trial car on Dunlop Z2s
3-Deciated trac/autocross car on Dunlop Z2s
4-stock 1M with camber plates and Bf Goodrich R1 R tires

next event for BMW CCA is

June 9th at Circuit of the Americas in Austin
register online at www.motorsportreg.com

Next local event for BMW CCA is June 22nd - Mineral Wells

Register online at www.dlbracing.com

I have to say that I am very impressed thus far with the BFG R-1 in 285/30/18 size. mine were takeoffs from a racer, and I have them wrapped on my 18x 10 ET25 wheels and they felt great on track last weekend at MSR. Compared to my OEM 19" setup, I was able to really put the power down far better at the rear with less wheelspin. I did not run My RS-3s that day, but from memory, in both autocross and DE, the BFGs were superior. A 285 or larger tire really helps with grip at the rear.

The tires will rub at full lock, but I was able to both DE and Autocross them with no rubbing unless making a parking lot maneruver. I think the R1s are better than the 275/35 Continental hoosier at this point..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-06-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #380
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
you missed it!

I was able to finish 4th this past weekend..

http://lscbmwcca.files.wordpress.com...may-4-2013.pdf

Results as follows..
1-dedicated autocross car on BFG rivals
2-Dedicated autocross/Time Trial car on Dunlop Z2s
3-Deciated trac/autocross car on Dunlop Z2s
4-stock 1M with camber plates and Bf Goodrich R1 R tires

register online at www.motorsportreg.com

Next local event for BMW CCA is June 22nd - Mineral Wells

Register online at www.dlbracing.com

I have to say that I am very impressed thus far with the BFG R-1 in 285/30/18 size. mine were takeoffs from a racer, and I have them wrapped on my 18x 10 ET25 wheels and they felt great on track last weekend at MSR. Compared to my OEM 19" setup, I was able to really put the power down far better at the rear with less wheelspin. I did not run My RS-3s that day, but from memory, in both autocross and DE, the BFGs were superior. A 285 or larger tire really helps with grip at the rear.

The tires will rub at full lock, but I was able to both DE and Autocross them with no rubbing unless making a parking lot maneruver. I think the R1s are better than the 275/35 Continental hoosier at this point..
Congratulations Mark, great result! Especially for a pretty much stock car
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #381
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This can't arrive fast enough

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #382
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Vehicle Inspection

I need to have my 1M inspected so it can be registered in Texas. I would greatly appreciate a few recommendations for DFW area shops that (a) do inspections and (b) will take good care of my 1M. Names of specific service managers or techs to ask for would also be very welcome.

I know it's "just an inspection", but I want anyone who touches my car to know what they're doing and to care about doing a good job - especially if it involves driving my car or putting it on a lift.

Thanks for your help!!

P.S. Any other local knowledge, tips or tricks about inspection, registration, etc. are greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid any additional hassles or costs, to the extent these can be prevented.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #383
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
PM sent.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #384
lcrain
Captain
Rep

So I did an event Saturday with Apex at MSR-Cresson on the 1.3 track.

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised with Apex driving academy. I had read some varying reviews of the group and I have to say the event was run as well as any others I have been with. The groups were smaller which was great. Also, for a single day event, this one was great! Six sessions worked out to be A LOT of track time for one day. I was thoroughly tired after this one. I will definitely be doing more events with Apex going forward.

I have driven the 1.7 at Cresson a number of times, but have never done the 1.3 or the 3.1 mile configurations. I must say, the the shorter 1.3 course seemed like it was built for the 1M. After getting a feel for the track in the first session I gained confidence quickly and as the day went on I started to like the 1.3 more and more. I am still an intermediate driver (solo though!) so take my opinions for what they are worth. Also, I am not using any type of data acquisition so I don't have much to benchmark with. That said I felt my 1M had to be putting down some impressive times as compared to others. The 1M felt right at home on the tighter track with shorter straights. Not much shifting needed either, down into second for the hairpin and back to third before the carousel. Overall a great way to spend a saturday!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #385
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like fun. i want to do the 1.3 sometime as well and thought about this but too lazy to make the tire switch/load LOL.

I have done Apex as well and it went OK. It is a lot of track time for a 1 day event and it will wear you out esp. when it is hot out!

Now you need to do the 3.1 and put it all together. Believe it or not, the transitions between the 1.7 and 1.3 really change the track. The run through rattlesnake and down the hill of the 1.3 section can be a lot of fun if you get it right. Get it wrong and off you go. It's not a good place to start your world rally training in a 1M

Another one you might think about doing if you can is Hallett in Sept. This track is a ton of fun.

http://www.noexcusesdrivingschool.com/

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #386
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
Sounds like fun. i want to do the 1.3 sometime as well and thought about this but too lazy to make the tire switch/load LOL.

I have done Apex as well and it went OK. It is a lot of track time for a 1 day event and it will wear you out esp. when it is hot out!

Now you need to do the 3.1 and put it all together. Believe it or not, the transitions between the 1.7 and 1.3 really change the track. The run through rattlesnake and down the hill of the 1.3 section can be a lot of fun if you get it right. Get it wrong and off you go. It's not a good place to start your world rally training in a 1M

Another one you might think about doing if you can is Hallett in Sept. This track is a ton of fun.

I really want to try Hallett as I hear it is an absolute blast. It may have to wait though. I just bought a house so I told myself the track days would slow down for the immediate future so I can start a home upgrade/"oh, shit"/repair fund. Growing up sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #387
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I need to have my 1M inspected so it can be registered in Texas. I would greatly appreciate a few recommendations for DFW area shops that (a) do inspections and (b) will take good care of my 1M. Names of specific service managers or techs to ask for would also be very welcome.

