BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So...coming from an STi...

...I've been trying to make my mind up between a 335i and a G Coupe (unless the 2008 STi, whenever it is unveiled, is something extraordinary. Right now it appears it's going to look like a turd). I'm hesitant to pay the extra 10K for the 335i, because i think the price is bloated, but I want the power. I'm afraid going from an STi to the G Coupe would leave me bored.

So now I discover this 135i. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems like the perfect answer to what I'm looking for. So...am I missing something? One thing i'm afraid of is the reliability issue, because I've heard horror stories, and I've grown quite accustomed to never having to worry about anything of the sort with Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
...I've been trying to make my mind up between a 335i and a G Coupe (unless the 2008 STi, whenever it is unveiled, is something extraordinary. Right now it appears it's going to look like a turd). I'm hesitant to pay the extra 10K for the 335i, because i think the price is bloated, but I want the power. I'm afraid going from an STi to the G Coupe would leave me bored.

So now I discover this 135i. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems like the perfect answer to what I'm looking for. So...am I missing something? One thing i'm afraid of is the reliability issue, because I've heard horror stories, and I've grown quite accustomed to never having to worry about anything of the sort with Subaru.
welcome

The only thing you might be missing is that it isn't much lighter than the 335i. Other than that, no. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've owned both an STi and G35 Coupe and I liked both for different reasons. I always regret selling my G and constantly say it's the best car I ever owned. The G has a great mix of style and performance while the STi is... a quick, 4 door, cheap feeling... Subaru. Yeah it's quick but it lacks in just about every other department. I would hardly call that car trouble free either... with clunking suspension and constantly creaking clutch. The G was flawless however not quite as fast but a dream for a road trip and a very cool ride every day. I know this doesn't answer the question but I am in the same boat as you having just sold my Lotus...

I too fear the reliability factor but if all else fails I'll sell it at 49,999 miles...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, I'm not as caught up in the interior/rattling type stuff about the Subarus that a lot of people are. I drive them because they are solid as all hell engine wise, and for my STi, it's because it was about as much fun as you could have driving for 32K. Any "problems" I had were always superficial things that didn't affect performance. But, I just want to try something different now. Well, something different looking, with a different feel to it, but with a similar amount of fun and power
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm coming from an LGT. Dimensions are the same as the WRX. It should weigh the same, hight, and width are the same, 135i is 4 inches shorter overall, and around the same WB. I live at altitude and thought about a G too. 135i is the cure for what ails me
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
This depends. G Coupes are pretty fun cars. Very stylish, comfortable even, and quick. RWD is a lot of fun if you turn off all the driver's aids.

The STI (and EVO) are more raw than a G Coupe or any current BMW. This might matter. I once owned an Integra Type R, ran the heck out of that thing and eventually decided I wanted something different... Something more "mature." I ended up with a 5MT Lexus IS300, and after the initial honeymoon period, and a quick reuniting with my love affair RWD, I bored with the Lexus. I've been searching ever since, pining for that RAW feeling the Type R gave me. I was waiting on a 135, but decided not to wait any longer.

No one really knows what the 135i will be like, but based upon the new M3 (softer), I'm predicting it will be sportier than a 335, but nowhere near "raw." There's nothing wrong with a G Coupe, 135, 335, or similar. All are fantastic cars, and fun to drive. Many folks, my enthusiast wife included, want something more than "fast" out of their cars, and will give up that raw edge to get a little comfort.

I've learned that's not for me, though. I briefly thought about holding out until the '08 STI, but ended up grabbing a leftover '07 to play with for awhile. It's satisfying.

So, coming from an STI... Will you like the Bimmer? Sure you will! The interior will shame the Scooby. And who cares about reliability when you have a 4-year bumper to bumper? If it's not reliable, sell it before the warranty is up. Will it satisfy you over the long haul? That's for you to answer
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
If it's your only car you'll need to weigh out your priorities. If you need no type of practicality then you should really get a no-excuses sports car like a Lotus. If you need to parallel park every once in a while and maybe get some groceries then you can't have that. "Raw" is only found in cars that are meant to be nothing more than a fast toy making anything else a compromise. You should know what makes you happy... asking us will do very little. It's like me asking you guys what I would like to eat for dinner tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
This depends. G Coupes are pretty fun cars. Very stylish, comfortable even, and quick. RWD is a lot of fun if you turn off all the driver's aids.

