E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Airbag technology and locations / side impact protection

04-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Airbag technology and locations / side impact protection

Looks like we'll all be well protected Interesting stuff... BMW now has incremental airbag inflation based on impact severity ("Impact Depending System").

Impact Depending System

If the force of an impact exceeds a predetermined threshold, the sensors of the driver and front passenger airbags trigger the inflation of the airbags within a fraction of a second, significantly reducing the risk of cranial and upper body injuries in the event of a head-on collision.

The two-level gas generator enables the airbag to be inflated to match the strength of the impact. In a more serious accident, an infinitesimal delay in activation ensures that the airbags inflate with their full force to protect the car's occupants even better. During a less severe collision, inflation is not as instantaneous, meaning that the airbags can cushion the occupants more "gently".

In all accidents, the generator's performance is gauged in such a way that nobody in the automobile comes into contact with the steering wheel or instrument panel. The front passenger airbag does not inflate if the passenger seat is empty, reducing the replacement and repairs costs after the accident.

Several airbags protect the passengers of a BMW in the event of a collision. The standard-fitting driver and front passenger airbags function according to the Impact-Depending (ID) system, which calculates the danger posed to the driver and front passenger by taking factors such as the strength of the impact into account; the airbag is then inflated the appropriate size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

good to know!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
mduchesne
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black 330i

Now I know I will be safe if I crash this baby going 155mph on my top end run...haha...well hopefully I do not have to find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
155mph - Is that what the e90 is electronically limited to?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
mduchesne
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black 330i

the sport package is supposedly limited to 155 and the non-sport package is 130 or 135 i think.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 02:24 AM   #6
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

You see there are no rear door airbags! I read where they said the structure in the door is enough protection from a side impact! Heck for a few measly dollars, they should have went the whole 9 yards and fitted the rear door too---it sure as heck wont hurt
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

booyah - you're correct, there are diagonal aluminum beams in each door for collision protection. Here's a brief description:

Side Impact Protection
In the event of an accident involving a lateral collision, BMW automobiles all possess a highly effective side impact protection system. Diagonal aluminium crossmembers are embedded within each door and are supplemented by door catch hooks. This, combined with the extra-strong locks and hinges, ensures that the doors and side walls are exceptionally strong and stiff. They are ideally suited to prevent outside objects from punching through in the event of a collision from the side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I hate to say this but if you crash any car at 155mph, the odds of surviving are lower than the odds of not.

Best that you not do it, or be careful when you do and know the risks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah
You see there are no rear door airbags! I read where they said the structure in the door is enough protection from a side impact! Heck for a few measly dollars, they should have went the whole 9 yards and fitted the rear door too---it sure as heck wont hurt
Rear-door side-impact airbags are, to many, controversial. The argument against those airbags is that if you have a child in the back seat who isn't in optimal position, he or she could be hurt by the airbag. BMW is thinking--so they said at 3AA in Detroit--that that's too much of a risk. So, they made the doors extra tough and put in the head curtain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but E46s came with those rear airbags, but they could be defeated--and often were--to keep things safe for the kiddies.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
The front passenger airbag does not inflate if the passenger seat is empty, reducing the replacement and repairs costs after the accident.
How nice of them.

I imagine, however, that if my car is going to get into an accident that bad, the insurance company would total the thing anyway. So, what's the difference?
Appreciate 0