BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

More swirls everytime I wash

I'm starting to see more and more swirls everytime I wash the car. Is this something I should get used to, or am I doing something wrong.

I'm washing with di(detailed image) sheepskin mitt, 2 buckets, maxi suds soap, drying with di ww mf towel. I am very gentle and let the mitt do the work. I rinse off the car extremely well before I start. The mitt does not touch the wheels. I immediately wash everything in my washing machine with chemical guys mf solution, and when they're dry, I fold and put them in an airtight Tupperware.

Should I be soaking them before wash? Could the washer/dryer residues be leaving particles in my products?

What gives?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled

Last edited by AntonV; 12-16-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
I'm starting to see more and more swirls everytime I wash the car. Is this something I should get used to, or am I doing something wrong.

I'm washing with di(detailed image) sheepskin mitt, 2 buckets, maxi suds soap, drying with di ww mf towel. I am very gentle and let the mitt do the work. I rinse off the car extremely well before I start. The mitt does not touch the wheels. I immediately wash everything in my washing machine with chemical guys mf solution, and when they're dry, I fold and put them in an airtight Tupperware.

Should I be soaking them before wash? Could the washer/dryer residues be leaving particles in my products?

What gives?
Even with flawless technique and product care some swirls may still happen. I'm assuming you are using the two bucket method if not check out our Detailing Guide for more tips and directions. Here are some suggestions that may help. Add two grit guards to your buckets. They help get contaminants out of your mitt which is critical. Also make sure you are rinsing the mitt frequently so you are not dragging contaminants across the surface. Pre-soaking the paint with a degreaser may help remove stubborn contaminants. Using a foam gun can also help with pre-soaking the surface breaking up contaminants and preventing any dry friction with a wash mitt.

Lastly monitor your drying process as this is equally important. Use nice clean waffle weave microfiber towels for best results or use a compressor to blow it dry. When using the towels use the blot drying method for maximum safety.

If you are unsure about the safety of a towel or mitt you are using test it on the back of a CD. If it scratches it, it may be adding scratches to your paint.

Let me know if I missed any of your questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
All great points by Greg, but unfortunately you're just going to have to get used to it unless you don't touch the paint at all. You'd have to always have a fresh coat of LSP, and use a foam gun to wash and blower to dry it. Even still, I don't think this would be sufficent to completely clean the car.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

I may be stating the obvious, but I start by rinsing as much grit off the finish before I start the washing process. I always take the car down the street to a self-wash place that has the high-pressure sprayers - I rinse it really good there, drive home, rinse more, and then start washing.

I've never used a mitt - just very clean terry cloth towels that I only use for washing the car - I have a different set of towels for the wheels.

I've had great success keeping my cars scratch free for a number of years.

Just be sure to not allow anyone else to wash it - they will not take the same care you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I would say you are doing the right process! I do a similar process on my Jet Black and I have been relatively swirl free. Maybe try a Foam gun. I have one that I use if my car is at all dirty. If it is just dusty then I don't bother. After a good foam rinse the majority of the dirt is rinsed away.
I am not a big fan of any high pressure rinsing. I used to think it was a good plan however, I have seen two friends cars that got damaged from a high pressure sprayer. They both are car nuts and used the sprayer in an attempt to prevent swirls. They both figure they caused damage because small particle of dirt/sand left very small chips/marks in the paint. Both of those guys had no issues in the summer months, only in the fall and winter when the roads were dirty. I notice SMPECK recommended it but he lives in Florida...no road sanding or salting down there so it would probably be great in that climate.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

IMO..no matter how good you take care of your car, you can only slow down the swirling process instead of avoiding them. Just put some wax or sealant on for now. It's winter anyway, get ur car fully detailed when it gets little warmer.

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
IMO..no matter how good you take care of your car, you can only slow down the swirling process instead of avoiding them.
correct. I would challenge anyone who says their jet black isn't swirled to find a garage, shine a flashlight on the paint and take a picture. There are swirls there, take my word for it!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
its gonna happen, the only thing you can do is minimize it

one question though, when you dry the car w/ the waffle weave MF towel, do you get the towel wet first or is it still dry?

i like to get mine wet, then wring all the water out, to leave the towel slightly damp

thats the only thing i see diff, that i do diff and im pretty swirl free, except for the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpeck View Post
I may be stating the obvious, but I start by rinsing as much grit off the finish before I start the washing process. I always take the car down the street to a self-wash place that has the high-pressure sprayers - I rinse it really good there, drive home, rinse more, and then start washing.

I've never used a mitt - just very clean terry cloth towels that I only use for washing the car - I have a different set of towels for the wheels.

I've had great success keeping my cars scratch free for a number of years.

