BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
DTR
1 day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: The "OTHER" German

just my opinion and imput but the OP one looks more simple basic bolt on, the sketch(no offense to drawer) looks more exaggerated and goes beyond the simple factor. and they also look like larger more extensive pieces.

i think the point is to make simple add ons, if you go for more aggressive flares you might as well do a 1m front end or the ER front end.

some one else pointed out (i think it was ilikebmxbikes) on the other thread HARD MOTORSPORTS flares.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...-flares-coupe/

good luck, i think it would sell, especially for those weekend warriors that want more beef on tires.

ill try to doodle an idea later today.
      11-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135/340/M235/M240/current-M3

so update Forsaken Motorsports is the company, was waiting for them to say its okay to throw name up. They are getting a 1 series in to scan the front, they have the rear from the berk car. Anyone up in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #25
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

well i think that there are two schools on this....one group of people want simple bolt on flares for wider tires for track use and the other want more of the Liberty Walk aggressive/show look.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #26
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
well i think that there are two schools on this....one group of people want simple bolt on flares for wider tires for track use and the other want more of the Liberty Walk aggressive/show look.

Yeah I'd like a simple bolt on so I can run a wider setup. Whats up jason still lurking around I see, any plans on future BMW? NVM just saw
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms

Last edited by Zombie1; 11-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Durp saw the future M2
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1
Quote:

Yeah I'd like a simple bolt on so I can run a wider setup. Whats up jason still lurking around I see, any plans on future BMW? NVM just saw
+1
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #28
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I think the best thing we can do at this point is get as many ideas on paper as possible. I did a few aggressive drawings, and a few that were less aggressive. The more slowly sloping flares seem like they would probably be more resistant to damage in daily driving in addition to looking better. I think the pictures are coming out more exaggerated than I intended.

OP sent me the following link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Body-Fe...p2054897.l4275

I don't think the ten piece kit is a bad idea at all, and I think the lines work as far as how far they extend L to R when looking at a profile. They may be a bit wide, but I think the overall look is something we could shoot for.
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
I honestly think they can be one in the same. I would be thrilled with slightly wider than 1M specs (even 1M Width!), but with a little more build into the flare.

If we could get a replica of the prototype 1M flares I would be THRILLED... If anyone remembers his pic...

And for comparison - factory 1M flares...

2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Last edited by MBM6F; 11-20-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #30
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM6F View Post
I honestly think they can be one in the same. I would be thrilled with slightly wider than 1M specs (even 1M Width!), but with a little more build into the flare.

If we could get a replica of the prototype 1M flares I would be THRILLED... If anyone remembers his pic...

It would be far better if the front and rear were styled like this - more integrated and flush - but without the rear right flare slightly overlapping the fuel flap/door. The flares should also integrated (overlap or mate up) with the side skirts so they don't have to be modified or replaced - unless the flares would be designed to suit 1M side skirts but then that's just extra cost for something that is supposed to be an economical option.

As well as making front flares, it might be a good option to make front guards to suit a 1M bumper - except the front guards shouldn't have the side flutes (air vents) that requires a new washer bottle and should integrate into the existing side skirts. That would be a good option for those who just want to widen the front without having to cut up the rear guards (to fit wider tyres) and fit rear flares.

Also, you probably don't want (functional) air vents on the rear part of the front fenders otherwise road debris will fly out back and damage your door - unless the front flare comes with a fine mesh to fit inside the wheel well that stops the debris.

Will any modifications need to be made to the front bumper? Especially since the front fender will be widened (for extra tyre clearance) where it currently meets the bumper and I would guess that position will now not have enough clearance.

I didn't like the look of those Berk flares - too awkward. And those side skirt mouldings
The sketches looked okay for a first-cut but a bit over-the-top for my tastes. I prefer something more sedate / OEM looking. A genuine 1M conversion is just far too expensive here - even just the front.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #31
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To my knowledge they are designing a few options, then showing us. What will be designed is pretty much a rivet style, although match body lines flare kit front and rear. The buyer can have them blended to remove rivet look or keep rivet look, the flares will be mocked up to your car, stock fenders will be cut and prepped so no rust, flares painted then the flares riveted on front and rear. The plan is no other mods meaning no fabrication of the side skirts etc. Ultimately a more cost effective way instead of paying $5k-$10k on 1M OEM conversion.

