BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #45
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Yeah, he left us Evo guys for the mazdaspeed3 and the 335i.
I guess he's a repeat offender.

That doesn't bode well for any new platform he starts work on. You can basically rest assured that he's going to forget about you when the next big thing comes out.

Also, item for item, his stuff was vastly overpriced for Subarus, even compared with the stuff from other top-tier tuners. It bordered on insane. For the BMW crowd, his stuff probably won't seem as overpriced, because BMW parts in general will set you back a goldmine.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #46
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post

That doesn't bode well for any new platform he starts work on. You can basically rest assured that he's going to forget about you when the next big thing comes out.

Also, item for item, his stuff was vastly overpriced for Subarus, even compared with the stuff from other top-tier tuners. It bordered on insane. For the BMW crowd, his stuff probably won't seem as overpriced, because BMW parts in general will set you back a goldmine.
Yeah I'm very hesitant about a PROCEDE b/c of personal reasons at this point.
      08-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #47
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Not anymore. (Former WRX guy here.)

He used to have a good rep in the early days, but Shiv has a habit of switching his attention to the newest platform, and when he does, he seems to forget about the people / cars that helped put him on the map.

I'd hesitate before buying a Vishnu product, but that's just a personal thing.

Now if Cobb Tuning comes out with something for the 135i, I'm sold.

Ahh, so that's why he fell out of favor. I haven't been keeping on the EM forum over at NASIOC since I bought a Cobb Access Port.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Cobb getting into the BMW arena, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #48
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Interesting stuff... I think I'll hold off on EM for a while. First mods for me would probably be LSD and exhaust anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #49
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Sounds like Active Autowerk is a more reliable company
      08-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #50
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

COBB also said they would not get into tuning the Evo. COBB makes nice stuff, but I think I will head in a different direction if I end up with the 135i. They seem to just copy other peoples designs (not all the time) and mark it up with their name on it.

I am still waiting to see the final product for the STi, EVO and the 135i in person before I make any decisions.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

^
Yeah, I know. I guess if there's enough $$ in it, they'll do it. I have a feeling there's going to be a big aftermarket for the 1. Give it some time and we'll have a bunch of choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #52
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

There should, indeed be a big aftermarket for the 1, but it goes beyond that. The twin-turbo 6 could be the beginning of affordable performance parts for the BMW crowd... for the first time ever, as FI is cheaper to make faster. Also, since BMW is putting this engine in everything... from the 1 series right through the 5 series, supporting this engine will pay dividends to any tuner/manufacturer who gets on the bandwagon.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #53
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Sounds like Active Autowerk is a more reliable company
Plus you can turn of the XEDE they use so the dealer wont detect it unlike the procede from Vishnu < I'm actually lookin at there AA performance kit or get custom tuning. Not so much power as Vishnu procede the AA kit is though .
      08-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #54
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvtecEM View Post
Plus you can turn of the XEDE they use so the dealer wont detect it unlike the procede from Vishnu < I'm actually lookin at there AA performance kit or get custom tuning. Not so much power as Vishnu procede the AA kit is though .

This is untrue, Vishnu originally sold the "Xede" before the haltech device called the "Procede". Both the xede and procede can be removed before going in to the dealer so that they won't be detected, and since they use the same wires, they take equal amounts of time to install uninstall (about 15-20 minutes). The benefit to the xede is it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and the procede has more digital input/outputs which allows control of more things. Supposedly, this is why V2 procede makes so much more power then AA's xede and v1.? procede. These extra connections allow vishnu to control bi-vanos. But we don't know this for sure yet because it hasn't been released to the public.

Guys there really isn't a whole lot to this stuff, all AA or Vishnu do and modify the boost, timing, and a/f ratio, that it! Four different wires out of 100 wires on the factory ecu.

Regarding Cobb tuning, I had my 335i dynoed there a couple months ago, and at that point, they had never had one on the dyno before, let alone getting product ready.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #55
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

to keep the discussion going..

"It's easy to get more boost but for a tuner it's not always simple to do it under all conditions - at cold start, when hot and at altitude, for example. And there's a problem with the exhaust downpipe. With more power it gets very hot and will break." -emmerson/eurotuner
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #56
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
to keep the discussion going..

" And there's a problem with the exhaust downpipe. With more power it gets very hot and will break." -emmerson/eurotuner
Uhh is he talking about the N54?

Normally you have to worry about the manifold cracking long before you have to worry about the downpipe in turbo cars. Even with the pre-cats in their location the manifold sees higher temperatures due to the fact that its under pressure when the car is in boost. I wouldn't worry about the n54 manifolds cracking anytime soon. The way they are designed this shouldn't be a concern at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #57
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I am going to give Shiv and PROcede a shot first. By the time our cars get to us early next year Im sure there will be plenty of tests, dyno, and video comparisons on all of the different piggy-back chips out there. PROcede V2 will be out within the month and we will see what chip, DP, exhaust, IC, & nice tire combos can do. Will only make the wait harder.:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #58
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Goldmine or not, but my little honda cost me about $1200 to get the "K-Pro" which is our ECU management system. Stock ECU on a stock rsx-s vs. a stock rsx-s with k-pro is about a 5hp difference... PROcede claims to collect an extra 75hp and 114 trq and its about the same price as my K-Pro :eyebulge:

