BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Another way to think of the 135 v 335 decision...

The more I come up the learning curve, the more I conclude that the 135i is essentially just a short-wheelbase variant of the 335i. The manufacturing cost difference between a 135 and 335 is trivial/immaterial. The purchase price differences are driven by marketing or to be more precise, merchandising considerations. There are certainly styling differences, 335 is sleek vs 135 is... pugnacious. But under the skin the 135 is a shortened 335, n'est-ce pas?

Statistically speaking, they weigh the same, they have identical drivetrains and suspensions, comparable equipment, very similar prices.

Instead of positioning the car as "entry level" (inviting lots of grousing over how is a $40K car 'affordable'), they could've opted to take a page from the Ferrari playbook and just called it a 335i SWB Coupe! Defined that way, and with the added goodies of sexy brakes and the M-touches, they possibly could've gotten away with charging _more_ not less...

Just thinking out loud here. My very first post, received with polite silence, observed that the stylistic progenitor of the 1 was the Lotus Cortina so I hope I'm still allowed some latitude for free-association!
      02-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Might be the Lotus Cortina, might be the 2002, might even be the e30. I think the message might be the same in all three cases, as was suggested by Jeremy Clarkson in his rave review: "...it has the same non-styling-driven appeal of the early 1980s 323i." For all the fluff and fun in that review, here Jeremy hits what I think has been an important subliminal signal in BMW small sedans for a long time: "We're here to sell engineering substance, not surface style." The 335 is styled. The 135 is un-styled, to look as if it means business. Not, I think, an accident. People who think the 3 is not only too big, but too appealing to the country-club set of BMW drivers, may be lured back into the fold by a car that says, "I like a driver's car." Granted the differences in performance are minimal, the message to the world at large will probably be important to some drivers. To be honest, I suspect that motive has something to do with my choice (SGM, 'ette, ZSP), now waiting for a ship. Shades of my non-styling-driven 2002, 2002tii, e30 and e36 sedans.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
rayrock
Registered
Rep
Drives:

The Cure

Hello, I am doing some comparison shopping on line before partaking in a BMW Drive for The Cure. I am leaning towards 128 convertible for a number of reasons. Optioned the way I like, it runs about ten thousand cheaper, it'll be easier to park in NYC, cheaper to insure. That's the practical side of my brain which usually wins my internal debates. While the 328 is stunning stylistically, the 128 appeals to me in its tighter bodied, 2002/E30 handsome good looks. The tighter dimensions will help in the urban shuffle. The only thing missing on the 128 are four individual round headlights to complete the retro look for me. Can't wait to test drive them one after the other...and do my part in the fight against breast cancer...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

In fairness, the 328i includes xenon lights and power seats which reduces the price differential a bit (if you were planning to order them). But the 328i is about .3" slower to 60 and weighs 300 lbs more while providing only about 6" more footroom for both front and rear passengers. And the 128i acually has more headroom.

After a great 8,000 mile cross country trip, I'm more than satisfied with the performance of my 128i convertible in every respect.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
rayrock
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info. The silver with a red interior is a really nice combo
Appreciate 0