BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #45
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra
Really nice DIY sir, looks like you put in a lot of hard work.

Aesthetically, Its really not my thing at all. The white gauge faces are ok, but the M, the 135i logo and the blue lights I really don't care for.

I've heard that a few times. The 135i didn't turn out like I was hoping. Need to get the font right. I line the M though. Figured since I had it apart I would make it mine. I was hoping to cut the 135i into the gauge and keep the black background under it but that wouldn't have worked for me. I also originally planned on it being bigger. I think one of the 3 series has this as the speedo. It says 335i across it. But the little letter that says x1000 is moved down a lot. So I had a better looking idea, but as usual my limited resources make it end up looking different than I had pictured. But I'm still happy with it. Glad you recognized the hard work though. If I ever get the right LEDs for the radio it will be really awesome to me. I know most would say riced out. But I like unique since it's not something you can really buy at Walmart and glue to the car and I don't see anyone else with it.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #46
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k100shn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
Dude that looks great! Definitely post up the finished ac unit. Can't wait to start mine. Do you have any pics of it in the dark?how did the soldering go? I ended up using a pencil and pushing down on the led while my buddy tacked it in place.
I'm going to start on the radio in the next couple of days! And i'll post pictures once everything is done!

Soldering went well, a little tricky as you know haha but it went well. As I progressed I definitely got a lot better!
Did you ever get the radio done? Wondering what you used for the tiny LEDs. Here is a pic of one that I took when I had it apart.
Attached Images

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #47
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I did some of the other lights tonight. The trunk button, the headlight switch and both window controls. Here's a couple pics. They look a lot whiter in the pics than in real life. All of the blue matches color when your in the car but look different in the pics. I tried to get the overhead SOS and sunroof controls out but couldn't get it. Gonna have to do some more research on how to get that thing out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #48
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
One more. And can anyone tell me a number for the one led that is standing up on its end in the picture and the tiny ones in the other picture? If anyone happens to know those that would be freaking sweet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #49
wyciwug
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
I've been wanting to do this for a really long time now. I've got a lot of people saying it wont look good. I'm really glad i did it. and this is how i did it.

i ordered 3528 SMD LED's of ebay - 20 peice- $2.99
i ordered white face gauges of ebay - $23.99
i had a local sign shop print out stickers of the m power symbol and 135i badge.

this is how the gauge faces turned out.
Attachment 783435

to remove the cluster there is 2 screws above the cluster.
Attachment 783434

after you have those out just pull on the cluster and it will come out towards you. remove the cable from the back of the cluster. and now you have the unit free. on the back of the cluster there is 6 tabs that is holding the black housing around the cluster together. there is also a sticker that needs to be peeled back.
Attachment 783433

place this piece aside for now.
Attachment 783432

now you have to remove the back black portion of the housing. or you can leave it on, its up to you. i took it off.
there are 4 tabs around the receptacle for the plug in the back.
Attachment 783431
just use a small screw driver to press those tabs to release the housing.
Attachment 783430

now follow this video to remove the needles
http://www.bimmian.com/M-Style-Red-N...r-E91-3-Series

once those are off release the 4 white tabs holding the circuit board to the faces.Attachment 783429

you also have to disconnect the ribbon by pulling out on the black tab and the ribbon slides out.
Attachment 783428

you can now set this piece aside. or if you were wanting to put on the white faces now would be the time to do it. just follow directions that come with the faces.
Attachment 783427

these are the LED's. i had a friend that is really good with soldering and he really helped me do this right. there is solder on both sides of the LED and all you have to do is melt each side and pull the LED off with tweezers or something small to grab them. and then solder the new ones on. there is a corner that is missing on the LED's so make sure that it lines up the same as the old ones.
Attachment 783426

after you get the new LED's on the board, re install the parts in reverse order.
re installing the needles is a pain in the a.

this is what it looks light with lights off.
Attachment 783422

and this is with lights on.
Attachment 783423

and this is from sitting in the seat.
Attachment 783424

i'm really happy with the outcome and i cant wait to tear apart the steering wheel and door handles and everywhere else there is a orange LED and replace it. time for everyone to tell me how much they hate it but i like it and i doubt i'll run into someone with the same look, even minus the blue LED's. i like it being unique. thanks for looking!
Do you know where i can find the white gauge for 2008 bmw 128i convertible?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #50
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyciwug
Do you know where i can find the white gauge for 2008 bmw 128i convertible?
look on eBay. just search bmw e82 135i white face gauges. doesn't matter that it's a vert or 128. still the same gauges.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #51
NathanPeltier
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