One here if made properly the fender flares installed, buying wider rims and tires can be well under $4k (I am estimating, install cost and all depends what wheels you go with, new or used etc.)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #32
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

also noticed another guy on bimmerforums forum is making his own rocket bunny style over this winter, I am not a member of that thread, he is looking at BRZ/FRS kit as well as S2000 and modifying it so we shall see

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-135-Wide-Body
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Based solely off my experience with the ML63 fender flares, we should be able to get this done under the $1500 mark. I'll try and find a link, but we wound up securing part of it that overlapped the bottom of the fender into the wheel well with rivets, and epoxied the part that attached to the fender. Super simple stuff. If we could get the exact style of the 1M prototype I posted for front and back, I think this could be done, and at a very reasonable cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #34
Reapur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Subscribed. This is exactly what the 135i needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #35
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep

anyone know of a way to keep the resin off of the car completely or use wax or something so it doesnt stick to the car? i have a vinyl wrap and dont want to have to peel it and want to work with some fiberglass

plus i wanted to keep up with this post (subscribed)
      11-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #36
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cools20 View Post
anyone know of a way to keep the resin off of the car completely or use wax or something so it doesnt stick to the car? i have a vinyl wrap and dont want to have to peel it and want to work with some fiberglass

plus i wanted to keep up with this post (subscribed)
There are two primary methods of preventing resin from sticking to a mold. 1) mold release wax and 2) PVA. Mold release wax will provide a smooth/glossy finish when the piece is removed from the mold. The downside is that it can be difficult to ensure complete coverage and the resin can sometime adhere to the mold (especially on new molds). PVA is a liquid plastic spayed onto the mold that drys to form a protective coating similar to Saran Wrap. It's generally easier to ensure complete coverage by spaying multiple coats, but the piece removed from the mold may have a dull surface or imperfections that require additional finish work.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #37
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

If the kit had rears like the 1m prototype and fronts very similar... you could count me in on the kit. Especially if price point would be around $1500. I hate on the evos and FRS/brz that have front flares and just stop leaving the back side of the wheel exposed, looks unfinished

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #38
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Does anyone know anything about the kit in this link for an E46?

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=7285

Also, are there any programs or databases with dimensions of different BMW's (or any car) that would allow us to find matching dimensions as a starting point?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #39
OneGearAhead
Rep
n/a
Drives:

If these work for a 128i count me in! OneGearAhead
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #40
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

I contacted a few more companies today to get some input. I'll let you know what progress I make, if any.

Does anyone else have any companies that you suggest I contact? Feel free to DM or email me.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #41
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
There are two primary methods of preventing resin from sticking to a mold. 1) mold release wax and 2) PVA. Mold release wax will provide a smooth/glossy finish when the piece is removed from the mold. The downside is that it can be difficult to ensure complete coverage and the resin can sometime adhere to the mold (especially on new molds). PVA is a liquid plastic spayed onto the mold that drys to form a protective coating similar to Saran Wrap. It's generally easier to ensure complete coverage by spaying multiple coats, but the piece removed from the mold may have a dull surface or imperfections that require additional finish work.
Thanks for the info! much appreciated, but since my wrap is matte will it make it have a gloss finish in that area? And also either of those ways wont harm or loosen up the vinyl?

Last edited by cools20; 11-24-2014 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #42
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

I would imagine that the vinyl will take a bit of a beating. At least be prepared for the possibility.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #43
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I contacted one other local company too
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #44
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Good news

Really encouraging news -

Just heard back from DTM Fiber Werkz. The following was the response I received.

"Hello Matt,

Thanks for the email and interest in our parts. We can make fender flares for the 1 series no problem. All we need is a local customer who can leave the car here for 2-3 weeks so we can design the parts and to make molds. We manufacture and design many parts and also private label for other companies.

We can be reached at 818.341.9903 ask to speak with Ary. He is the production manager.

Thanks,

Sales@DTMFiberWerkz.Com"

Ok, who is local and willing to take one for the team?

I also heard back from Prior Designs and they suggested I reach out to their German HQ... I'll leave that to someone fluent in German.
Appreciate 0