BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
maconuswett
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

2009 N51 Valve Cover replacement parts

Long time lurker, just registered so I could post this....

I had a coil go bad, when I pulled the coils to start replacing them, the hose connecting to the PCV snapped. On top of that, I knew I had a small oil leak, but I found oil in the bottom of the #4 and #3 spark plug wells, along with oil in the gaps around the areas.

So, I guess its time to replace the valve cover. The OEM replacement on FCP euro says it comes with the valve cover gasket set, Valvetronic actuator gasket, Valvetronic shaft sensor seal, and mounting bolts. Here's the link:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...l6-11127552281

So, the questions are:

- Other the the spark plug recess ignition coil guides, is there anything else I should purchase? I had the spark plugs replaced 20,000 miles ago (car is at 100K), I believe they are still good.

- FCP euro treated me well on the new coils, are they the best (ie: lowest price) for a new OEM valve cover? Is there even an aftermarket one people would recommend?

I've read the tutorials and am pretty mechanically inclined, so I feel this should be a run of the mill pain the butt, but something I can accomplish in the garage with a few beers and choice words.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I did valve cover in March and BMW parts for N51 was less than FCP, basic difference is FCP will replace your life of the ownership no labor, BMW is 2yrs however covers parts labor and diagnosis.

I did look at a aluminum valve cover on ebay my tech was a skeptic so BMW part it is.

I did the Delphi coils and plugs kit too always knew one or more of the coils was missing intermittently but no codes. Last night the low temps popped a coil and Service light on. Wish I'd done BMW parts now even tho basically the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Have you exceeded the 150k threshold? I think VCG is covered under SULEV warranty. Worth checking out. No is just a word.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 07:14 AM   #4
maconuswett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeShallCallHerBlau View Post
Have you exceeded the 150k threshold? I think VCG is covered under SULEV warranty. Worth checking out. No is just a word.
I hadn’t looked into it as I assumed the Valve Cover needs to be replaced due to the PCV is broken where the hose attaches. Also, I thought it only went to 100k on 2009 models?

Good thought though. I wonder if they would install the valve cover for free since it has to be removed to install the gasket as long as I buy a new valve cover. Are all the other gaskets covered by the SULEV warranty as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconuswett View Post
I hadn’t looked into it as I assumed the Valve Cover needs to be replaced due to the PCV is broken where the hose attaches. Also, I thought it only went to 100k on 2009 models?

Good thought though. I wonder if they would install the valve cover for free since it has to be removed to install the gasket as long as I buy a new valve cover. Are all the other gaskets covered by the SULEV warranty as well?
VCG and PCV are all covered under SULEV in many states till 150k. I've had my VCG/ PCV all covered for free. They did my airbag recall at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
maconuswett
Rep

I didn’t realize the PCV was covered. It’s integral to the valve cover, so if it’s broken they replace the VC correct? I saw where people could hack together fox, but didn’t the me would do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 08:56 PM   #7
maconuswett
Rep

So, update and issue…

Long story short, dealer told me to go F myself so I ordered a new valve cover and coil guides and did the work this weekend. Getting the new one on isn’t that bad if you have another set of hands. But, I’ve run into an issue…

I’m getting codes for “multiple cylinder misfire” and misfires on the 2,3,4 and 6 cylinders (pulled the p code with my generic scan tool). Now, while I was in there, I pulled each spark plug to get easier access to clean out oil in the spark plug well. Maybe I screwed something up? All of the coils are brand new, and I swapped each coil with a known good coil one at a time and still ran rough with a misfire.

I double and triple checked the gasket, it was seated perfectly and I torqued each bolt down to 8.6nm +/-. I’m not seeing any oil seeping out, however, when I was monitoring the rough idle looking for leaks, the exhaust(maybe header?) started glowing orange (shut it down immediately)

So, what’s y’all thoughts? I double checked all connections and hoses. Something as simple as the spark plugs? Thy only have 20k on them but maybe I screwed them up when pulling and putting back in?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 07:50 PM   #8
maconuswett
Rep

I got it fixed. How? I’m not 100%

I pulled the coils, replaced all spark plugs, then reinstalled all coils and quadruple checked everything. I then installed all the coils again, and started it up. Still misfiring on the 1 and 4 cylinder. So I moved the 1 and 4 coil to 2 and 3. Started it up again, and boom, ran like normal.

What was it? I have no clue. But I’ll take it for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:38 AM   #9
BimmerxVision
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i, 1989 E30 325ix

Garage List
1989 BMW 325IX  [8.75]
2011 BMW 128i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconuswett View Post
Long time lurker, just registered so I could post this....

I had a coil go bad, when I pulled the coils to start replacing them, the hose connecting to the PCV snapped. On top of that, I knew I had a small oil leak, but I found oil in the bottom of the #4 and #3 spark plug wells, along with oil in the gaps around the areas.

So, I guess its time to replace the valve cover. The OEM replacement on FCP euro says it comes with the valve cover gasket set, Valvetronic actuator gasket, Valvetronic shaft sensor seal, and mounting bolts. Here's the link:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...l6-11127552281

So, the questions are:

- Other the the spark plug recess ignition coil guides, is there anything else I should purchase? I had the spark plugs replaced 20,000 miles ago (car is at 100K), I believe they are still good.

- FCP euro treated me well on the new coils, are they the best (ie: lowest price) for a new OEM valve cover? Is there even an aftermarket one people would recommend?

I've read the tutorials and am pretty mechanically inclined, so I feel this should be a run of the mill pain the butt, but something I can accomplish in the garage with a few beers and choice words.

Thanks
There is a DIY write up on pelican parts covering the valve cover and gasket replacement it will tell you tools needed for the scope of work, materials, parts and in depth step by step Instruction on the process, it’s recommended to replace the coil guides as they are intended for one time use. Also realoem.com is Instrumental in my success of DIY work on my 1er. Enter bmw catalog, type in last seven of vin into vin box click search, it will pull up your specific model, click browse parts and you have access to every subcategory of part with illustrated parts breakdowns, part numbers and part nomenclature. I bought two valve cover gaskets expecting to mess it up my first try, this indeed happened and I had oil piss everywhere in my engine bay, I rolled the gasket on the backside of the firewall, I took the valve cover back off and cleaned everything up using degreaser and brakekleen, replaced the gasket even though I probably could still use it, I took extra care to put everything on again and successfully did the VCG replacement, the car ran superb after this! I did however replace my ignition harness and now I have a crank no start issue.
Appreciate 0