BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Anvil
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 128i Coupe

Carpet damage- Covered by Warranty---First time post

I purchased a 2008 128i coupe last December and am bringing the vehicle in this week for its last service under warranty.
I noticed recently that the carpet is torn at the juncture of the floor to the center console. When I first discovered this tear, I surmised that this might be due to normal wear and tear or some extreme stress initiated by the previous owner. However, on further investigation I noticed that the carpet did not lay flat against the the floor/vertical wall of the center console at the juncture. The carpet bridged that junction. So it seems to me that a case could be made that the carpet was not installed correctly since it cannot withstand the weight of a person's foot resting on that corner of the carpet and the console.
Do you believe that this should be covered under warranty or not?

Thank you for your consideration of this question
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Anvil
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 128i Coupe

To answer my own question... The dealer agreed that the carpet was defective and had a replacement shipped in. It took a couple of days to obtain the part. There was only one Black front carpet in North America. The shipmant was received in overnight, otherwise it may have taken over a week to get.

Hats off to BMW for standing behind their product; and my local dealer, Sudbury BMW, for not giving a lame excuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Congrats. Sounds like a good dealer going to bat for you.