^aye

will to
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #93
Hossam
Private
Rep
Drives: 323Ci

For the sake of intellectual theoretical argument...

What if the BMW production line becomes so flexible to the point that they can produce any model (e.g., 135i, M1, 335i, M3) on a week's notice in response to market demands with minimum production cost increase. Wouldn't that change the view of any model canibalizing another? If so, couldn't that be the path BMW is following, perhaps to reach such flexibility within 5-10 years?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #94
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

this may have been covered already, but there has been recently a similar situation.

bmw said repeatedly, and for years, that the z4 3.0 had plenty of motor, and there were no plans or need for a z4 m convertible.

of course, there is a z4 m convertible now. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought out a m(*) toward the end of the 1-series run.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #95
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
For those who dont know yet, that 4.0 v8 is 50lb lighter than 3.2 inline 6..
Actually the S65B40 weighs 442 lb., which is 33lbs. lighter then the S54B32
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #96
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm all up for an M version of the 1 series. But to call it an M1 would be unjustified. It does not have the character or the soul of the original legend of the M1. They are 2 entirely different breeds. To label them as such with a historic name like the M1 would be unfitting. I'm sure the guys over at Bayerische Motoren Werke will pay tribute and hopefully name the ///M version of the 1 series something more fresh.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #97
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

BMW M1=
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #98
othercaracobra
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzed310 View Post
I'm all up for an M version of the 1 series. But to call it an M1 would be unjustified. It does not have the character or the soul of the original legend of the M1. They are 2 entirely different breeds. To label them as such with a historic name like the M1 would be unfitting. I'm sure the guys over at Bayerische Motoren Werke will pay tribute and hopefully name the ///M version of the 1 series something more fresh.
So tell me, what was really so great about the M1 that makes it a legend? I keep hearing about the "legendary" M1, but I really don't recall the car having great racing success, nor being anywhere close to being the "baddest" thing on the street. Enlighten me...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #99
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Actually the S65B40 weighs 442 lb., which is 33lbs. lighter then the S54B32
And for the record the S65 is still heavier than the N54. I believe its by about the same margin the S54 is heavier than the S65 - ~30lbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #100
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
this may have been covered already, but there has been recently a similar situation.

bmw said repeatedly, and for years, that the z4 3.0 had plenty of motor, and there were no plans or need for a z4 m convertible.

of course, there is a z4 m convertible now. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought out a m(*) toward the end of the 1-series run.
A fair point.

The major difference, of course, is that the Z4 is not available with the N54 motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #101
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpotian View Post
What if the BMW production line becomes so flexible to the point that they can produce any model (e.g., 135i, M1, 335i, M3) on a week's notice in response to market demands with minimum production cost increase. Wouldn't that change the view of any model canibalizing another? If so, couldn't that be the path BMW is following, perhaps to reach such flexibility within 5-10 years?
I belive the canibalization argument centers around one vehicle's demand decreasing that of another. I don't think that production capacity is really the issue. The issue is spending all that money developing a product only to have it not meet sales goals.

(Not that I am taking a position either way on that particular argument.)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #102
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by othercaracobra View Post
So tell me, what was really so great about the M1 that makes it a legend? I keep hearing about the "legendary" M1, but I really don't recall the car having great racing success, nor being anywhere close to being the "baddest" thing on the street. Enlighten me...
The only thing that makes it special IMO is that it was BMW's first supercar. Thats it. It had a 3 year run. If someone did a poll of BMW customers, I would bet less than 10% even know it existed. That probably the reason why BMW is willing to make the sacrifice and let the name go. Yeah, I'm sure the old school BMW people wont like it but the new school people just dont care. They want an M car that will be i alignment with the M3, M5, and M6. Thats why I believe only the name M1 is going to cut it. M135 sounds tacky.
      09-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #103
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
The only thing that makes it special IMO is that it was BMW's first supercar. Thats it. It had a 3 year run. If someone did a poll of BMW customers, I would bet less than 10% even know it existed. That probably the reason why BMW is willing to make the sacrifice and let the name go. Yeah, I'm sure the old school BMW people wont like it but the new school people just dont care. They want an M car that will be i alignment with the M3, M5, and M6. Thats why I believe only the name M1 is going to cut it. M135 sounds tacky.
+1

