BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

135i + iPhone 5 lightning cable?

Do you guys think they will release a revised media cable for us with the iPhone 5? id prefer that than a clunky adapter on the end of it.

fingers crossed.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
hopefully, but i don't like our chances, the problem is a lack of iPod video out via the lightning connector, so track info etc is not going to be displayed.

I waiting for the bluetooth dongle i ordered to connect to the existing y-cable, then the iphone5 connects via bluetooth to that, and also connects to the car stereo's bluetooth for calls. I believe the track info and steering wheel controls then still work, and when calls come in or out, the music still gets muted etc.

The only issue, is that as the iPhone 5 doesn't physically connect to the y-cable, it does get changed, so you need cigarette usb changer to change the actual phone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280933333...ht_2522wt_1019

I'll report back how well it all works.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Remember, you can charge the iphone via the USB port in the glove compartment. Well I haven't tested it with a 5 yet, but considering they share the same 5W wall charger, I think it should be ok.
      10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

I had similar concerns but when plugging in with the supplied Lightning connector, all the functions worked the same way as previously through the plugin adaptor. I don't think the newer iDrive uses the iPod out function but rather treats it as smart hard drive - I may be wrong.

Here's hoping BMW hurry up and get the new cradle to market and it all works.
      10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
I waiting for the bluetooth dongle i ordered to connect to the existing y-cable, then the iphone5 connects via bluetooth to that, and also connects to the car stereo's bluetooth for calls. I believe the track info and steering wheel controls then still work, and when calls come in or out, the music still gets muted etc.

The only issue, is that as the iPhone 5 doesn't physically connect to the y-cable, it does get changed, so you need cigarette usb changer to change the actual phone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280933333...ht_2522wt_1019

I'm interested in this device as well, if only to play music via bluetooth instead of the annoying cable. Cheap as well.

The only issue I see is the phone connecting to 2 bluetooth devices simultaneously (car for phone, and this device for audio), not sure if that is possible. Maybe will work as it's using 2 different bluetooth protocols (A2DP, phone/handsfree).

Anyway, let's wait for you to be the guinea pig, let us know how it goes!

Update: Found this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743398, where a guy with the same device reports success. I'll just order one it's only 10 bucks.

Last edited by B-Moose; 10-09-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
EliotW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

I had pre-ordered the Apple 30-Pin to Lightning adapter to use my iPhone 5 with the Y-cable in my car and it works great. I agree that is it not as nice as if there were a cable made specifically for the new Lightning port, but for now it seems to work just like my iPhone 4 did. The adapter still allows for audio phone charging, steering wheel controls for iPod, Spotify, Pandora, etc.

I was nervous that there would be limitations with the adapter but I am pleased to say there are none. It did come with some ridiculously oversized packaging though...

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01
I had similar concerns but when plugging in with the supplied Lightning connector, all the functions worked the same way as previously through the plugin adaptor. I don't think the newer iDrive uses the iPod out function but rather treats it as smart hard drive - I may be wrong.

Interesting I couldn't get mine to work. Most of my songs are missing when I use the lightning connector. I have iTunes Match on but it was working fine with the 4S. Might try it with the adapter too.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Interesting I couldn't get mine to work. Most of my songs are missing when I use the lightning connector. I have iTunes Match on but it was working fine with the 4S. Might try it with the adapter too.
Okay, iDrive doesn't read the itune match library. However, as long as you make sure you sync your library before you turn match back on you would be fine. I guess you just have to resync now and then.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Good news about the adapter.

However i just read this? how is he getting iphone connectivity with just the White lightning cable?

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755477

I want to know!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
Finally got the Bluetooth adaptor. There's good and bad news!

Good news - your iPhone can connect to 2 things at the same time!
You can play music via Bluetooth! Music is even muted when calls come in etc - just like it works normally.

Bad news - the car doesn't pick it up as "iPod" anymore, can only use AUX - which means no track info on stereo and no steering wheel track controls.

Was worth a shot, I'm going to get an Apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor now!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

sorry to dig up an old thread... did anybody get their 30 pin to lightning adapter to work with the y cable?

i have a 2008 135 w/idrive + base audio, the y splitter works awesome with the iphone 4, so i got a cheap ebay lightning connector that said audio streaming supported.

but the idrive only recognizes the aux rather than the USB so cant control the music through car controls. so frustrating...

i've seen people say it works with the original lightning adapter, but is this because they have the higher spec stereo?

anyone got the same issue and/or an answer?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
When Apple changed to the Lightning connector they dropped the "iPod out" protocol.

It still does Analogue Audio and Direct Digital connections though.

What this means is that if you have a newer car that doesn't need the Y-Cable and works with just a standard white Apple Cable then you will be fine with a standard Lightning Cable - full iPod integration. (The audio is transferred from the iPhone to the car in a digital stream that is then converted to audio on-board, along with all of the track info and play controls.)

The problem comes when you have an older model car/system that uses the Y-Cable. It sends Analog Audio out through the 3.5mm jack - which still works - and all of the controls and track info/access to the iPhone's OS is done via the USB half of the Y-Cable.

That's called "iPod Out" and the Lightning Connector doesn't support it. Net result is that the USB half of the Y-Cable is now only being utilised to charge your iPhone. Nothing else.

Anyone who is getting play controls with a BMW Y-Cable and a Lightning Adapter (Like Alik) will probably find that they don't actually need the Y-Cable and it will work just fine with a standard Apple Lightning Cable.

The only way around this will be the upcoming iPhone Media Cradle - which is bloody expensive.
      11-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post

Ya, new cradle supposed to be out in early 2014!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
1SER135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M SPORT 6M

If you have CIC navigation, just buy a Combox retrofit, this will give you bluetooth music streaming along with the ability to connect your iphone to the I-drive with just the standard lightning cable, it will also give you an Ipod like display on your i-drive.
Appreciate 0