This PROcede stuff just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside lol.... an EXTRA 114 trq is a dream coming from a honda driver
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #59
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsept View Post
Goldmine or not, but my little honda cost me about $1200 to get the "K-Pro" which is our ECU management system. Stock ECU on a stock rsx-s vs. a stock rsx-s with k-pro is about a 5hp difference... PROcede claims to collect an extra 75hp and 114 trq and its about the same price as my K-Pro :eyebulge:

This PROcede stuff just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside lol.... an EXTRA 114 trq is a dream coming from a honda driver

You can't really compare re-flashing a naturally aspirated engine to re-flashing an engine that has forced induction. It's really comparing apples to oranges.

Check out some of the other cars that come turbo'd from the factory (WRX, Evo, STi, Mazdaspeed3, SRT-4, GTI, C30, etc...), and you'll see that re-flashing most or all of these cars does A LOT more than any N/A Honda engine could ever hope for with a re-flash.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #60
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I think I will keep my engine stock for at least a year or two to let this technology mature first. Keep this in mind as well, the hp gain with 91 oct is 20hp/50tq and most of the gasoline stations around me do not sell 91+ oct gas. Since I never had a car to take advantage of higher oct gas, I do not know much about mixing my own gas. I imagine the process to mix your own 94+ gas is more complicated than dumping some addictives into gas tank during fill up.

If someone has more experience on this please chime in.
i am expecting my 08 335 in about 6 weeks. here in ecuador the highest octane they have is 89.

i do not have the details here at home, but toluene (which is a natural component of pump gasoline) can be added to your gasoline to bump up the octane.

i think i need approx 2 gallons of toluene for every 89 octane tank fill to get me at approx 93 -95octane.

i am looking into a chemical manufaturer to make it for me here. in the states, i have read that toluene is a paint thinner which u can buy most everywhere.

if u search e90post or bimmerfest, there is so good info re toluene. i just do not have my stuff / info here.

if u do use it though, be sure to wash your filler neck with reg gas after your toluene pour (it can eat your filler neck).

if anyone else has any comments or info, or EXPERIENCE withy toluene, u have at least 2 guys here that are interested!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #61
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
1 gallon xylene (or toluene) to 2 gallons of gasoline. Mix in a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to help keep the seals lubed and there you go!

Downsides: Expensive for long-term use, and even if you use MMO the fuel system seals will dissolve.

Google "xylene race gas". There's alot of info out in the turbo world. :smile:
sorry i missed the 2 parts above, i will google it as suggested.

so i can use your idea to mix some toluene, but long term it will disolve my fuel system seals? so if i understand u correctly, mixoing toluene shoould only be done once in a while for "fun", correct?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #62
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

The only things I've read about toulene were as a way to increase fuel mileage about 10-15%. And they used VERY small amounts, like 2oz per 15 gal tank, IIRC. Be very carefull and do your research before adding 2 GALLONS of this extremely volatile liquid to the tank of a new 335i.
      09-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #63
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
i have done a bit of research on toluene, but have not read about fuel system seals could dissolve.

since toluene is a natural component of reg gasoline, only 1 - 2 gallons mixed with 14 gallons "reg" gas can still cause fuel system seal problems?

how certain are u of this? where i am, i have only 89 octane avail, and i was counting on using toluene for every fillup in my brand new 335.

than ks for your input.
I would use Lucas UCL if you are going to do that. Pump gas is pretty dry as it is and with the high % of HPFP failure's you would need some form of stabilizer/lubricant IMO.

I would not use Toluene as a long term octane increaser. I would rather tune my car for 89.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #64
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I believe the 335i and it's ECU will deal effectively with 89 octane--it just won't make max horsepower.
      09-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #65
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
I believe the 335i and it's ECU will deal effectively with 89 octane--it just won't make max horsepower.

The thought of 89 scares me. I have a 335i with procede and in the summer +105 deg I can feel the difference between different brands of 91.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #66
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
i am sure the ECU can deal with 89 octane,
but with all due respect guys, i did not spend good BMW money to get less than max performance.

my car will have 2 disadvantages that i want to fix:
i live at 7,000 feet above sea level, AND there is only 89 octane here.

i want to safely boost octane with each tankful so the car can run closer to sea level stock performance at my high altitude.

EDIT: note that i read an "authoritative" type article written by a "racer" that said toluene was perfectly safe, and it was a natural component of gasoline.
but if you guys have had real life experiences with toluene, or know people who have, i should probably refer to your collective judgement.

any help or comments re boosting gas?

once the gas is taken care of, i was planning on a intercooler upgrade (for cooler / denser air ) to help with this altitude. thinking of shelby spearco.
any help or comments re upgrading intercooler?

then i was going to do an ECU mod possibly with a lower boost map / and or better intake with exhaust.
any help or comments ECU mod versus an intake and exhaust mod?

u guys seem to know a hell of alot more than i do (i am just reading forums and learning that way).
what do u guys think about all of my above thinking?

appreciate any and all help.
thanks from a noobie.
Appreciate 0