The STI (and EVO) are more raw than a G Coupe or any current BMW. This might matter. I once owned an Integra Type R, ran the heck out of that thing and eventually decided I wanted something different... Something more "mature." I ended up with a 5MT Lexus IS300, and after the initial honeymoon period, and a quick reuniting with my love affair RWD, I bored with the Lexus. I've been searching ever since, pining for that RAW feeling the Type R gave me. I was waiting on a 135, but decided not to wait any longer.

No one really knows what the 135i will be like, but based upon the new M3 (softer), I'm predicting it will be sportier than a 335, but nowhere near "raw." There's nothing wrong with a G Coupe, 135, 335, or similar. All are fantastic cars, and fun to drive. Many folks, my enthusiast wife included, want something more than "fast" out of their cars, and will give up that raw edge to get a little comfort.

I've learned that's not for me, though. I briefly thought about holding out until the '08 STI, but ended up grabbing a leftover '07 to play with for awhile. It's satisfying.

So, coming from an STI... Will you like the Bimmer? Sure you will! The interior will shame the Scooby. And who cares about reliability when you have a 4-year bumper to bumper? If it's not reliable, sell it before the warranty is up. Will it satisfy you over the long haul? That's for you to answer
The "rawness" is exactly what I'm afraid of missing. I love the fact that the STi just felt "angry," and it was awesome to drive while angry. :mad: But as you mentioned, after 7 years driving various subarus, I want to at least try something more refined.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
If it's your only car you'll need to weigh out your priorities. If you need no type of practicality then you should really get a no-excuses sports car like a Lotus. If you need to parallel park every once in a while and maybe get some groceries then you can't have that. "Raw" is only found in cars that are meant to be nothing more than a fast toy making anything else a compromise. You should know what makes you happy... asking us will do very little. It's like me asking you guys what I would like to eat for dinner tonight.
Opinions are always helpful. I don't know a lot about the car compared to the loyal masses so I wanted some input.

Unfortunately, while it's not the only car in the household, it will be my daily driver, so there will always be a bit of compromise. That's why this niche is such an important one.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The "rawness" is exactly what I'm afraid of missing. I love the fact that the STi just felt "angry," and it was awesome to drive while angry. :mad: But as you mentioned, after 7 years driving various subarus, I want to at least try something more refined.
That's exactly what I did when I went from my modded WRX (what a hoot!) to my ZHP. I missed the raw edge and the AWD for a while, but I didn't miss the crappy brakes and light steering at all. Excuse me for waxing existential, but you can really get used to ANYTHING. The ZHP was a great ride for me - fast, sharp, refined, and the brakes were 1000% better than Scooby's.

I suspect (hope) the 135 will be very similar to the ZHP- certainly closer to the STi than the Lexuslike nature of the 335, or the 135 is going to be a total bust for BMW.

I think (lots of assumptions about the 135) you'll find the 135 very spirited and sporting, but in a more refined way than the Scoobies - raw won't be part of the equation!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
That's exactly what I did when I went from my modded WRX (what a hoot!) to my ZHP. I missed the raw edge and the AWD for a while, but I didn't miss the crappy brakes and light steering at all. Excuse me for waxing existential, but you can really get used to ANYTHING. The ZHP was a great ride for me - fast, sharp, refined, and the brakes were 1000% better than Scooby's.

I suspect (hope) the 135 will be very similar to the ZHP- certainly closer to the STi than the Lexuslike nature of the 335, or the 135 is going to be a total bust for BMW.

I think (lots of assumptions about the 135) you'll find the 135 very spirited and sporting, but in a more refined way than the Scoobies - raw won't be part of the equation!
Sorry, I'm dumb...ZHP?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sorry, I'm dumb...ZHP?
Sorry - 330i with the BMW Performance Package (ZHP is the option code) which included:

- Hotter cams
- Tuned ECU good for a little more HP
- Free flowing (cool sounding) exhaust
- M Sport body kit
- Unique wheels
- Dropped/tuned suspension
- Alcantara interior
- Sport seats
- Short shift 6 MT
- Many of the Premium Package options

The changes were subtle but really put the 330i up several notches in terms of sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sorry - 330i with the BMW Performance Package (ZHP is the option code) which included:

