BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
You mean to tell me Dinan didn't have access to a 1M to put this on to provide sound clips and actual install pictures during development? My BS detector is going off here...
Of course they have access to a 1M. But they don't provide official sound clips & install pictures, they just do product pictures. It is up to the dealer or consumer purchasing the product to post them if they want to.

Since you guys really want sound clips and a review, I'm offering more than 15% on one Dinan 1M exhaust to a person willing to provide that.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
RPMjunkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Got 1)

I was leaning toward the CP-E exhaust that was just released, but depending on price with discount on this I may jump over. This Dinan will work with stock midpipes or MadDad correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
NjSant
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The Dinan muffler seems to be without a connecting pipe so I assume the stock piece can be used in conjunction with this muffler and whatever midpipe you may have installed (stock, maddad, N55) Am I right on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
You mean to tell me Dinan didn't have access to a 1M to put this on to provide sound clips and actual install pictures during development? My BS detector is going off here...
From my observations only: Dinan doesn't really seem to be actively into forums for product promotion. They're just not that into us Hence the vendor's offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW - I can say w/ absolute certainty that DINAN has had at least a test version on a 1M in May at Bimmerfest. Because I took a couple pics.

http://www.enthuzeus.com/photo/QqTyj6a
http://www.enthuzeus.com/photo/QqxB5uF

I heard it briefly - but didn't get my phone out in time for a vid clip

Defn was louder and deeper than stock, but not obnoxious. No idea as compared to other aftermarket exhausts...

Last edited by Mahlzeit; 10-02-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: damned typos
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
M3Sweet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M & 2009 BMW 335iX

I think there is a problem... just spoke to my local BMW guru and thus is what he said...

Few problems…

Dinan uses 20g stainless. WAY too thin. Great for lightweight, but terrible for TIG welding brackets to it, as the heat from welding and use will crack the steel. Even in our exhaust, we only use 16g stainless for strength.

Dinan’s version is a “cut off” muffler, which means you have to CUT your stock exhaust. This is ridiculous. The factory muffler can be removed with tools! Dinan was too lazy (or too cheap) to make the exhaust longer to make it bolt to the factory location?
2011 1M VO | StopTech Trophy BBK | Eisenmann Performance Exhaust | ESS TUne | 3M Protective Coating | CDV Removal | Front Sway Bar | KW Variant 3 Suspension | Vorshlag Camber Plate | Rogue Engineering Short Throw Shifter
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Sweet View Post
I think there is a problem... just spoke to my local BMW guru and thus is what he said...

Few problems…

Dinan uses 20g stainless. WAY too thin. Great for lightweight, but terrible for TIG welding brackets to it, as the heat from welding and use will crack the steel. Even in our exhaust, we only use 16g stainless for strength.

Dinan’s version is a “cut off” muffler, which means you have to CUT your stock exhaust. This is ridiculous. The factory muffler can be removed with tools! Dinan was too lazy (or too cheap) to make the exhaust longer to make it bolt to the factory location?
The Evolve Race muffler I recently installed was also "short" but Evolve provided a connecting pipe (free of charge) which could be utilised with stock or compatible mid pipes and that's what I did, connected the muffler using the extra pipe with new N55 mids. Zero problems and working just fine. Dinan or any other producer/vendor should do the same imo. Otherwise, they should refrain from using the word bolt-on.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjSant View Post
The Dinan muffler seems to be without a connecting pipe so I assume the stock piece can be used in conjunction with this muffler and whatever midpipe you may have installed (stock, maddad, N55) Am I right on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Sweet View Post

Few problems…

I just spoke with Dinan on the phone about the cutting. They stated that they follow BMW's exact specifications on mufflers. What that means is if BMW had to send you a replacement muffler there is a section on your old muffler that is marked where you would have to just cut it off and attach the new one.

So yes this exhaust requires you to just make one cut on your existing one and then attach the Dinan exhaust to it with the clamps provided. They stated it was done like this because these are BMW's directly guidelines on replacing a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip@McKennaPerformance View Post
I just spoke with Dinan on the phone about the cutting. They stated that they follow BMW's exact specifications on mufflers. What that means is if BMW had to send you a replacement muffler there is a section on your old muffler that is marked where you would have to just cut it off and attach the new one.

