BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #23
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

yeah to be honest im really not interested in reprogramming. yeah its quite a bit more power but ~300/300 is enough for me, id rather maintain quality and longevity. and for some reason i have a deep seated (and yes, arguably unsubstantiated) mistrust for 80% of aftermarket parts. i just dont believe the majority of them tend to do the R&D required. mechanical/exhaust etc stuff im ok with.. sorry i know ill get flamed for this since we're all enthusiasts and hence largely aftermarket tuners, but just my 0.02$.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #24
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
whats AA?

Active atuowerke. A very reputable and respected tunner, been around for more than 20yrs.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/e92335/main.php
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm quite concerned about soft ware too, but really want it. At 6000 ft I'm loosing power. The whole reason the 135 is so exciting to me is because of what it will do where I'm at. I want to chip it for more horse power. However, I'm not going balls out. I doubt I will get an exhaust or anything else. Ijust want to goose the boost a bit.

I'm not ga ga over a 300 hp 135. I could get a STi. I'm ga ga over a reasonable 350-360 hp 135i with a limited slip that will cost me another ~$3500.

I don't see Procede having the experience with BMWs or the reputation for me to trust my car to. Even though they certainly get the numbers. I will go with AA, or wait for Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #26
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
They offer tuning upgrades for the 335i. Its about half the price of Shiv's Procede but isnt as thorough and is allegedly undetectable by the dealer.

Btw, I emailed Shiv via e90post about the 135i and asked if they would offer something similiar to AA. I expressed my warranty concerns and did not get a response. I lost respect for those guys also. I'll wait for an M1 or BMW sponsored parts. I'm not interested in blowing up my 135i. Thanks.
One, not to start yet another AA vs. ProCede debate, but I'm curious as to why you say it's not as 'thorough' as the ProCede? Is it the build quality, the gains? I haven't physically seen either.

The constant debate on E90post made my head hurt, I can't even troll through those threads any more. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Procede isn't double the cost of AA's "XEDE" it's about 200.00 less. 1,350 for procede and 1100 for xede. AA uses a "Xede" piggyback ecu that intercepts the signals so no codes are thrown. Vishnu uses a "Haltech interceptor" piggyback ecu that does the same thing, except it have more digital inputs/outputs the "Xede" allowing for control of more stuff, like, boost, fuel, bi-vanos, timing, fuel, etc.

They are both great products. AA's has more experience historically (number of years) whereas Vishnu has the most experience of any tuner with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #28
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

I love to mod, but I think I'm gonna give the N54 aftermarket additional time to mature before pulling the trigger on any power enhancers. I'd like to have a year in stock trim to work out any bugs...*cough fuel pump cough*...before unleashing the beast. :biggrin:

BTW, anyone waiting for Dinan to step up is probably going to be disappointed with both price and power gains. That's if (IF) they come out with anything other than an exhaust. They seem to be having some trouble getting up to speed on the TT N54. Fortunately there are plenty of tuners willing and able to pick up their slack...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #29
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
...*cough fuel pump cough*...
Slik - is that the High Pressure fuel pump at the injector rail?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #30
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Slik - is that the High Pressure fuel pump at the injector rail?
Yeah, the HPFP. It's hard to tell at this point if BMW/Siemens have a handle on it, but I'm confident they will. The big problem seems to be the number of replacement pumps available; this should improve over the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #31
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Thanks - BTW, Siemens just sold it's VDO operation to Continental AG. Conti is bringing over half its revenue in via softwear rather than tires and the addition of VDO is just going to up that ratio.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #32
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I think I will keep my engine stock for at least a year or two to let this technology mature first. Keep this in mind as well, the hp gain with 91 oct is 20hp/50tq and most of the gasoline stations around me do not sell 91+ oct gas. Since I never had a car to take advantage of higher oct gas, I do not know much about mixing my own gas. I imagine the process to mix your own 94+ gas is more complicated than dumping some addictives into gas tank during fill up.

If someone has more experience on this please chime in.
      08-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #33
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I think I will keep my engine stock for at least a year or two to let this technology mature first. Keep this in mind as well, the hp gain with 91 oct is 20hp/50tq and most of the gasoline stations around me do not sell 91+ oct gas. Since I never had a car to take advantage of higher oct gas, I do not know much about mixing my own gas. I imagine the process to mix your own 94+ gas is more complicated than dumping some addictives into gas tank during fill up.

