BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Improving Handling on an E88 135i

Hi,

I have an 08 E88 135i and I'm new to mods. What can I do to improve the handling on my vert?

Will getting the M3 strut brace and front sway bar make a huge difference in reducing body roll?

Do I need new coils, rear sway bar etc?

It's my daily driver so I'm not looking to lower it til it scraps on the ground or for the suspension to be so rock hard that it disintegrates my spine with every pot hole.

Thanks in advance for replies!
      07-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The swaybar will reduce roll (I have an E93 M3 bar) The strut brace just stiffens the front a bit. No noticeable difference in roll.

If you want coils whats your budget?

Dont do a rear sway unless you are also doing an LSD. Youll just lift a wheel in every turn you take and spin.

You could be like me and go with a 245 square as well.

Also prepare yourself for the - why are you trying to improve the handling on a vert - comments. Idiots think that because you bought a vert that you dont value the way your car handles.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert
The swaybar will reduce roll (I have an E93 M3 bar) The strut brace just stiffens the front a bit. No noticeable difference in roll.

If you want coils whats your budget?

Dont do a rear sway unless you are also doing an LSD. Youll just lift a wheel in every turn you take and spin.

You could be like me and go with a 245 square as well.

Also prepare yourself for the - why are you trying to improve the handling on a vert - comments. Idiots think that because you bought a vert that you dont value the way your car handles.
Cheers for the reply BrokenVert!

And yeah, I was kinda prepared for the possibility of those comments already haha.

I might go with the swaybar and strut to begin with and see how it feels before going further.

So you went 245s at the front too? How you finding it?

I currently have my stock rims with Pirelli P-Zero RFTs and I find that it's already pretty tail happy.
      07-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

No worries mate!

Defienitely do the swaybar. Like I said shocks/struts/springs all depends on your budget. Let me know what it is an I can help you out with that.

245s are a squeeze. thats for sure. But its fantastic. The car just has grip everywhere - and thats on the stock suspension with nearly 130K km! Cant wait to change out for a new suspension.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks again BrokenVert.

I might start with the sway bar and M3 bushings first and see if that improves it enough to my liking.

I was wondering, do you know why the BMW Performance Suspension Kit doesn't work for a a convertible?

They seem to be quite highly regarded in terms of ride comfort and improvement in handling but on the websites they don't say it's compatible with our convertibles.

Also, what about the M3 control arms? Should be that be something I should also be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Actually one more questions =P.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I know that all of our extra weight comes from cross bracing, probably steel. Do you know if these can be replaced or upgraded in any way? Maybe with aluminum?