BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M (Sold), M3 F80

Hankook RS-3

Looking for feedback on anyone running Hankook RS-3's as a daily driver.

Seeking for a tire that can do occasional track days and good on the street. I switched to PSS, but they just are not up to track duty and tend to overheat. Temps where I live rarely go below 10 C. Trying to avoid a dedicated set of 18" track wheels/tires.

I see that Tirerack has 'closeout' on AD08 and RS-3's... are they being discontinued?
      08-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Looking for feedback on anyone running Hankook RS-3's as a daily driver.

Seeking for a tire that can do occasional track days and good on the street. I switched to PSS, but they just are not up to track duty and tend to overheat. Temps where I live rarely go below 10 C. Trying to avoid a dedicated set of 18" track wheels/tires.

I see that Tirerack has 'closeout' on AD08 and RS-3's... are they being discontinued?
The closeout RS-3s are tires made back in 2009. I don't believe there are many left, but definitely a bargain.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Fully Loaded/Bloated/Stoptech ST-40 Trophy Street
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Ender_
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, 340i EBII 6spd

I didn't like the RS-3 when they got too hot, go with the StarSpec ZII (second gen). Great tire and they seem to ware better then the RS-3.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I briefly used my RS3s for daily use. They are fine if your climate doesn't see excessive rain or much snow at all. I use them for track days and going to the track now, only, though this is mainly just to preserve them not because I didn't like them on the street.

They are definitely overkill for the street. Depending on how much you drive, they wear very quickly. My 1M is my only car, but it only sees about 7k miles a year so the wear isn't a huge concern to me. I will reiterate though, they wear much more quickly than most other tires. They also threw a lot of road debris onto the car, especially if it was raining and the tires were wet. I don't have any noticeable scars from said debris, but it made me nervous.

Many people say they are awful in the rain. I am sure they aren't ideal, but I scale my driving back in the rain anyway so I never noticed anything dicey.

I LOVE my RS3s on the track. Amazing grip and they break away progressively.

I hear the Dunlop Z2s are great too, just don't quite have the same ultimate level of grip the RS3s have. I don't have any experience with them myself, just what I have read/over heard.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

2 days ago there was also a close out for Bridgestone RE-11, stock 1M size. Normally an expensive tire but was less than 1000 USD for a set of four. It may fit what you are looking for too.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

the close out on the RS3s are because of the 140 tread wear stamp on the side of the tire.

to be allowed to run in Cumpcar, and SCCA Road Tire Classes as well as other competitions I'm not aware of, the all require (or will soon require) 200 treadwear.

Hankook "changed their manufacturing process" to make it 200, which means they just changed the number. there is no difference that anyone has noticed from the conversion from 140 to 200

with that being said, I run RS3s and I'm madly in love with them. they hold temp extremely well, if you overcook the tires early within sessions then you're over driving the car.

the sidewall is softer than the Z2s, which means you need more slip angle in order to achieve max grip. it takes time getting use to, but I like it.

I was able to get my tires to last 2 years, I flipped them over the winter and now am close to the wear bars. I'll say I'm around 20 or so autocross events with 3 track days.

the Z2s heat cycle out within half the tread being worn. these tires keep on getting faster, and faster, and faster. I'll run these down to the cords if I can.

As of now, I'm not sold on the Z2 tread design. they don't look like they channel water very well. with that being said, the RS3s aren't good at rain.

as for DDing, the tires are loud and like to tramline. I have 0 toe up front so this doesn't help the situation. the noise doesn't bother me, because I have an exhaust and the car is naturally loud, but YMMV.

let me know if you have any other questions. as of now I'm going to be buying another set over winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
the close out on the RS3s are because of the 140 tread wear stamp on the side of the tire.
+1

This is the new close out due to treadwear rating which isn't as big of a discount as the previous close out due to build date.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Fully Loaded/Bloated/Stoptech ST-40 Trophy Street
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
2 days ago there was also a close out for Bridgestone RE-11, stock 1M size. Normally an expensive tire but was less than 1000 USD for a set of four. It may fit what you are looking for too.
I put a set of these on 3 months ago and love them. They stand up to autocross (no real track days yet, sorry) and are great on the street. I have not driven them in heavy rain yet, but they do well on wet roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, almost went RE-11's before PSS, but very similar. Need a more track focussed tire, but street capable too. for 4 track days per year I find it difficult to warrant $3k for track wheels & tires.