I know it's "just an inspection", but I want anyone who touches my car to know what they're doing and to care about doing a good job - especially if it involves driving my car or putting it on a lift.

Thanks for your help!!

P.S. Any other local knowledge, tips or tricks about inspection, registration, etc. are greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid any additional hassles or costs, to the extent these can be prevented.
you need to have a valid insurance card with you -

go to inspection station -

the inspection on new vehicles (since OBD II) is done by computer. So the tech will connect the car to a machine. If your car is stock and doesnt have any catalytic converters deleted it should pass.

note: the tech is required to do a brake test.... they normally do this by driving the vehicle around the parking lot of their establishment once to make sure the brakes function properly -

pay $39.95 for sticker to be placed on dash

the end
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #388
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post

Count me in as lazy too... i went to the autocross Saturday - ( Hint: a lot cheaper than a DE but not near as much track time! ) I was too lazy to bring my good R tires and swap in the heat and used my RS-3s to manage my runs enough to get first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #389
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I really want to try Hallett as I hear it is an absolute blast. It may have to wait though. I just bought a house so I told myself the track days would slow down for the immediate future so I can start a home upgrade/"oh, shit"/repair fund. Growing up sucks!

hallet is about 4 hrs away near Tulsa. It's a 3 day weekend for Solo drivers which is great. Oftentimes they will run both directions on Friday, or perhaps backwards on Friday and regular for Saturday/Sunday so you may get a little two step/action by going all three days.

I think the majority of drivers feel that Hallet is definitely a better track than MSR 1.7 either direction. the 3.1 is definitely the best configuration at MSR, but it does have some elements of danger (as does the 1.3 but not near as much as Kelly mentioned)

Congrats on the house!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #390
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

Hey everyone, just wanted to extend an invitation to anyone in the area to NTBC. We're just a good group of BMW enthusiasts who meet up monthly for a BBQ. Check us out on FB and its a free BBQ btw! We also do cruises and other events such as cars and coffee.
2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #391
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Lone Star Chapter BMW Autocross #6 – Saturday, August 10th, 2013 TMS Bus Lot

Hey gang... just a quick reminder of the next BMW CCA autocross which will be in town at the Texas motor Speedway Bus Lot.
I'd love to see a few more 1Ms out there! Even if you’ve never autocrossed before, come on out at give it a try. Instructors are provided for novices and people wanting to try the sport. We also have a novice class, so any new drivers will compete against other new drivers... Or... Test your skillz and come throw down with me in class G!

---------------------------
Registration is now open for the 2013 LSC BMWCCA AX #6 Saturday, August 10th, 2013. Registration is capped at 65!!!

More information can be found on the LSC BMWCCA website http://www.lscbmwcca.org/, and if you want to drive in the event you must register. Specatators are also welcome... and if you don't want to compete or just want to check it out... come on out and get a ride and see what it's all about!

Cost is $45.00 for BMWCCA members.
--------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #392
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Saw someone's Valencia orange 1M today during lunch on Greenville.

Very nice and clean car !
      09-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #393
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Circuit of The Americas Sept 20-22?

I'm thinking of going to Circuit of The Americas for the ALMS and World Endurance Championship races in two weeks (September 20-22). The Audi R18 e-tron quattro will be there and the DeltaWing coupe will be making its debut, as well. And there will be lots of GT cars, of course.

All tickets are the same price - $79 ($87.94 with fees) for a 3-day pass. And it looks like the BMW CCA Tejas Chapter is hosting a BMW Car Corral ($139).

I'll probably do the BMW Car Corral, but I'm not sure if I'll get to select my seat. If I have a choice, where is the best place to watch the action? The reserved seating areas are in the Main Grandstand, at Turn 1 and at Turn 15. From the map below, it looks like Turn 15 would be the best because it should offer a pretty good view of Turns 12-15. I'd especially love to hear opinions of those who have been there. Reserved seats also have full access to the General Admission areas, so there's no point in buying a General Admission ticket.

Here are a few more questions:
  1. What are some good General Admission locations for viewing the action?
  2. Does anyone know where I might be able to find discounted tickets?
  3. Is it worth it to buy a Car Corral ticket? It seems like a pretty good deal. For $60 more you get parking that is presumably safer than general parking ($45). The other intangible benefits, like being able to meet and spend time with other BMW enthusiasts, should more than cover the remaining $15 difference.The Tejas Chapter site also mentions "a select number of 'hot laps' on the circuit itself for purchasers of the package." I'm not sure what exactly that means, but even at low speed, it would be cool to lap the track.
  4. Are any of you planning on going?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #394
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am going. Out if pocket now but I did get the BMW package deal. Ill answer some of what I know later. T15 is the best location for reserves but you can roam all over the track but keep in mind it is a lot of walking.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #395
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Agree that T15 is the best reserved seating as a lot of passes are made in T12. T1 is cool too as you can see a large portion of the track (but a distance) from there. T1 is not a great passing spot (within class) but is great for watching cars try it anyway. For GA seating I would check out T11 (nice slope to sit on that gets you elevated above the track), T12 and T1.

Definitely walk around the track even if you get the reserve seating, it's a fabulous facility and worth checking out.

Hope to go myself, though it'll be a last minute decision.
      09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #396
BrianB496
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 ///M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I'll be there also. I think all the BMW corral tix are going to be in Turn 15. I haven't heard anything about parade laps from anyone at COTA, but I have seen the ALMS .pdf schedule for the weekend and the only coral laps mentioned are for Corvette, and they are on Friday.
Appreciate 0