E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is Naviagation worth it???

10-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #45
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It's silly to keep arguing personal preferences (that's why there are options), but I noticed one of her choices was not the Premium package... so, she's considering spending $2k on a nav system that she may or may not use - and if so, occasionally. Meanwhile, she's not considering: Leather upholstry, Power seats, Auto-dimming mirrors, Bluetooth, BMW Assist (if I were buying an expensive car for my teenage daughter this would be a necessity), Garage door openers, etc.

To me the car without Premium is just not worth having. Navigation is a nice thing to add, but to me if you're choosing between options for budgetary reasons it comes off the list first.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #46
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have no sport package and have the navigation

I-Drive/Nav adds so much more to this car, its unbelievable

I was one of those guys that didn't get the point of nav but after using it for the past month, I'm glad that I did get it.
      10-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #47
nrg09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda& proud of it

I wish they offered just Idrive without navigation, that would be the way I would want to go.

Click here to view the most horrific mod and most hilarious thread ever!!

|O /\/\ \rrrr/
|O/rrrr\ \/\/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #48
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
To me, Navi w/ idrive is more of a show-off factor than functionality.
Unless you travel state to state very frequently and needs road direction
assistance, whats the point of navi. Sure it shows cool features on the navi
screen, but I rather save 2grand and spend it on front lip, lowering springs
and maybe intake when it comes out. Or just spend it all on nice rims/tires.

Now, if you hook up your navi to play DVD or watch T.V., thats worth it!

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #49
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
No regrets from me. Nav has helped me navigate not only to new destinations but around many traffic jams - the live traffic updates are a life saver
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #50
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
^ thats actually a great idea. I didn't know navi provides that info too.

Thank god there are not much traffic in Oregon state. Advantage of living in non-major cities. lol.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #51
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
No regrets from me. Nav has helped me navigate not only to new destinations but around many traffic jams - the live traffic updates are a life saver
Hmmm... now THAT I would like! I also was not aware that feature was part of the system. Maybe next time...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #52
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I don't have many better alternatives with the traffic here anyway lol

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #53
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIF65GM

But personally I am probably better than any Nav system at directions/maps myself.
I thought & said the very same thing until the Nav. proved me wrong!
32 years I lived in New Jersey before moving to NY State in 1991.
I set the Nav. for my Father's house...
Don't u know it, took me to my Father's better & faster then way I go.

Forget the directions. the Nav. is way more than that.
U can go to any state & find, malls, restaurants, even funeral homes

Sorry I don't care who u are, no one knows every bit of their State.
Navigation is great & knows way more then any one will credit it for
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #54
blackE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: sp blk 330i

if your so torn why not get both...how can you be dropping 40 grand and not spring for another 2

get it the way you like so you won't have regrets later
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #55
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackE90
if your so torn why not get both...how can you be dropping 40 grand and not spring for another 2

get it the way you like so you won't have regrets later
I tend to agree with this: get it the way YOU like it. If you are already scraching for the money and absolutely need to decide between, simply ask yourself the use you would do with it. If you cannot afford all of the gadgets, then get what has value (re-sale AND fun or actual usefulness) to you. If Nav have a value and use for you, more than fun factor then go for it. It doesn't really matter what people think here for themselves: each to his own. But the comments you've gotten thus far at least may give you some background info on each options regardless of what people think. But it might also confuse you even further...

I don't know maybe it's age, but I tend to be more analytic and think more in the way of what use will I actually do of it. This is why I personnaly (here I go again, answering with my own experience ! well...) went for the Premium and sport pkg. No real use for Nav and the various setup iDrive gives will, in part, be available in the sept upgrade (I hope).

Now enough. That was long ... I'm tired now... A wish you a very satisfying decision for yourself and myself or anybody else on this board (all experts and knowledgeable, but they are still not in your place ...).

Ciao abd happy buying.

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #56
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 330i

If you can live without the iDrive system, definitely think about going with the premium package and the sports package. The premium package truly comes with a bunch of features that make your car much more enjoyable.

If you plan on aftermarket wheels and suspension definitely pass on the sports package!

Also, if you are proficient in using websites like mapquest, yahoo maps, etc.., usually have a destination in mind before leaving, and know your greater area, you can "almost" get by without a navi!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #57
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
my .02:

My options in order of preference:
1. Sport package - Who doesn't want better handling/better car feel?
2. Premium package
3. Satellite - Sirius
4. Cold weather (have not had to use yet)
5. Nav + iDrive. Fun to play with. Useability vs an aftermarket unit is questionable.

Lastly and I did not get it - 6 CD changer. iPod or MP3 player aux in jack makes the trunk mounted CD changer obsolete. If it was in the dash, maybe I'd use it. But the trunk kills all spontaneity of grabbing a CD that's within arms reach.

Good luck in optioning out your car.
      10-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #58
UK E91
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Easy choice for me as I really dislike the Sports package (the new M-Sport ruins the look of an otherwise great car IMO) but couldn't do without Sat Nav.

Don't listen to all the 'experts' who've never had it but have damned it based on prejudice or the motoring press.

Sat Nav turns a potentially dull interior into a multi-media info-tainment zone! It's so much more than just navigation.

Although I'm a fully paid up Sat Nav convert, I would have to confess that it's way too expensive and if you do low mileage and have never had it - you won't miss it. But once you've had it - you'll never go back - be warned!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #59
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sport package in US is not the same as the M-Sport /tuner look of Europe/rest of world.

Question - In some makes, the nav screens can be used as DVD players outside of US. DVD ability as long as car is in parked position. Our insane liability/regulatory environment scared off the manufacturers from offering this.

Can you watch DVDs in the BMW in "Park" outside of US?
      10-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #60
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Several points:
1) the brain of a 19 year-old 'girl' (?!) is better equipped to learn I-drive than the brain of a 'groan man', for much the same reasons that my 11 year-old son can acquire software programming skills and new languages faster than I can.
2) Looking at the choice a different way, would you rather have a Honda accord EX with Navi or a BMW 325i without? No doubt in my mind which way to go, but I do not need an urban highway living room.
3) Best option of all: get sports, premium, and navi for less than you were intending to spend by getting your car via ED and using FF miles to get there for free.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 02:45 AM   #61
warrenatc
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Nav/Systems info is awesome. Got me to Munich and around to O-fest through all the one-way streets with no problem and out again. Would have been confusing and stressful if I did not have it. A huge plus in my book. Good resale value for future sale and also the screen could be used for other things as technologies are developed and implemented like night vision, internet etc.
Appreciate 0