BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Video: BMW ActiveE Production Begins

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW ActiveE Production Begins
COMMENTS

As this new video from BMW shows, the production of the BMW ActiveE has begun. The ActiveE is an electric powered - zero emission vehicle based on the 1-series.

The video shows Mirco Schwarze, a production leader at the BMW Leipzig plant explaining that the ActiveE's production has been integrated into the regular 1-series production line and how quickly the ActiveE dream came to fruition in three years.

The BMW ActiveE will be available for lease in select markets beginning in Fall 2011 for $499 per month for 24 months with a down payment $2,250. It will be available for lease in the metropolitan markets of Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, New York and Boston as well as the state of Connecticut. The ActiveE has a maximum power output of 170 hp and a maximum torque of 184 lb-ft, the latter is available from a standstill as typical of electric powered vehicles. This makes for an acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in under nine seconds while top speed is electronically limited at around 90 mph.

For those interested, here's a recent Q&A regarding the ActiveE:

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Thats great news. But who is getting them since the signups arent up yet?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
Oh boy I'm so excited...boring....does anyone care to see this car out there on the road?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Oh boy I'm so excited...boring....does anyone care to see this car out there on the road?
i agree, while it is a great concept, its extremely boring and couldnt ever see myself getting one...ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

I disagree - this car is significant because it shows that all-electric vehicles don't have to be neutered bean pods.

If it were available in my market - Atlanta - I'd most probably buy one provided that I have access to the requisite charging places. There is a public charging station a block from my apt, and one about a mile from my work.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I'm just the type that needs the performance aspect, I couldn't sacrifice 130hp for sake of going green. While its a great step in the right direction, its just not mature enough yet for me to think about getting one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Full blown electric vehicles arent for everyone, that is very obvious due to distance limitations, charging stat... its an age old debate.

The Foward thinking for this technology is to use it in a manner that will benefit all.. For instance.. where i work we have a need for a "runner" vehicle to go between facilities and do mail runs and bank drops etc etc etc.. Its basicllly a fixed run every day. We also are trying to be "green" corporate wise. I have foward this to my general manager just this morning as it would be a great car to replace our current car that was wiped out after getting hit by a CEMENT TRUCK.. ( and it was a Smart Car >> driver ok.. rear ended all is good) It could make a great marketing piece as we are very well known locally ( i.e. wrapped with necessary wording)

Think outside the Box...
      07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do. I want a small, safe, reliable, cheap, and fun transport to work, as does my father. I never use all 300 of my ponies on a normal commute and at close to $4.30 a gallon gas is getting a bit expensive and it is a big expense to almost cut out all together. Especially for my dad who has a 150 mile round trip commute. And before you say anything hes the boss and will be installing a charging station in his parking spot for charging while at work

These things are also allowed in the HOV lane with a clean pass and are basically free to run with a great lease price.

and its a 1er, the perfect size and loads of fun thrown in on top of it.

So again, why wouldnt I want it?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

This car is leased because BMW could not sell it at a profit.
      07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Its leased because its a beta test and they wont be making spare parts so in order to meet US laws requiring these parts BMW, under law, must have all models returned to them and destroyed.

Its the same thing that GM did with the EV1, although BMW seems far more committed to electric cars than GM was.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
True... and to add to that, the lease isnt making money either.. not on the small production run..

Although we tend to believe that everything around us is connected to the almighty dollar, and if it doesnt make an immediate profit, then we should never do it, There are things in life that are done because its the right thing to do. That holds true for Personal and business decisions in life.
      07-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Hokie135Hi
Black Magic
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [6.06]
Love to track this damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
True... and to add to that, the lease isnt making money either.. not on the small production run..
I see this as a two-year rental of an interesting gizmo, not as a competitive, cost-effective lease of a passenger car. It's possible to make the latter argument, but I wouldn't jump through the rationalization hoops.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
On the topic of pure electric vehicles, their main issue is lack of range, which is why they are not suitable for the general public just yet. Supposedly within the next decade or two, we are supposed to see serious improvements in battery capacity using nano technology allowing EV's capable of range similar to an internal combustion vehicle. Assuming this technology breakthrough does happen and isn't too costly to manufacture, it would be what brings electric vehicles to the masses. Some people think that when that day comes, it will mean the death of internal combustion. I don't think that will be the case, as my prediction is that many people will have an EV for their daily driver with a 'classic' internal combustion vehicle as a weekend car.