I did the same in my f20 but I used White SMD chips, only took me an hour 🤔😅
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #52
VolC4n
Rep
Drives: 135i

This is awesome

So I really wanna do this, but did you ever manage to get a stock code or size for the LEDS in the radio? Because I'm keen but I don't wanna be left with an orange radio :/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #53
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolC4n
So I really wanna do this, but did you ever manage to get a stock code or size for the LEDS in the radio? Because I'm keen but I don't wanna be left with an orange radio :/
no. unfortunately not. have been looking into ways to replace it with a tablet. haven't had much luck there. used to be someone that said he would do it if the radio was shipped to him. he since fell off the map. still have the orange radio. from what I've seen, the tablet is going to be the best bet. I know the 3 series has a bezel to fit a tablet instead of the radio and moves the climate control down. maybe one day I'll try that.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #54
VolC4n
Rep

Quote:
no. unfortunately not. have been looking into ways to replace it with a tablet. haven't had much luck there. used to be someone that said he would do it if the radio was shipped to him. he since fell off the map. still have the orange radio. from what I've seen, the tablet is going to be the best bet. I know the 3 series has a bezel to fit a tablet instead of the radio and moves the climate control down. maybe one day I'll try that.
OK awesome. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try start with the radio then. Otherwise that tablet idea is cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #55
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
OK awesome. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try start with the radio then. Otherwise that tablet idea is cool.
I wouldn't mess with the radio unless you do that kind of stuff for a living. the LEDs are super small and encased in resin. there have been issues with our radios that I think might be replaced with warranty or a sb for it, so if you can keep your radio from showing any tampering, that would be best.

life just gets in the way of everything. I've been thinking about messing with the tablet for a couple years now. I know it's going to need slight modification because the 3 series adapter is just a little wider than the 1er bezel is. now I just need to find the time.

good luck with whatever route you take!

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #56
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
here is the trim piece if your willing or wanting to try it out. I would try that before taring your radio apart.

Metra 95-9306B Dash Kit for: 2006-2009 BMW 3-Series Double DIN With Out Factory Navigation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00322FGSO..._1patzb9VVCA43

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #57
VolC4n
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mess with the radio unless you do that kind of stuff for a living. the LEDs are super small and encased in resin. there have been issues with our radios that I think might be replaced with warranty or a sb for it, so if you can keep your radio from showing any tampering, that would be best.

life just gets in the way of everything. I've been thinking about messing with the tablet for a couple years now. I know it's going to need slight modification because the 3 series adapter is just a little wider than the 1er bezel is. now I just need to find the time.

Hahaha so I took the radio apart today, then came online and read this I don't do it for a living but fortunately I have a friend who does. From a first glance he says the led footprints look like 0603 for the tiny ones and 0805 for the slightly bigger ones. So gonna try get those tomorrow. Also I just used a random blue led on its side for the start/stop button, I had to remove the small resistor that runs parallel to it though for it to work (it's bright without it, but wouldn't turn on with it, so maybe I'll try a smaller one) . My car is far out of warranty too. Otherwise I wouldn't do this at all. Also that bezel is cheap. Shot for the link (a replacement lcd for the stock radio is like $100 or something ridiculous) so if my radio breaks I'll definitely go that route. . Did you have any issues when doing the HVAC control with only certain leds lighting up? Only two of mine light up gonna try go back to the orange tomorrow and see if it's perhaps a voltage issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #58
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hahaha so I took the radio apart today, then came online and read this I don't do it for a living but fortunately I have a friend who does. From a first glance he says the led footprints look like 0603 for the tiny ones and 0805 for the slightly bigger ones. So gonna try get those tomorrow. Also I just used a random blue led on its side for the start/stop button, I had to remove the small resistor that runs parallel to it though for it to work (it's bright without it, but wouldn't turn on with it, so maybe I'll try a smaller one) . My car is far out of warranty too. Otherwise I wouldn't do this at all. Also that bezel is cheap. Shot for the link (a replacement lcd for the stock radio is like $100 or something ridiculous) so if my radio breaks I'll definitely go that route. . Did you have any issues when doing the HVAC control with only certain leds lighting up? Only two of mine light up gonna try go back to the orange tomorrow and see if it's perhaps a voltage issue.
nope. the climate control was pretty straight forward. had to take a piece of plastic out and put paper in so the light would spread across the screen. I tried doing that to my start button but I couldn't get it to light up. I didn't know about a transistor. that's pretty cool.
let me know if you get the radio done. been wanting that done for so long. you'll have to write it up and put some pictures up and update this thread.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #59
VolC4n
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolC4n View Post
Sorry I'm referring to the 8 LED's behind the lcd on the hvac control
Appreciate 0