That I can agree with. Its not like BMW has been building generations of M1's over the last 30 years, slowly improving on the original, building up to some modern day supercar. The M1 will get killed by any modern M BMW, plenty of modern non-M BMWs, as well as plenty of non-BMWs for that matter. It was great in its day, but they have let the name lapse into the history books and its time to move on now.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #104
othercaracobra
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
The only thing that makes it special IMO is that it was BMW's first supercar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
+1

That I can agree with. Its not like BMW has been building generations of M1's over the last 30 years, slowly improving on the original, building up to some modern day supercar. The M1 will get killed by any modern M BMW, plenty of modern non-M BMWs, as well as plenty of non-BMWs for that matter. It was great in its day, but they have let the name lapse into the history books and its time to move on now.
To me the only thing that made it special or "super" was it's exclusivity. It was a good performer in it's time, but not great, and that's my point. The legend is bigger than the reality.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #105
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by othercaracobra View Post
No, it was never the baddest thing on the street. It was however a true supercar hand built by the Motorsports Division that paved the way for the M5 and the M635csi (there is nothing wrong with BMW calling it the M135i, like the aforementioned.) with its M88/1 3.5L 6-cylinder. I also believe, but have not seen the actual document, where BMW has said they will not brand another BMW with the M1 name.

All history and such aside, it just sounds funny that it will be called an M1 because it is no where related to an M1 through its lineage, as stated before its a different breed.

Can anyone provide documentation from BMW or the Motorsports Division where they state they will not name a version of the 1 series an M1, or where they state they will?

This is just my opinion of things. I consider myself a BMW enthusiast, but I am not an elitist of the marque. I'm pretty convinced I will be getting a 135i, and if BMW released a new M1, I wont be waving my snotty elitist nose at it, I'll get in and drive the piss out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #106
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
All history and such aside, it just sounds funny that it will be called an M1 because it is no where related to an M1 through its lineage, as stated before its a different breed.
Consider this: all the 328 models in the past 10-12 years have absolutely nothing of the original 328's heritage.

Precedent seems to indicate that BMW can drop the heritage thing when it gets stretched too far.

I remember the original M1, liked it a lot when it came out, but could not care one whit if they build a new one with the same name off a hatchback platform. A name is just a name - the car's greatness comes from a totally different place.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #107
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Its so nice to have so many recently in agreement^^^
      09-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #108
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Well I could go on for days, about the history of BMW and the pre WWII "type 328" but I wont.

And to the comment about having so many in agreement is an iffy statement. Over at bimmerforums it seems to be that almost all members are against the branding of calling the 1 series an M1.

It might be because a huge majority over there already owns, have owned, or understand the lineage of BMW, more then here, respectfully. It seems on this forum that not to many people are BMW owners, and are stepping into their first BMW with the 1 series, this is of course a good thing, and by no means am I trying to compare who is better then who. I think it’s awesome that BMW is putting out a car as such. I have 2 of the first 3 series, and it’s good to see BMW step back into the good ol day's of little car shoehorned with big engine.

But its BMW's car and they can call it whatever they want, you can never please everyone. And after all, its just a name right :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #109
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Well I could go on for days, about the history of BMW and the pre WWII "type 328" but I wont.

And to the comment about having so many in agreement is an iffy statement. Over at bimmerforums it seems to be that almost all members are against the branding of calling the 1 series an M1.

It might be because a huge majority over there already owns, have owned, or understand the lineage of BMW, more then here, respectfully. It seems on this forum that not to many people are BMW owners, and are stepping into their first BMW with the 1 series, this is of course a good thing, and by no means am I trying to compare who is better then who. I think it’s awesome that BMW is putting out a car as such. I have 2 of the first 3 series, and it’s good to see BMW step back into the good ol day's of little car shoehorned with big engine.

But its BMW's car and they can call it whatever they want, you can never please everyone. And after all, its just a name right :iono:
I was just pointing out that its nice to have a few other guys that understand where I'm coming from. Especially you, being a vintage owner. I can see why the old school bimmerphiles get upset but so many of them cant see why its not THAT big of deal. I mean you have to weigh how much more money and brand recogition saving the M1 name is going to make.
      09-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #110
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
That's probably one of the more reasonable quotes that I've seen.

'82 323i = a rare and sweet ride
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread