BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
onesick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135cic

Needing front pads...

I'm coming up on needing new front brake pads for my 135 in less then 700 miles. I've been reading up on some various threads about stock OE pads vs. aftermarket such as Hawk, Cool Carbon, Fedoro, etc.. My car is pretty much strictly a street car and I haven't taken it to a track so I don't need anything too crazy. Just looking for something with lower brake dust then OE but still have a good bite and feel to the pads. Also need new sensors and read that the Fedoro don't have any room for the sensors. Any advice would help.
      05-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

No aftermarket pad will have the same initial bite as OEM pads.

If you want something that has a bit better performance with significantly less dust than OEM then Cool Carbons may be the way to go. Less initial bite but with considerably less dust, higher friction coefficient and higher operating temperature.

DS2500s have better performance than cool carbons but will also dust the same as OEM pads.

Those are probably your best options.

EBC redstuff pads are another option but probably similar or slightly better performance to stock with maybe slightly less dust.
      05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I run redstuff pads. Way less dust than stock, but not dustless. Great bite too. The only downside is that they take a while to break in and stop squeaking .. took about 1000 miles on my car. They are supposedly also harder on rotors, but I have no point of reference. My car is closing in on 39k, and I'll replace the rotors next time I do brakes. I like them well enough that I'd run them again, though I may try cool carbons next. Ferodos dust at least as much as the stockers, which is a lot. I have a set I use for the track.

Out of all the pads I've run over the years, nothing dusts less then Akebono Euros, but the initial bite sucks. Ultimate stopping power is good, but you have to be careful while you adjust to the additional pedal pressure required to make the car stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I have the Cool Carbon and also like them. Significantly less dust than the stock pads (but not zero) and easier to clean off. The initial bite is a bit less, and the pedal travel is a bit more, but I like it as it makes modulation easier and you can come to a smooth stop under light braking. They get better as you get temperature in them, but can make a little noise when hot. I put in OEM wear sensors when I replaced the pads and regret it. I thought my first set were just bad due to squeeking/dragging but my new OEM sensors are already doing the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB View Post
I have the Cool Carbon and also like them. Significantly less dust than the stock pads (but not zero) and easier to clean off. The initial bite is a bit less, and the pedal travel is a bit more, but I like it as it makes modulation easier and you can come to a smooth stop under light braking. They get better as you get temperature in them, but can make a little noise when hot. I put in OEM wear sensors when I replaced the pads and regret it. I thought my first set were just bad due to squeeking/dragging but my new OEM sensors are already doing the same thing.
Are you using the same rotors?

I have read that the brake squeal can actually come from the rotors when a lip forms.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Are you using the same rotors?

I have read that the brake squeal can actually come from the rotors when a lip forms.
I considered this and checked the rotors and they seemed fine for the time being. The noise definitely went away for a few thousand miles after the new pads/sensors so I wouldn't think it could be rotors, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone with more info could chime in.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB View Post
I considered this and checked the rotors and they seemed fine for the time being. The noise definitely went away for a few thousand miles after the new pads/sensors so I wouldn't think it could be rotors, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone with more info could chime in.
I had brake squeal from literally day 1 after I picked up my E88 from the dealership and it was fking horrible. Horribly loud and it would squeal non stop whether at slow or fast speeds. The dealership wouldn't do anything about it at all and said it was normal and due to brake dust build up on the pad surface. It did seem plausible as when I sprayed the pads with a hose all this black stuff would come out and it would stop squealing but only for maybe a 20km drive then it would come back again.

I had the pads changed with another set of OEM pads after they wore down at around 60,000kms and it was quiet as a mouse for a while. Some squeal has returned however nowhere near as bad as the first set and I don't need to flush the pads with a hose everytime I was either.

