BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 135i

Click, Click, Clicking me crazy

Good evening all, I am new to BMWs and this forum having just traded my 2009 Z06 for a rental house and a 135i. Good deal for me.

That said my little 135 seem to have an issue with the drivers side front wheel. When I make a hard right hand turn at low speed the suspension/wheel makes this clicking sound. Only happens when turning to the right and only comes from the front right tire. If I go to a parking lot and cut the wheel hard right and drive is small tight circles the car constantly clicks, one after another quickly. Click, Click, Click, click, etc...

Wheel bearings? Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Squash.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

The front suspension bearings needs to be grease out.

Have this issue on my car, BMW says I wash my car too often and water gets to the bearings.

Nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
BMW says I wash my car too often and water gets to the bearings.
Ehhh?
      07-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wheel bearings or suspension bushings?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Suspension bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
MikeNeo
BOSS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black/Red 135i

check if your swaybar bushings melted to the swaybar. this happened to me.
      07-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
MikeNeo
BOSS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black/Red 135i

and its a common problem
      07-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK Mate, I believe we have a regional terminology difference here. I fly to Melbourne on the 14th of July to see some Footie at the MCG. Beers?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Have this issue on my car, BMW says I wash my car too often and water gets to the bearings.

Nothing major.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNeo View Post
check if your swaybar bushings melted to the swaybar. this happened to me.
Is it obvious when they have melted? Or will I need to pull the bar to know?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Stealership says its the the tree piece rotors and that the clicking is from the cycles of heating and cooling and now the rivets which hold the cap to the rotor surface together simply click under turning load? Any one else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

The 135 doesn't have 3 piece rotors....unless you have a 1m...
      07-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Nothing major.
No such animal on our cars! We ain't driving no 'merican old muscle car from the 70's with zerk (grease) fittings.

Our wheel bearings are sealed and so too are our ball joints/tie rods/sub frame bushings. Only thing that POSSIBLE could be lubed/greased is the sway-bar bushing.

OP something that is rotating is causing the sound. A stone(or nail!) in a tire or maybe your brake pads moving in the carrier. Maybe warped rotor(?) moving the pads around? Perhaps try applying the brakes with your left foot as you drive in circles making this noise.

I suppose it could also be a bad ball joint, but that's rare. I would think your suspension would need to move (up or down) while driving in a circle making this noise.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
BMW says I wash my car too often and water gets to the bearings.
OMFG. What do I know, but come on. You wash your car too much?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
The 135 doesn't have 3 piece rotors....unless you have a 1m...
The 135 rotors are not forged from a single piece of metal according to my dealer. I look at it closely and the brake pad contact surface of the rotor is a one piece of metal which is riveted to the stud cap of the rotor which is i guess why they call it a three piece rotor?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

OP something that is rotating is causing the sound. A stone(or nail!) in a tire or maybe your brake pads moving in the carrier. Maybe warped rotor(?) moving the pads around? Perhaps try applying the brakes with your left foot as you drive in circles making this noise.

I suppose it could also be a bad ball joint, but that's rare. I would think your suspension would need to move (up or down) while driving in a circle making this noise.

Dack
Thanks for the post, I will check the front brake pads as they were just replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I had this problem last summer, it drove me crazy. There are a few threads about it. Does it sound kind of like when a kit puts a baseball (or other) card in the spokes of his bicycle?

There are a couple other threads about it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220059
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560875
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704094

What happened to me was.. I had some breyton wheels. With the stock tires they didn't click. I put on some Hankook tires and all of a sudden the clicking started! However, many other peoples running the same tires in the same sizes didn't have the problem. Wasn't the CV joint. Wasn't the sway bar, or any other suspension parts. Wasn't the brakes or the bearings. The dealership put on a set of stock wheels and tires and the sound went away, so they just blamed my aftermarket tires. When I switched to winter tires the clicking DID go away... but I don't know if tires CAN make that sound... and that still doesn't explain the people with different tires having the same problem and the people with the same tires not having this problem. Either way, it's not a huge problem or dangerous, from what I gather. Just annoying.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashAZ View Post
Stealership says its the the tree piece rotors and that the clicking is from the cycles of heating and cooling and now the rivets which hold the cap to the rotor surface together simply click under turning load? Any one else have this issue?
I run Stoptech ST-60s up front and heard some clicking from the driver side wheel this weekend. Only happened on one turn... a 110 degree hard right that is sightly off camber (40-45 mph). Thought for a second that the wheel was flexing and hitting the caliper since there's only about a 1/16" between the caliper and wheel. I didn't find any marks on the caliper, so I just figured is was time for new bearings. Would love to believe it was the floating rotor but it sure didn't sound like the pinging & popping you hear when the rotors cool. It could also be felt in the steering wheel, although very slightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I had this problem last summer, it drove me crazy. There are a few threads about it. Does it sound kind of like when a kit puts a baseball (or other) card in the spokes of his bicycle?

More questions than answers... Is there anyone from BMW on this forum? My Audi and Corvette forums have factory folks motioning and offering solutions?????
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashAZ View Post
More questions than answers...
Yep. It's a common, yet completely impossible to pin down so far (if you're experiencing the same thing we all are). There WAS an even bigger thread about it, and at least a dozen other people chimed in to mention they also have the problem, but I couldn't find it.

There are definitely some techs on here, but I am not sure they speak up very often as techs. This forum and its members tend to be heavy on mods, and BMW employees have reason to not really admit they modded their own cars (for warranty's sake!).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'd also check the e90post section of the forums to see if it's a universal thing.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Yep. It's a common, yet completely impossible to pin down so far (if you're experiencing the same thing we all are). There WAS an even bigger thread about it, and at least a dozen other people chimed in to mention they also have the problem, but I couldn't find it.

There are definitely some techs on here, but I am not sure they speak up very often as techs. This forum and its members tend to be heavy on mods, and BMW employees have reason to not really admit they modded their own cars (for warranty's sake!).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'd also check the e90post section of the forums to see if it's a universal thing.
CHeers~!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Andrew517
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike

What happened to me was.. I had some breyton wheels. With the stock tires they didn't click. I put on some Hankook tires and all of a sudden the clicking started! However, many other peoples running the same tires in the same sizes didn't have the problem. Wasn't the CV joint. Wasn't the sway bar, or any other suspension parts. Wasn't the brakes or the bearings. The dealership put on a set of stock wheels and tires and the sound went away, so they just blamed my aftermarket tires. When I switched to winter tires the clicking DID go away... but I don't know if tires CAN make that sound... and that still doesn't explain the people with different tires having the same problem and the people with the same tires not having this problem. Either way, it's not a huge problem or dangerous, from what I gather. Just annoying.
In my case, I am using BMW Performance wheels and stock tires, however, clicking sound also happened. No idea what happen, as the dealer already replaced a new set of brake discs and pads for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

I just had this on mine - took it in to BMW and they said it was the wheel bearings.... Replaced those ad clicking went away!

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0