- Hotter cams
- Tuned ECU good for a little more HP
- Free flowing (cool sounding) exhaust
- M Sport body kit
- Unique wheels
- Dropped/tuned suspension
- Alcantara interior
- Sport seats
- Short shift 6 MT
- Many of the Premium Package options

The changes were subtle but really put the 330i up several notches in terms of sportiness.
Thanks. I'm new to BMW lingo.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Somehow I forsee a lot of converts from Scooby land. :biggrin:

Poor Subaru. :frown:
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Somehow I forsee a lot of converts from Scooby land. :biggrin:

Poor Subaru. :frown:
They will be getting what they deserve for that ugly blob they call the new Impreza. It's like English food. They boiled out all the flavor, then when that wasn't enough, they boiled it some more. What a shame.

But at least the new WRX is actually LIGHTER than the old one. BMW could learn from that!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Can definitely testify to that. 4 years of total ownership satisfaction, even from a reliability standpoint. (Well, the first new months waiting for a SW upgrade were a little weird).

The twin turbo engine in the 135 will blow your mind away. I've been living with my (slightly modified) 335 for a few weeks now and I have dreams about what this engine could be like in the 135i...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

ill be glad to trade a small amount of rawness for less interior creaks (then again your sti is a lot newer than my poor GC) but im going to miss AWD. to be honest, swapping my drivetrain for a v7 STi is probably the main competitor in my mind for the 135. yet ive always wanted a rear wheel drive, true sports car.. and swaps dont come with warranties or chiltons haha

but the new STi just looks like such crap you dont hear anything about the fact that its actually got some good hardware.

i actually just found this on the WRX which somewhat altered my opinion of it (favorably) but i still dunno

it makes sense given the utility/practicality mindedness i find typical of subaru owners but its still not pretty, and certainly nowhere near my tastes. although i do also think it is a forward thinking design in terms of balance of performance, practicality/useable space, and size/efficiency

edit: and also i bet the feel of the 135 is about spot-on with a 330 ZHP, good call
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Can definitely testify to that. 4 years of total ownership satisfaction, even from a reliability standpoint. (Well, the first new months waiting for a SW upgrade were a little weird).
Ug! Please don't bring up SW upgrades... It spoils my memory of the sublime nature of that car... My engine was NEVER quite right. I started with the rough idle, then went on to the dying at idle, and it always had the 4000 RPM flatspot. Supposedly they fixed it a few months before my lease was up...

Quote:
The twin turbo engine in the 135 will blow your mind away. I've been living with my (slightly modified) 335 for a few weeks now and I have dreams about what this engine could be like in the 135i...
I've actually driven it quite a bit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but here goes: I hope they make it a bit more RAW in the 135i. The 335i is sooooo smooth in terms of power delivery and sound that I felt like I was gliding... (probably exactly what BMW was shooting for and what the market wants, just not my preference...). I want a bit more grit!

How is yours modified?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
but im going to miss AWD
There's something wonderful about those front tires grabbing for pavement - you can feel it pulling you through the turn toward where you want to go, while the rears are pushing you along. I missed that feel for a long time!

Quote:
but the new STi just looks like such crap you dont hear anything about the fact that its actually got some good hardware.
You couldn't be more right on this!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

You couldn't be more right on this!
Yeah, you know it's crap if it makes me look elsewhere. I'll put up with the looks if it's at least interesting/different. The last gen STi at least looked mean. This new thing looks like it's meant to appeal to 17 year old girls.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
S2K
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I've been searching ever since, pining for that RAW feeling the Type R gave me. I was waiting on a 135, but decided not to wait any longer.

Just my opinion but the S2000 gave me that RAW feeling, not as raw as running with sand in your shorts though. That is why I will be keeping the S and leasing a 135i for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I guess this is as good a place as any to say HI. I will also be coming from a Suby, an 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5MT to be exact.

Love the car, but with 37500 miles on it, it feels like 80,000, rattles and creaks. the AWD is fun, no getting around it, and I am sure I will miss it during those winter months, and rainy days.

To keep on topic, I really wanted the 335 when it first came out, but frankly I can't afford it, not equipped the way I would want it anyway. I figure worst case scenario I can afford a fully loaded 135i. I guess I will just have to get used to having only 2 doors.
Appreciate 0