So yes this exhaust requires you to just make one cut on your existing one and then attach the Dinan exhaust to it with the clamps provided. They stated it was done like this because these are BMW's directly guidelines on replacing a muffler.
Understandable as long as the client is informed well about this beforehand and is willing to cut the stock piece. There is a good deal of peace of mind in just taking the stock muffler out intact, putting the new one in and keeping the stock in your garage, I mean in case you may want to put it back or sell the car in absolutely stock shape and sell or use the new exhaust separately...like most people here prefer to do as far as I see.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Early in the prototype phase, I believe the Remus design was a cutoff. Shortly after, they came to their senses and included a pipe to connect to the midpipe. Therefore, no cutting of the stock exhaust is needed.

For $1590 shipped, I'm glad I got the Remus. I'm definitely getting sound clips up this weekend.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The product description says bolt on installation. I interpret that as no cutting. I hope I'm correct.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The product description says bolt on installation. I interpret that as no cutting. I hope I'm correct.
Check out post #31....vendor confirmed there's cutting req'd. Likely comes just as pictured. Frankly, the excuse given to McKenna by Dinan is BS....BMW guidelines.
BMWCCA #454364

Last edited by mikewills; 10-02-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

much like many of DINANs products its probably a cut and clamp. womp womp

I hope everyone realizes BMW NA has no warranty / relationship with DINAN and your warranty will be voided. Just letting those guys that want warranty intact. IMO I'd do a bolt on solution .
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #36
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSImotorworks View Post
edit alert
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #37
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSImotorworks View Post
edit alert
Buc where -_-
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Check out post #31....vendor confirmed there's cutting req'd. Likely comes just as pictured. Frankly, the excuse given to McKenna by Dinan is BS....BMW guidelines.
My post was pointing out what I believe to be an inaccurate product description. I call BS as well since realoem shows the muffler as a one piece part with the bolt on connection just how it came on the 1M.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #39
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
My post was pointing out what I believe to be an inaccurate product description. I call BS as well since realoem shows the muffler as a one piece part with the bolt on connection just how it came on the 1M.
My bad . .
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #40
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

It's a cut and clamp style exhaust because of BMW guidelines? Hahahaha. Biggest load of BS I've heard from Dinan.
      10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

WRT weight, I received the following this morning, from Dinan:

The weight is virtually identical. Dramatically “cooler” exhaust note and a bit less drone running at highway speeds. No “valves” on our system, improving flow at all throttle settings. One of the best sounding exhausts we have ever produced!

Scott

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip@McKennaPerformance View Post
Of course they have access to a 1M. But they don't provide official sound clips & install pictures, they just do product pictures. It is up to the dealer or consumer purchasing the product to post them if they want to.

Since you guys really want sound clips and a review, I'm offering more than 15% on one Dinan 1M exhaust to a person willing to provide that.

My point exactly, you want the customer to take all the risk here even though the pictures and clips should be readily available if Dinan wanted them to be. I get you're stuck in the middle but frankly even at a 15% cost reduction $1700 dollars plus shipping is a large leap to make. Once you consider there are less expensive competitors who have posted clips and the performance gains are about 10% of less expensive bolt on modifications like a Cobb Accessport, FMIC or downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #43
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I think the biggest turn off is that one has to cut the stock piping of the rear muffler. Dinan should make it with the flange so it bolts up to the midpipe, which is what pretty much most other aftermarket solutions offer. I actually am a fan of the Dinan sound because I find their exhausts (at least the one I had on my e92 M3) do not drone, which IMHO was a huge improvement over the Gintani and Eisenmann I had on the M3. I would consider swapping out my Eisenmann Race on the 1M for the Dinan, but only if it involved no cutting (and if I do indeed keep the 1M).
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #44
NjSant
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was really liking the black ceramic tips and the no drone factor but the cutting is a complete deal breaker for me. Maybe we'll see Dinan provide a solution in the very near future.
Appreciate 0