I'm on my original rotors and I'm now at 109,000kms. There has been a significant lip formed but obviously wasn't there when I bought it. I guess it could be the brake sensor but I wouldn't think so as it should only be plastic touching the rotor surface until it wears down all the way to the metal contact. My guess would be that it's just due to the pad material itself and my first set was probably a super bad batch of material. All 135i's on stock pads squeal, some more than others. I have an E82 135i as well now with 38,000kms and it also does it, though nowhere near as my initial set of pads on the E88.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

EBC redstuff pads are another option but probably similar or slightly better performance to stock with maybe slightly less dust.
i was going to suggest these

half the price of all other options... and actually they'll be a LOT better than stock, the greenstuff are EBC's 'stock replacement+' pads, redstuff are fast street, yellowstuff are track
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
i was going to suggest these

half the price of all other options... and actually they'll be a LOT better than stock, the greenstuff are EBC's 'stock replacement+' pads, redstuff are fast street, yellowstuff are track
Yeah the redstuff's look really good for the price. Low dust and better performance. I hear that they have some bedding material to help the pads bed in and that stuff dusts like crazy, however once that's all done it's much better.

I ended up getting Cool Carbon's but I haven't had a chance to put them on. Had them sitting in my garage for like a year...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the redstuff's look really good for the price. Low dust and better performance. I hear that they have some bedding material to help the pads bed in and that stuff dusts like crazy, however once that's all done it's much better.

I ended up getting Cool Carbon's but I haven't had a chance to put them on. Had them sitting in my garage for like a year...
i'll be getting the redstuff for the 135i setup i'm installing.. just can't pass up $180 front and rear compared to any other decent pad for $400-$500/pair lol so i'll have more info on them in a few weeks haha

they apparently will wear through rotors a fair bit more than OEM, which is probably a by-produt of being less dusty and more grippy.. no one should be worried about that as it's still 1-2 years of driving minimum for 99% of people

i've used them on other cars and they bite well and handle heat well.

still on stock pads? i'm just incredibly tired of their dustiness
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
i'll be getting the redstuff for the 135i setup i'm installing.. just can't pass up $180 front and rear compared to any other decent pad for $400-$500/pair lol so i'll have more info on them in a few weeks haha

they apparently will wear through rotors a fair bit more than OEM, which is probably a by-produt of being less dusty and more grippy.. no one should be worried about that as it's still 1-2 years of driving minimum for 99% of people

i've used them on other cars and they bite well and handle heat well.

still on stock pads? i'm just incredibly tired of their dustiness
You can get Cool Carbons for US$320 shipped last time I checked which isn't a bad deal. I went with them over the redstuff because I was under the impression it may have better performance for track days but to be honest I have no idea haha.

Yeah I'm on stock pads and they suck balls. The only reason I haven't installed the Cool Carbons is because I have a full BMWP kit with slotted/drilled rotors, SS brake lines, F30 backing plates, titanium shims and Castrol SRF Fluid waiting to be installed at the same time and I haven't gotten around to it. That and it would be the first time I've ever done any kind of install/maintenance/service on the brakes of a car lol...

Have you bought a full 135i brakes kit already?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can get Cool Carbons for US$320 shipped last time I checked which isn't a bad deal. I went with them over the redstuff because I was under the impression it may have better performance for track days but to be honest I have no idea haha.

Yeah I'm on stock pads and they suck balls. The only reason I haven't installed the Cool Carbons is because I have a full BMWP kit with slotted/drilled rotors, SS brake lines, F30 backing plates, titanium shims and Castrol SRF Fluid waiting to be installed at the same time and I haven't gotten around to it. That and it would be the first time I've ever done any kind of install/maintenance/service on the brakes of a car lol...