RS-3 seems only choice, but don't think that the do a 245-35-19 for the front, only 245-40-19 which may rub?

I was at a BMW club motorkhana today and there was an E46 M3 with RS-3's and he uses them as DD and had done a 160 laps at a local track... they looked in great condition still.
      08-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I put a set of these on 3 months ago and love them. They stand up to autocross (no real track days yet, sorry) and are great on the street. I have not driven them in heavy rain yet, but they do well on wet roads.
What sizes did you get?
      08-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
What sizes did you get?
Stock sizes. I got them when the fronts were on closeout, great deal. I think they are back to full price on tire rack, though.

Once mounted, they are a solid 1/2 wider from tread shoulder to tread shoulder than the PS2's, front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Some pics:

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

CarJunkie, they look good in stock sizes. I like the tread design too. I think they are still less than normal price because close out is for the rears now, they are 992 USD for a set of four, cheaper than a PSS set which comes for 1064 USD.

The rears are 221 USD each down from 339!

They have been reported as quite better on track than PSS and slightly behind as a DD. It is a pity that they are so much heavier

New ADVAN AD08 Rs are also available in stock 1M sizes now, just a few though and for 1208 USD. Also looks like heavy tires and like RE-11 they are not Y speed rated but W (for guys with tuned and not governed 1Ms to take into account). They are also SL not XL like PS2 or PSS. Lastly, for +1 size lovers these new Rs come in 255/275 as well like the PSS.

Personally, I will wait with hope for 1M sizes for the new RE-11A tires or if I need to buy a new set before they release those sizes I will go for a 255/275 PSS set. But my conditions and priorities are different than Ian's.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 08-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

The difference between RE-11's and AD08's and PSS isn't much. The problem with the RS-3's is the front fitment. There is only a 245-40-19, which adds 1" diameter. I think that this will rub on the liners?
      08-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
The difference between RE-11's and AD08's and PSS isn't much. The problem with the RS-3's is the front fitment. There is only a 245-40-19, which adds 1" diameter. I think that this will rub on the liners?
Well, even the (notoriously fat) Trofeo Rs of Sparoz at stock size was rubbing slightly at full lock, despite revised fender liners in place. So, I don't see how a 245/40 RS-3 won't rub. They may rub badly!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, even the (notoriously fat) Trofeo Rs of Sparoz at stock size was rubbing slightly at full lock, despite revised fender liners in place. So, I don't see how a 245/40 RS-3 won't rub. They may rub badly!
Oz, you ain't helping me
      08-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Oz, you ain't helping me
sorry! But this is how friends should help would you prefer me saying just go for it...and tell us how it turns out when you are done so we learn it too? I bet you wouldn't
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
sorry! But this is how friends should help would you prefer me saying just go for it...and tell us how it turns out when you are done so we learn it too? I bet you wouldn't
I want RS-3's, but the won't fit!
      08-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Buy some apex rims + get the hankooks. Problem solved.

18s give you a much better selection of tires too, and cheaper.

Not to mention they look great! IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
RoadRunner///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Buy some apex rims + get the hankooks. Problem solved.

18s give you a much better selection of tires too, and cheaper.

Not to mention they look great! IMO
Trying to avoid a new set of wheels.
      08-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
I want RS-3's, but the won't fit!
I think a 245-40 would rub even on the updated liners. At least 18's would be cheaper in the long run if you are going to go through a set every season. You can always sell the wheels later.

As for weight, I worried about it but didn't notice much of a difference. The AD08's weight in less, are probably even wider, but look terrible IMHO. I am somewhat vain, and will never put those on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
Smiley1175
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Ian,
Get a set of 18's and R spec tyres. Will cost more upfront, but they'll be much better suited to your intended purposes. Running any road rubber on a track just won't cut it.

It's only money!
Appreciate 0