BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I would ask the tuner what they offer before your fork your money over. Maybe discuss issues you're having and ask what they can do to help you. Ask how they will deal with any misfiring, what expectations they may have of you, and some examples of how they've helped customers work through issues. Ask them how long they'll help you work through issues after your initial tuning, or how many reworks they're will to do for you. Ask what sort of issues they've had in the past they could not work out.

Having spent years tuning cars, one of the hardest things to deal with as a tuner is cars that are not running well due to physical problems. The N54/N55 engine is known for having issues with plugs, coils, injectors, and carbon build up. There should be a good understanding from both parties what is expected as these crop up. You should get concrete answers to these questions. Ex. "If we see X in your logs, we'll need you to do Y, so expect to pick up parts to do Y if that happens". Or something like, "we'll make sure if X, Y, and Z happen and you do fixes A, B, and C, we'll still get you a final rework tune for it." Or maybe, "if you have issues X, Y, Z, there is a surcharge to redo the tune again after you get it fixed." Or "if you have issue Z, we'll give you 3 months to fix it and we'll get you two revisions after that".

I wouldn't want vague answers to specific questions, like a blanket "we'll work it out" when you ask specifically about carbon buildup being a factor in the car not running optimally.
      03-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

FWIW I go to VTR for almost all of my performance work and their manager drives a FBO n54 135i using Cobb. They're extremely knowledgeable and they know what they're doing. They're one of the only shops i'd trust with my car.
      03-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by One///Em View Post
+1. If haven't decided who to go with, Jake did awesome work on my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Yeah, not too excited about the numbers really. We run on Dyno Dynamics so I'm aware that peak numbers are down vs Dynojet but I would still expect a 15-30whp delta between OTS and ProTune between the runs on the same dyno.

My friend ran the Pro-Tune first and then switched to the OTS right after and only gained like 6whp. I'm not sure what's up as both cars are fresh, cared fur and we have great fuel (94oct) over here.

What I can say is that both cars are incredibly drivable and all the OTS flat spots are gone. I love how it drives and can't recommend PTF enough but I really hope there's more power in there somewhere.

Loads of cars ran on the same day and most stock cars made the figures the manufacturer claimed (within a couple of HP), a stock 1M made 20bhp over stock and a stock N55 135i with just a FMIC made 20bhp over stock so the potential on the dyno was there to see some good gains.
You may need to reset your peak number expectations. What does the area under the curve look like - that is key.

PTF will get you a bit more in terms of peak numbers, but there was a significant increase throughout the curve - I probably am averaging about 20 more whp between 2000 and 4700 rpm.

Interestingly, after 5500rpm the cobb ots maps are making more power - but since you should be shifting at around 5800-6000rpm, not a big deal.

Plus it is the driveability that is light years improved over cobb ots maps. And knowing you have a map that is made for your car and conditions.

fwiw, my peak numbers:

PTF vs. Cobb Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive on a Dyno Dynamics dyno - same day - I picked up 10whp and 27wheel tq with the ptf tune.

But like I say it is the drivability and numbers under the curve that make the tune worthwhile.

See my sig for same day dyno dynamics vs. dynojet numbers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
You may need to reset your peak number expectations. What does the area under the curve look like - that is key.

PTF will get you a bit more in terms of peak numbers, but there was a significant increase throughout the curve - I probably am averaging about 20 more whp between 2000 and 4700 rpm.

Interestingly, after 5500rpm the cobb ots maps are making more power - but since you should be shifting at around 5800-6000rpm, not a big deal.

Plus it is the driveability that is light years improved over cobb ots maps. And knowing you have a map that is made for your car and conditions.

fwiw, my peak numbers:

PTF vs. Cobb Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive on a Dyno Dynamics dyno - same day - I picked up 10whp and 27wheel tq with the ptf tune.

But like I say it is the drivability and numbers under the curve that make the tune worthwhile.

See my sig for same day dyno dynamics vs. dynojet numbers.
thanks for your input guys
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
One///Em
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M

See this comparison, same car same dyno PTF:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=700

vs Cobb S1+
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=608
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #29
Simmons-Racing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

How long does it usually take for PTF to send you the first tune?

I sent them all the info and logs but didn't receive anything in over a week?

Thanks,

sorry to highjack

2014 Mustang GT
2013 BRZ for STX
Sponsored by JSC Speed, Moto-East, Raceseng
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons-Racing View Post
How long does it usually take for PTF to send you the first tune?

I sent them all the info and logs but didn't receive anything in over a week?

Thanks,

sorry to highjack
That doesn't sound right. I'd try again to get in touch with whoever your assigned tuner is.

For me it took anywhere from a few hours to about 1.5 days on the back and forth. I don't remember how long took for first contact. But definitely not a week.
Appreciate 0