Have you bought a full 135i brakes kit already?
yeahhh but to australia... redstuff for $190 shipped (remember to add a bit more shipping for me, even though i'll be doing a bulk shipment with rotors and backing plates, SS lines, not drilled rotors... i'd like blanks but they're $100 more than the slotted (cheap shipping!) so slotted it is etc.) haha

yeah i'd like some hawk HPS going by internet opinions but too many dollars

yeah i've got the calipers, front rotors, fresh mounting hardware - the rears fit a 130i with 135i hub flanges (10mm wider), same handbrake shoe. lucky lol.

what's the deal with the ti shims? i've only heard about them in the last 1-2 days... neccessary?

it cost me $1000ish for the 135i parts inc shipping... and i still have $1k+ in parts to go, considering i'd like a set of solid pistons in case the stock ones go bust with some track time... and i'm getting them powdercoated black... so it may 'only' be $130~ more for the cool carbons... but it all adds up sadly haha
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yeahhh but to australia... redstuff for $190 shipped (remember to add a bit more shipping for me, even though i'll be doing a bulk shipment with rotors and backing plates, SS lines, not drilled rotors... i'd like blanks but they're $100 more than the slotted (cheap shipping!) so slotted it is etc.) haha

yeah i'd like some hawk HPS going by internet opinions but too many dollars

yeah i've got the calipers, front rotors, fresh mounting hardware - the rears fit a 130i with 135i hub flanges (10mm wider), same handbrake shoe. lucky lol.

what's the deal with the ti shims? i've only heard about them in the last 1-2 days... neccessary?

it cost me $1000ish for the 135i parts inc shipping... and i still have $1k+ in parts to go, considering i'd like a set of solid pistons in case the stock ones go bust with some track time... and i'm getting them powdercoated black... so it may 'only' be $130~ more for the cool carbons... but it all adds up sadly haha
Yeah I'll be selling off my stock 135i brakes once I've put on my BMWP kit. I have some extra blank rear rotors and front brake shields I'm trying to sell too.

Ti shims help to reduce heat going into the caliper so basically it helps to preserve the stock pistons and reduces heat transfer into your brake fluid. Also would help stop your calipers from overheating and changing colour.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Yeah I'll be selling off my stock 135i brakes once I've put on my BMWP kit. I have some extra blank rear rotors and front brake shields I'm trying to sell too.

Ti shims help to reduce heat going into the caliper so basically it helps to preserve the stock pistons and reduces heat transfer into your brake fluid. Also would help stop your calipers from overheating and changing colour.
Yeah, I've heard of this too... but then again, one has to wonder where does that heat go, if not into the brake fluid? I read elsewhere that if it's not going anywhere, then does that mean your brake pads will fry faster? Or are brake pads ok to take the heat? And, if they are ok to take the heat, does that mean more heat to rotors, resulting in cracked/warped rotors? I'm still debating whether to get my ti shims or not...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron
Quote:

Yeah, I've heard of this too... but then again, one has to wonder where does that heat go, if not into the brake fluid? I read elsewhere that if it's not going anywhere, then does that mean your brake pads will fry faster? Or are brake pads ok to take the heat? And, if they are ok to take the heat, does that mean more heat to rotors, resulting in cracked/warped rotors? I'm still debating whether to get my ti shims or not...
Well I'm guessing that the rotors have better cooling as well as a better ability to dissipate heat than your calipers or the brake fluid so it's probably better that the heat doesn't transfer into those. Also, it's better that you get brake fade rather than boiling your fluid.

Of course some additional cooling would be beneficial with or without Ti shims. Ducting or F30 backing plates would be in order.
      05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesick View Post
I'm coming up on needing new front brake pads for my 135 in less then 700 miles. I've been reading up on some various threads about stock OE pads vs. aftermarket such as Hawk, Cool Carbon, Fedoro, etc.. My car is pretty much strictly a street car and I haven't taken it to a track so I don't need anything too crazy. Just looking for something with lower brake dust then OE but still have a good bite and feel to the pads. Also need new sensors and read that the Fedoro don't have any room for the sensors. Any advice would help.
Stoptech Street Performance pads would be what you want.

Ferodo DS2500 is a clubsport pad and will dust more than OE with no sensor cut out.
Appreciate 0