BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #23
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

no you have to flash it back, as far as I know there is no dual map system for bmw
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:30 AM   #24
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
if your going to run stock boost a stock system is sufficient if your going to run boosted you are going to need a LPFP stage 2 and port injection or throttle body injection.

I don't think you are going to need a new HPFP if you run port injection or throttle body injection.

I've got the new fuel lines this week and haven't fitted them yet but its more precautionary than anything.
By boosted you mean you mean stock turbos at say 15psi?

Quote:
no you have to flash it back, as far as I know there is no dual map system for bmw
Ah dam lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #25
BMWhoarder
Resisting mods
Australia
Rep

most of the current flashes dont vary much in the low load timing and fuel tables.
Running an e85 flash on 98 will be fine until you can find e85 provided you stay out of the high load areas (i.e dont go WOT all over the place)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #26
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba114 View Post
most of the current flashes dont vary much in the low load timing and fuel tables.
Running an e85 flash on 98 will be fine until you can find e85 provided you stay out of the high load areas (i.e dont go WOT all over the place)
Thanks man.. good to know

Am keen to do this.. need to figure out numbers etc.. Just another thing to do lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

By boosted I mean anything above the stock boost targets
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #28
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

### Update ###
Parts have arrived

ER Sports Oil Cooler
BMS Oil Catch Can
VRSF Charge pipe
VRSF 5” Stepped Intercooler
AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake

Am going to do some pulls and runs today and if possible then install charge pipe and Intake and see if it makes any difference.

There was a video going around slamming the VRSF FMIC quality but the one I got is perfect. Very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #29
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Not on stock turbos but the intercooler will give you a good lift in power in fourth but no so much in lower gears
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #30
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not on stock turbos but the intercooler will give you a good lift in power in fourth but no so much in lower gears
Thanks man.. Tbh it was more a preventative thing.. I wanted to let the engine run as cool as possible and breathe as much as possible throughout its entire life since I intend to keep it.

Downpipes arrived today too.. Just waiting on inlets.. cmonn Tony!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #31
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

The biggest gains will be the down pipes and intercooler all the rest are good reliability mods.

I've got inlets coming too but I doubt and significant power gains are to be had on stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #32
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The biggest gains will be the down pipes and intercooler all the rest are good reliability mods.

I've got inlets coming too but I doubt and significant power gains are to be had on stock turbos.
Yep, i'm not aiming for 700hp. I'm aiming for 400ish at the wheels. No one thing will help as much as those 2, the rest are incremental improvements here and there. EG Inlets, allow me to keep more boost higher up in RPM. etc. Small little things that add up.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #33
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

After doing my research, i'll be adding a backend flash. Will be done via MHD and will be the BMS Pump flash.

Reasons:
I loved the smoothness of the procede v3, It's something i've missed from jb4. Also the procede seemed to be more consistent compared to the jb4. From what i've read, the backend flash will give a smoother ride and allow more boost due to lower timing.

It makes sense that if we can teach the DME what it's already doing via the piggyback, and let it do it correctly from the start rather than tricking it with signals. That in itself is a better situation to be in.

This is a quote from Terry
"With the back end flash map there are lots of subtle changes that all add up to a better overall tune."

I plan to get all this dynod before/after with some mods so I'll report back when my inlets come in and I can do that
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #34
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

### Update ###
Everything is being installed this weekend.

Additions:
TBI Platinum by Fuelit
Stage 2 LPFP by Fuelit
MHD backend flash

To be installed:
VTT inlets
VRSF v2 Downpipes
ER sports oil cooler
VRSF 5" stepped intercooler
Stage 2 LPFP
TBI

And on stand by is Trebila to help me with two custom flashes. One for ron98 and one for e85.

Exciting as this shit has been sitting around for a while waiting to be installed. Shout out to Marty and other guys on the forum for all the help! I believe this should crack the 300rkw quite easily, just not sure how far it'll go. As I didn't upgrade my tmap sensor so i'm capped at 20psi on stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #35
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

No problem hitting 300rwk with those parts
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #36
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

Are you also going to run a jb4 mate ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #37
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

@marty hope so lol!

@questionable yes. Jb4 stacked with custom bef by trebila.

Also trebila suggested the latest Alpina trans flash. I mentioned to him Marty's position / testing and he said if I went that route he couldn't tweak pedal maps etc. also that the latest Alpina should be better than latest BMW update. So I'll give it a try.

