BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Bad 1M noise!

Am getting a reasonably loud metallic crunching noise from the left side of my car when driving at low speed.

I think it's coming from inside one of the wheels and sounds a bit like a coke can being squeezed/partly crushed. The guy in the parking lot said he thought it might be a clip on the brakes or something but it doesn't seem related to brakes unless he meant the clip is being hit by the rotating wheel.

It went away for a few days and then returned today, so I don't think it's a stone in the wheel.

Any ideas guys? Looks like I'm off to the dealer.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Not enough info to say really.
      10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Pebbles ?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704094
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657092
      10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Pebbles ?
Bam Bam......sorry.... could not resist

Seriously though, you may want to jack up the car, pull the wheel, and just look around in there to see if there are any indications if something (rock, etc) has found its way up there.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I had a similar noise in my passenger rear wheel area that would present itself during track events or occasionally after taking that wheel on and off. It turned out to be the splash guard behind the rotor. I just bent it a little away from the rotor and problem solved. Sometimes when I pull that wheel off it would catch on the splash shield and I assume bend it forward. And I think the heat from the track would cause the metal to twist a little, or something was expanding enough that contact was being made. Mine sounded like a pebble in a coke can also.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
Bamm-Bamm ......sorry.... could not resist
Pebbles Flinstone might have been a second name for my daughter, but my wife would have veto'd that for sure.

Name:  MissPink.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  59.1 KB
      10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Am getting a reasonably loud metallic crunching noise from the left side of my car when driving at low speed.

I think it's coming from inside one of the wheels and sounds a bit like a coke can being squeezed/partly crushed. The guy in the parking lot said he thought it might be a clip on the brakes or something but it doesn't seem related to brakes unless he meant the clip is being hit by the rotating wheel.

It went away for a few days and then returned today, so I don't think it's a stone in the wheel.

Any ideas guys? Looks like I'm off to the dealer.

I've had the exact same issue. Except, by the time I was driving to the dealer the sound stopped on its own. You can imagine the interaction w/ the dealer - they looked at it, and of course didn't find anything. And then of course on the way home - after a high G, low-speed turn, the noise came back. Was able to get it to stop by doing a 7 mph slalom.

I eventually got my wheel off (left rear) and couldn't find anything - also lightly pulled on the rotor dust shield. Hasn't been back since.

I did mange to get a video clip - will post if I find the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Thanks guys, will have a look at the rotor dust shield/splash guard. No doubt if I go to the dealer the noise will totally disappear!!

Clarkson on the 1M

Last edited by NPVPositive; 12-02-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
.......No doubt if I go to the dealer the noise will totally disappear!!
That's why I only drive my car at the dealership, never any problems!
      12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Jay_///Mowner
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Had this issue on mine, clicking/ grating noise from rhr wheel. it was the limited slip diff, they used the wrong oil, (castrol saf xj) it needs saf xj with 'fm booster'. Speek to you dealer, theres a P.U.M.A case for this issue. It fixed the fault straight away.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_1m View Post
Had this issue on mine, clicking/ grating noise from rhr wheel. it was the limited slip diff, they used the wrong oil, (castrol saf xj) it needs saf xj with 'fm booster'. Speek to you dealer, theres a P.U.M.A case for this issue. It fixed the fault straight away.
Thanks for the feedback. Included the info in the issues log (penultimate bullet point): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

For the correct 1M fluids and Technical Service Bulletin regarding the rear diff oil: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...73&postcount=1
      12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I had this noise on Saturday. I took the wheel off and moved the disc guard. Problem solved. Looks like this issue has occured before reading the above.

What caused it to start making the noise I am not too sure other than I did run over a piece of wood on a dual carriageway
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I've had this as well. Only happened at low speed, sub 5 mph or so. Very loud, like hitting a coke can with a hammer. Went away but then would re occur. It's either a stone stuck between the brake rotor and the back plate, or something to do with the handbrake adjustment. Many explanations on m3 post, search for m3 cowbell, no really. Fairly well known problem.
Got my dealer to take a look when they fitted my winter tyres, they cleaned and adjusted the handbrake mechanism, and it hasn't been back. Although the stone could have just fallen out by now as we'll if that was the real cause The re occurrence was the strange bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
frazo
Rep
Drives: 1M COUPE

It happened to me once, but never came back again.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Thanks guys, will have a look at the rotor dust shield/splash guard. No doubt if I go to the dealer the noise will totally disappear!!
Same here mate.. I think I must of bent the rotor shield whilst cleaning the wheels.. Its seems that the brush got caught on the shield, and pulled it forward, only slightly, but enough to hit rotor while cornering..

Bent the shield back a touch and problem solved..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

i get this same noise occasionally-sure its just gravel from my drive getting caught up in the splash guard behind the rotor..
no biggie
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
I've had this rustling coke can problem around three times. Pretty sure it was pebbles caught between the rotor and dust shield. Each time it occurred was after driving over some gravel, and each time it went away by itself after a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

This happended to me as well and the guys at the shop where I install all my aftermarket stuff found the damn pebble that was causing the tin can noise.
Check out these pics:
Attached Images

12-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
This happended to me as well and the guys at the shop where I install all my aftermarket stuff found the damn pebble that was causing the tin can noise.
Check out these pics:
Scary and informative!

Just like my first wife. (Repeating a fellow member's joke here)

Sad thing is she really was and I am barely joking.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Had this again today but on the opposite rear wheel to last time. Moved the guard around the disc and the noise has gone now, no stones/debris though.
Appreciate 0