Just be sure to not allow anyone else to wash it - they will not take the same care you do.
I totally agree, nothing but 100% cotton. I tried miocrofiber and was never happy with it. My wife says that the towels I use on my car are better than our bath towels.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Avoiding Swirl Marks

Preventing swirls will best be achieved by washing and drying with extreme care. This is the step where the majority of swirls are added so good technique and quality products (micro fibre waffle weaves drying towels) are a must.

Regular washing utilizing the two-bucket plus grit guard system or a foam spray gun and rinse bucket plus grit guard system goes a long way to preserving the paint finish and overall look of your vehicle. Commercial car washes that use strong detergents can dull your paint films surface even faster. Avoid the use of household detergents as they may contain salt and have a wetting agent allowing the water and salt to penetrate paint surfaces and body joints that may compromise vehicles corrosion protection.

As with most detailing tasks, avoid strong sunlight when washing any vehicle. The sun may increase the paints surface temperature causing water spots to magnify and burn into the paint surface. Detailing products should be applied to a clean and dry surface, with a temperature of >65 – 90< ° F.

This is my preferred method of drying a vehicle paint surface; On the final rinse of the washing process remove the nozzle from the hose and ‘sheet’ the water, this greatly helps in the drying process. I have tried many products over the years for drying but I finally found what really works the best, a micro fibre waffle weave drying towel.

When they are wet they’re very soft and super absorbent, and glide easily over the surface, the ‘pockets’ in the weave ‘hold’ any dirt or surface debris unlike some other super absorbing products that trap dirt between the towel and paint surface with the potential to cause so serious scratches (never use it when it’s dry and stiff – it can potentially scratch)

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet but having owned 7 black cars the best advice I can give is to dry the car with a leaf blower. Sure, my neighbors thought I was bat-shit-crazy but it DRAMATICALLY slows the appearance of swirls and also blows water out from all tight spaces and from behind the side mirrors.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet but having owned 7 black cars the best advice I can give is to dry the car with a leaf blower. Sure, my neighbors thought I was bat-shit-crazy but it DRAMATICALLY slows the appearance of swirls and also blows water out from all tight spaces and from behind the side mirrors.
i have always wanted to try it out, which one are you using? are they expensive?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
i have always wanted to try it out, which one are you using? are they expensive?
I want to try it too but I afraid people think I'm crazy... they cost about $60-100 for the cheaper ones

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
You can get an electric one for fairly cheap. My parents live a half hour away and have a commercial grade Echo backpack blower so I just use that. It fell off a landscaping truck into our driveway with the tags still on it (true story).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
1bonna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

Never thought of using a leaf blower.... Brilliant idea.....
      12-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

A leaf blower just seems like it's going to create even more dust on the car. Won't it take all of the dust from the ground and make a mess?

Also, when using gas blowers, isn't there an oil/air mixture coming out in tiny doses?

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
A leaf blower just seems like it's going to create even more dust on the car. Won't it take all of the dust from the ground and make a mess?

Also, when using gas blowers, isn't there an oil/air mixture coming out in tiny doses?
Where exactly are you washing your car? First, everything in the driveway will be soaking wet so I'm not sure there would be any "dust" floating around but if you're aiming the blower at the car from above waste level you should not be blowing anything from the ground onto the car. This has never been an issue for me and I've been drying the car this way for about 7 years.

I use a backpack blower and there is a completely separate exhaust on your back so no, it's not coming out with the air.

I also want to add that no matter how expensive or soft your car care products are, the actual act of washing the car is creating the majority of the swirls. Just think about the process itself... you're wetting the dirty car down then using a mitt to rub the dirt lose. It's the process that causes it and it can only be repaired or reduced, not avoided.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
1bonna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

so.... "King" any suggestions in regards to the washing of the car. Since when washing the car you do make a lot of circular motion in the process. Thus, the cause for the swirl....
      12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by comotu1 View Post
so.... "King" any suggestions in regards to the washing of the car. Since when washing the car you do make a lot of circular motion in the process. Thus, the cause for the swirl....
There's really no way to completely avoid swirl marks. I use a wash mitt and try not to press very hard. I've heard hardcore detailers say that the mitts are worse than a terrycloth towel because you tend to apply more pressure but I just take it easy and rinse it out frequently. Other than that is just obvious stuff like starting at the top of the car and working your way down as the car is cleaner on top and you won't notice swirls as much when they're down by the skirts.

I've just flat out given up on black cars and now buy gray ones. Zaino makes a nice swirl remover that will help remove them when they appear but there is just no way to clean a car without causing any swirl marks.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by comotu1 View Post
you should not be doing any circular motions to begins w/
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
you should not be doing any circular motions to begins w/
word.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

I go front- back on the parts of the car that face the sky. I go up -down on the sides

Appreciate 0