It IS that easy... but not that cheap long term. By some gallon cans of toluene at Sherwin Williams (octane of 114). 1 gallon of toluene and 13 gallons of 91 is 92.62 octane. 2 gallons and 12 gallons of 91 is 94.28.

I also know of some who have ran straight E85 (100+) in their 1.8Ts though some 50/50 mix is probably safer for corrosive prone parts.

Edit: probably should have just stated its not a smart idea to run E85 in gasoline motors without a lot of research into the risks of doing so!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #34
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjack View Post
He also does not have a good rep in the Subaru arena. I have heard many a story about some shady stuff when I owned my STi. The tuning products are top notch from what I have seen though.
Yeah, he had a falling out within the Subaru community. Not quite sure why though. I could look into it. I'm an active member at NASIOC, owning an 02 WRX with some mods, including a reflash(Cobb, not Vishnu).

I will say that Vishnu was among the very first to get into the WRX engine and ECU back in 02 when I bought my car. There was not much of a Subaru aftermarket to say the least.

Shiv had all the trust in the world at first, that's why I find it odd that he has a bad rep now(with Subies).

I, for one, plan on a 135 with some type of EM. That's jus ttoo cheap of HP to pass up. Still doing my research tough.

I just joined this forum today, and you guys seem to have a nice little community going here. That's one thing I've always loved about my Subaru. I was worried I'd find some type of ClubSI thing going on with the 1er. Even m3forums kinda spews a lot of mis-information and flames. (I don't mean to offend anyone)

I'll be around. To the mods\owners\members of this site, thanks! :respekt:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
Sperm
Rep

Quote:

There's always Meth\water injection! :biggrin: Doubtful there'll be many bimmers running around with cans of meth in the trunk though, but if you want to, you could.

Man, FI cars are soooo :w00t:!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Only problem with meth and water is there is no fluid at all in the intake track thanks to the direct fuel injection (unless you count air as a fluid like the engineers do ;-). That means BMW has messed with valve timing something fierce and I wouldn't want to predict how adding methanol into that process would effect it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #37
Sperm
Rep

Good point. I wouldn't want to predict that either, but I'm sure someone else will.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #38
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Cliff's Notes version of easy (but not cheap) homemade race gas:

1 gallon xylene (or toluene) to 2 gallons of gasoline. Mix in a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to help keep the seals lubed and there you go!

Upside: Yes it works and your engine won't explode. Retail octane boosters use these additives.

Downsides: Expensive for long-term use, and even if you use MMO the fuel system seals will dissolve.

Google "xylene race gas". There's alot of info out in the turbo world. :smile:

Edit: somebody beat me. sorry to be redundant.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #39
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Dang Slik - Marvel Mystery Oil - top lube, used to be all the rage in the '20s and '30s of the last century. ; -) Good to know it's still with us!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #40
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Dang Slik - Marvel Mystery Oil - top lube, used to be all the rage in the '20s and '30s of the last century. ; -) Good to know it's still with us!!
Some lubes never die!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #41
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Thanks guys, I learned something new today!
      08-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #42
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

A 400+ crank hp 135i just by a simple software upgrade. This car will be killer.
      08-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #43
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjack View Post
He also does not have a good rep in the Subaru arena. I have heard many a story about some shady stuff when I owned my STi. The tuning products are top notch from what I have seen though.

Not anymore. (Former WRX guy here.)

He used to have a good rep in the early days, but Shiv has a habit of switching his attention to the newest platform, and when he does, he seems to forget about the people / cars that helped put him on the map.

I'd hesitate before buying a Vishnu product, but that's just a personal thing.

Now if Cobb Tuning comes out with something for the 135i, I'm sold.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #44
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
Not anymore. (Former WRX guy here.)

He used to have a good rep in the early days, but Shiv has a habit of switching his attention to the newest platform, and when he does, he seems to forget about the people / cars that helped put him on the map.

I'd hesitate before buying a Vishnu product, but that's just a personal thing.

Now if Cobb Tuning comes out with something for the 135i, I'm sold.
Yeah, he left us Evo guys for the mazdaspeed3 and the 335i.
Appreciate 0