BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Tips for shipping tires

Sorry I\'m certain this is in the wrong forum but I wasn\'t really sure where to post.

I am trying to sell two tires here on 1addicts, and the shipping quotes are horrendous. $35/tire is as cheap as I\'ve found. Is this what everyone is paying or are there some secrets out there?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

No real secret. Tires are a pain to ship. You can usually save yourself some money and ship them box-less (they ship from tirerack.com boxless and they're never damaged) but then youll probably be charged a fee for an "irregularly packed" item, no matter what carrier you choose. I've gotten as low as around 25 dollars/tire depending on where I shop around but it's never cheap. I also always cross shop FedEx UPS and DHL, open up 3 browser windows, put all the info in, click "get quote" 3 times, and compare from there, going with the cheapest.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i've had the most luck sending through fedex (they tend to have good rates for oversized stuff). Also, it's generally cheaper to ship them in 2 pairs instead of 4 individual tires. just tape the 2 tires (very well) together and slap a label on them. Always buy the extra insurance up to the value you'd want to be paid if they were lost or damaged. the insurance is usually very cheap, and totally worth the peace of mind. if you're selling them, have the recipient's name listed as the primary for the shipping insurance, and make sure the insurance covers the sale price plus the cost of shipping, so that if something happens you don't have to be involved... the recipient can just collect straight from fedex. if you ship enough tires, eventually you're going to have a package that doesn't make it.
Appreciate 0