10-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
+100, everyone who was in the market for an aftermarket exhaust should already have one...
or is still trying to figure out which one to by. I am still looking.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #46
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Philip,

Does the Dinan exhaust eliminate the drone while keeping the stock mid pipe?

How will the OEM warranty be affected?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #47
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Philip,

Read your warranty for starters. It's foolish to have someone else tell you what is or isn't covered unless that person is your lawyer. I believe each state has its own laws for auto warranties which can complicate matters. Personally, I don't see how an axle-back exhaust can compromise anything on your car?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #48
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Philip,

Yes it eliminates drone while keeping your stock mid pipe.

Dinan matches the BMW warranty on any product that is not marked "Race Purposes Only." So with this exhaust you would have the exact same BMW warranty and no BMW dealer would question it either because this is a Dinan product.

You shouldn't have a warranty issue with any axle back exhaust either but that all depends on each dealer since some are more forgiving than others but they all know that Dinan matches the BMW warranty so there would be no problems going with Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #49
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Am I missing something. My understanding is that the DINAN exhaust is shorter than stock not longer. This should allow one to remove the OEM unit,keep their stock exhaust in tack and use a flanged extension to make the connection without cutting.. That being said, I agree that it's pretty lame not to make it a true bolt on install.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #50
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
Am I missing something. My understanding is that the DINAN exhaust is shorter than stock not longer. This should allow one to remove the OEM unit,keep their stock exhaust in tack and use a flanged extension to make the connection without cutting.. That being said, I agree that it's pretty lame not to make it a true bolt on install.
You're incorrect. The stock exhaust is a single piece beginning from the flanged connection at the rear of the mid pipe. The Dinan exhaust requires you to cut off the muffler because it does not come with a connecting pipe that is included with most aftermarket 1M exhausts.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #51
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Why dinan does a cut and clamp we never know and i agree i dont like the cut and clamps either. FAIL DINAN
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #52
Mrated
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2001 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Not bolt on

That was a big deal breaker for me, I was ready to jump on that 15% off deal and go for the black tip one, but I wont now, I would like a real bolt on
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #53
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Agree that the DINAN is not a real bolt on. I also understand that the factory exhaust is one piece all the way to the flange. What I am suggesting is that any properly sized segment of exhaust piping with a flange welded to it (available inexpensively from a quality muffler shop) can eliminate the need to hack up the factory system.

That being said.....I can't figure out why DINAN chose the clamp approach. Makes no sense to me.. Tips are gorgeous though
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #54
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M AW

Dinan muffler/Maddad mid pipe

I posted this in the original thread for modification lists but since folks are over in this thread discussing I will provide it again. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Let us hear one when you can please. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #55
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedone View Post
I posted this in the original thread for modification lists but since folks are over in this thread discussing I will provide it again. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks for posting. It seems to be a nice, deeper tone compared to stock without being too loud. Since the Maddads should be contributing a lot, I assume Dinan exhaust alone is really not a very loud one which is not a bad thing imo. My set up has a similar tone as well (Evolve Race and N55).

On another note, from this picture I can say that the muffler sits quite low and visible!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #56
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Thanks for posting. It seems to be a nice, deeper tone compared to stock without being too loud. Since the Maddads should be contributing a lot, I assume Dinan exhaust alone is really not a very loud one which is not a bad thing imo. My set up has a similar tone as well (Evolve Race and N55).

On another note, from this picture I can say that the muffler sits quite low and visible!
In terms of the exhaust note. I had the maddad mid pipe first and once I added the Dinan the sound became much deeper than the maddad alone. I don't think the video does the lower octaves justice. When I blip revs when the car is totally warm, there is a very serious exhaust note and people come up to me all the time an comment on how that has to be a serious exhaust system. Second, the stock exhaust muffler has an internal valve that from what I understand from Dinan is actuated by exhaust pressure. Higher revs would open the valve. There is no valve inside the Dinan muffler. The pipes were installed as high up as possible. The perception from me and the distributor for Dinan that installed it is that they want you to see the muffler to some degree for a sportier look.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #57
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
..... The pipes were installed as high up as possible. The perception from me and the distributor for Dinan that installed it is that they want you to see the muffler to some degree for a sportier look.
really? I have to cut on my baby... and they offer this as an explanation as to why the can looks like one of those civics driven by some teenager from the back?... and If so why not laser etch their name/ logo on the exposed region?..it looks like they had enough space to do it...
i call BS... sounds good though!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #58
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In terms of the exhaust note. I had the maddad mid pipe first and once I added the Dinan the sound became much deeper than the maddad alone. I don't think the video does the lower octaves justice. When I blip revs when the car is totally warm, there is a very serious exhaust note and people come up to me all the time an comment on how that has to be a serious exhaust system. Second, the stock exhaust muffler has an internal valve that from what I understand from Dinan is actuated by exhaust pressure. Higher revs would open the valve. There is no valve inside the Dinan muffler. The pipes were installed as high up as possible. The perception from me and the distributor for Dinan that installed it is that they want you to see the muffler to some degree for a sportier look.
Never heard of this internal valve and none of the pics I've seen of the internals show such a thing. I have to call BS on this one. Most exhaust valves operate on vacuum and not pressure.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #59
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
really? I have to cut on my baby... and they offer this as an explanation as to why the can looks like one of those civics driven by some teenager from the back?... and If so why not laser etch their name/ logo on the exposed region?..it looks like they had enough space to do it...
i call BS... sounds good though!
When I stated as high as they would go, I am speaking in terms of the tail pipes being pretty close to the carbon. I get the civic comment and that was my feeling at first however, as we know, Not a Civic.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #60
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Never heard of this internal valve and none of the pics I've seen of the internals show such a thing. I have to call BS on this one. Most exhaust valves operate on vacuum and not pressure.
I was told this information from Dinan's internal reps. It was either Scott or Chris which are the two reps for West Coast and East Coast.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #61
G2G
Sold: E46 330CI, E90 320dA with 270000km
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2015 BMW 118d  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
nice
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #62
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Looks like Dinan has added a bolt-on exhaust to there selection for $300 more.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D660-0...ps.aspx#page=1

Somewhat tempted. Was leaning Akra but for the price difference may just do this with N55 mids. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #63
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Looks like Dinan has added a bolt-on exhaust to there selection for $300 more.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D660-0...ps.aspx#page=1

Somewhat tempted. Was leaning Akra but for the price difference may just do this with N55 mids. Any thoughts?
Glad it finally happened. They probably saw the weak sales of an exhaust that requires cutting so they came out with the bolt on.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #64
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The box hangs way too low and in sight from the rear on this muffler
Really? More than stock? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #65
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

You are correct, looks bad. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh well, one less to consider.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #66
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Really? More than stock? Any pics?
Can see in the above pics and this one. Very deep & long box compared to stock and other aftermarket ones. Looks cheap!
It appears that it would obstruct the wonderful differential cooler view while sitting in a car behind...don't like that.
Appreciate 0