BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Convertible

Lowered Suspension in Perth

Hi guys,

just noticed you now need a permit and inspection for suspension mods in Perth now. With my last car took to WA suspension and all done after a quick call to the insurance company. As long as the minimum clearance was >= 100m, there was not a problem.

The stock suspension on 120 needs to be a little stiffer (braking/cornering you can feel body movement) but I don't want a real harsh ride and too low drawing attention. There is a great deal on the Eibach Pro kit spring, this is 30mm lowering all around making the car on the limits of legal (would be approx 103mm). As stock there is not a huge wheel gap like you see on other cars. Other option is to buy some old M sport suspension (as stock on 135) if anyone wants to offload them as this is 15mm drop and stiffer but not sure it it would be worth it for minimal difference.

Am I too concerned about being on the lowering limit - appreciate your comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Where did you see the info regarding requiring a permit and inspection for all basic suspension mods? i know heaps of people with suspension mods but have not gone to get permits. Is this a new thing?

Who's got the deal on Eibach if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Where did you see the info regarding requiring a permit and inspection for all basic suspension mods? i know heaps of people with suspension mods but have not gone to get permits. Is this a new thing?
It looks like it came in a few years ago:-
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20500.asp

Quote:
Who's got the deal on Eibach if you don't mind me asking.
A few car parts store in Germany has quoted 170 euros ($250) delivered to Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I really wouldn't worry about getting a permit for changing your springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

Everyone I know who dropped their cars have not got permits and when I had my s2k which was maybe 70mm off the ground I didnt get one either . Having a BMW we have less police attention so I wouldnt bother with a permit.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Copied this from the Vehicle Standards Bulletin off the Dept of Transport Website

This Section outlines the minimum design, installation and fabrication requirements for the
following light vehicle modifications involving tyres, rims, suspension and steering.
1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION
The following modifications may be performed without certification if they are carried out in
accordance with sub-section 2
General Requirements and the total change in vehicle height
resulting from all modifications performed, does not exceed 50mm.
Note

Lowering and raising suspensions (by not more than one third of the original
suspension travel provided the original vehicle height is not increased or decreased by
more than 50mm);

I'm not sure what 1/3 of the original suspension travel is on a 1 series but a small drop should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
NoOg_sTaR
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, ZZT231

Don't bother with the permit. Doesn't mean shit.

I have had 8 yellow stickers in my car life and gotten over with coilovers and aftermarket arms without permits.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Copied this from the Vehicle Standards Bulletin off the Dept of Transport Website
Have you got the URL address for that Prodigy, was it on the WA Transport website? I have read that on a generic standards that NSW use but looks like WA have tightened up.

Yes I suppose the worse that will happen is that if you were really unlucky you will go over the pits and then will be approved anyway as long as in spec.
Assume it is only post 2009 mods that would need a permit that would be a problem if your car is newer than 2009.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth_vert View Post
Have you got the URL address for that Prodigy, was it on the WA Transport website? I have read that on a generic standards that NSW use but looks like WA have tightened up.
Here you go mate http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx i got to it from the link you originally posted to the Dept of Transport WA however i'm not sure if the PDF itself is WA specific, i assume the rules apply Australia wide.

About half way down the list of VSB 14 Documents is the following PDF:

NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and Steering V2 01Jan2011

That's where i copied the info from.

Last edited by Prodigy.; 10-22-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If WA is following the rest of the Australian states using VSB 14 then spring modifications won't need a permit. Most states has relaxed suspension mods since then. Can't be said for things that produce more pollution or noise though like exhaust.
Appreciate 0