The weekend can't come soon enough! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #38
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

did you endup going with the PPK2 with bigger fan etc etc dh58
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #39
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
Not yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #40
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
The sports oil cooler valve technically won't reduce your oil temp - it just prematurely keeps the oil temp low so it takes longer to get up to operating temperature (equating to more wear), which is far from ideal as you want your oil temp to reach 100° C fairly quickly so water particles boil off and vapourise. Even with the sports oil cooler valve, under heavy load, the oil will eventually reach the same high/maximum temperature. This is because when the oil reaches the factory thermostat temp, with or without the sports oil cooler valve, the thermostat will then remain open, therefore, the oil temp will increase at the usual rate to reach the maximum oil temp usually experienced.

The only way to reduce oil temps is to use a more efficient oil cooler.
Agree with all of the above. Best operation is to get the engine up to it's design operating temp (109+) ASAP and then try to keep temps from getting too far above this, by using bigger oil cooler if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
After the conversation about the sport oil cooler valve, i'm not going to do it. Am going to stick with my original upgrade of the existing setup. Works the same, but has a bigger radiator so its able to cool better. Keeps in line with my way of modding the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
I originally bought the PPK2 harder but ended up on-selling it. PPK2 is extra water cooling. My water temps don't get much above 100 on road or track, even on a hot summer day. If I was tracking at Hidden Valley I'd maybe look for this, but for me it just adds unnecessary complexity & extra weight over the front end. Temps may be more of an issue on auto cars?

I like the idea of the sleeper concept. Bar my tint, lower height and bigger (but OEM look) brakes, mine has always looked OEM. Never been hassled. Finally got Qld Transport modification plate for mods on Saturday though, so one less concern.
      07-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #41
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

holy shit lol.. Got everything installed by Totti84.. Took it for a drive last night and today.. omg

Newly Installed:
VTT inlets
ER sports oil cooler
VRSF 5" stepped intercooler
Turbosmart Dual DV
TBI Platinum ethanol kit + sensor
AD Engineering thermostat
N20 tmap sensor

Also had done:
Coolant change
Oil change
Valves cleaned (was pretty clean as I've been using ethanol for a while, but totti got it all done right!)

So all up, the car is FBO with Jb4 + MHD backend. Ready for Trebila

I haven't been able to do a proper log yet as I don't know where to do it in Sydney. However boost comes on fast and just stays there all the way. Literally from 80-thespeedlimit it just pulls so cleanly.

Here are some learnings from the process:
Stay away from ER. The location of the oil cooler connections is in a very dodgy spot, right underneath the cooler and touching the bumper bar. The fitment isn't great and almost required my oil coolant lines to be visible and not protected. In fact right now one of them kind of is not protected, if a rock gets in at speed i'm probably done. I am not comfortable with this at all and am already looking at changing it to something more secure, better designed.

Upgraded Oil coolers and VTT inlets are not meant to be used together. Especially if the cooling lines go directly down rather than across and down like OEM. It becomes a traffic jam pushing the inlet down and close to the pully.

More on ER, so the oil cooler lines are known to cause issues because they rub against the radiator fan. Now to add to this the VTT inlets being there, the problem is compounded.

Eflex from Caltex is e65, tested from 2 locations. So they are definitely lieing about 70-85%

The oil cooler doesn't do much in traffic and when you aren't moving. However get on the highway and you'll drop to 90 easy. In traffic and driving hard it will be about 110.

More to come once i've got logs for Trebila to review. And I can get him to do me a tune. I am doing a ron98 tune and e85tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:29 AM   #42
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

One additional thing. Totti and I didn't discuss my Turbosmart dual bov/dv. So he's installed as BOV. So I sound fully sick atm lol. Not used to it, so not very sleeperish right now. I need to change this asap lol.

ps. Anyone know where I can get a transmission flash done? Trebila has asked me to do it first. Looking to get this done cheap
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #43
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

The ethanol sensor reads about 5-6 points under what it should be.

Use the testube method for a more accurate result

Its definetly e70 in winter

Stu from advan can do the transmission flash for you
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #44
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
One additional thing. Totti and I didn't discuss my Turbosmart dual bov/dv. So he's installed as BOV. So I sound fully sick atm lol. Not used to it, so not very sleeperish right now. I need to change this asap lol.
No mate, they are plumbed to recirculate back into the intake (DV style). With the trumpets installed they will vent to atmo (BOV).

Everything you are hearing is due to your exposed DCi's.

Just keep playing with the soft/hard setting on the Turbosmart's or buy an enclosed AFE airbox
Appreciate 0