What really interests me though, is will we see our electric power grid infrastructure built up and improved over this same period of time? In some parts of the country, the power grid becomes very stressed during the summer months when everyone is running their AC. How will the infrastructure handle the hundreds to thousands of EV's being charged everyday when they become more prevalent? It seems that the general public isn't aware how the majority of electricity is generated as well. They may think they are being green by no longer burning a fossil fuel in their cars, but it is very possible that electricity was generated by a coal fired power plant. These plants will have to burn more coal to increase their output in order to satisfy the additional demand on the grid. Who knows, maybe we'll see more wind, solar, and hydro power plants come online during that time to offset the demand.

Sorry for the long post, I just find it an interesting topic.
      07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
When NYC had a bunch of MINI E's running around for evaluation with the Street Condition Observation Unit and I saw one in my neighborhood, I whipped a u turn and talked to the driver for a while about the car. So yes, someone does care to see a rare BMW built EV out there on the road.

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Electric cars are fantastic concepts, but I truly don't see them as a useful option.

Sure the vehicle is clean, but the delivery of electricity to the vehicle still isn't (coal or nuclear power providing your electricity) - Green Fail; Some even argue that the creation of those batteries do more harm for the environment - Questionable Green Fail.

Does anyone have a cell phone or laptop? Ever have the display say you have a little bit more charge than you think you do? Electronics always have a good way of failing when you least expect them to. I'm not taking a risk going to work with 20% charge left and chance making it home. At least with a petrol engine, I know that I can fill up in 5 minutes on the way. Electricity Fail;

If you can afford a BMW, you can afford the gas that goes in it. Considering how much more electric cars cost to produce, you'll need to keep it (once on sale instead of lease) more than 4-5 years for the savings in fuel to overcome the premium price tag of the vehicle. Economical Fail.

170HP 1 series. Performance Fail.

Theory Win.

Everything else Fail.

I think we're just not there yet. We will get there, but I would put money on it being after 2020.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

10% faster 0-60 acceleration than a Prius, less than half the acceleration of an already-in-production Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

And this is why the 123d will never sell in the states.

How much power do you use on a commute? I dont go 0-60 every time. Its stupid to

I love how we all get caught up on peak numbers. The fact is that 170 is respectable, also you always have peak torque...ALWAYS! Thats awesome.

And economical fail? Its 2 grand down 500 a month. Thats easily affordable by anyone on this forum.

And so what? Just because I can afford premium gas doesnt mean that axing it from my daily commute wont save me money, and I like saving money

Ohh well, more slots mean more chances of them picking me

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
10% faster 0-60 acceleration than a Prius, less than half the acceleration of an already-in-production Tesla.
again its a commuter car. and an 8-8.5 0-60 is more than enough for most situations. Thats the same time as my SUV an I dont often WOT that thing.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
again its a commuter car. and an 8-8.5 0-60 is more than enough for most situations. Thats the same time as my SUV an I dont often WOT that thing.
As much of a commuter car as it is, and while in theory its great (and will be the future in ~10 years as a guess) I just personally couldn't see myself enjoying the car in the slightest.

I drive literally 3 miles to work, and never open up my car now, but I need to have that option on hand. I live in an apt where I cannot keep two cars so the 135 will be my DD and weekend car, so if I were to choose I wouldn't choose ActiveE.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
As much of a commuter car as it is, and while in theory its great (and will be the future in ~10 years as a guess) I just personally couldn't see myself enjoying the car in the slightest.

I drive literally 3 miles to work, and never open up my car now, but I need to have that option on hand. I live in an apt where I cannot keep two cars so the 135 will be my DD and weekend car, so if I were to choose I wouldn't choose ActiveE.
Thats cool. But for those of us that commute into a city that has HOV lanes this thing is a godsend.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
Glorified EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
When NYC had a bunch of MINI E's running around for evaluation with the Street Condition Observation Unit and I saw one in my neighborhood, I whipped a u turn and talked to the driver for a while about the car. So yes, someone does care to see a rare BMW built EV out there on the road.
I just can't get into a glorified vehicle that goes 0-60 in 9+ seconds, cornering can only take you so far. Don't get me wrong if I had to choose between BMW EV vs. any other car makers EV i'd bet the bank that the BMW would handle better, it's just that EV's in general are so limited in their practicallity & a money looser that I just don't see the point, besides BMW feel good BS.
Appreciate 0