BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #67
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
keep a blow dryer and a power converter in your car. blow dry the window while the car is warming up.

I just plan on driving to work with the door partially open for the first 5 mins.
Yes that will work too, but I didn't want to stand there in the -30 weather and maybe snowing... but I do agree it might work...

I also thought of a heat gun... bad idea, might melt something, plus when one wakes up we tend to not focus too well. Better make is Id10t proof!

Or instead of timing it, just leave the door or trunk slightly open and plug in the space heater. Hmmm maybe that is the way to go... I won't plug it in just pop out my skibag hole, and run it that way!

I won't run it on full heat either.

EspressoBoy
      12-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #68
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #69
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I watched a dumb roommate do this, it was not pretty, it was funny for me, but not for him cracking his window
I read a story like that on a car forum somewhere (don't think it was here). Some guy who lived in Florida's gf freaked out when they had a frost (I think first frost she had ever seen) and she didn't know what to do to get the ice off her windshield so she boiled a pot of water and poured in on the winshield and... CRACK! I think he had to go leave work to take care of her...
      12-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #70
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
ok

OH, SNAP!

You may find coupes without window frames, but window frames have NOTHING to do with whether the car is considered a 'coupe' or a 'sedan', it's all about body style/door config. You NEVER hear of a "2-door sedan" or a "4-door coupe", and if you do, whoever is saying it is doing so incorrectly. It's not about what some freakin dictionary says, it what has been socially accepted.

Honda, Ford, and BMW all list their 2-door models as coupes while the 4-door version of that same model as sedans. Same car, different configuration.

BMWUSA declares the 128i and 135i to be COUPES, that should be end of discussion.

...check your facts, Lester!:smile:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #71
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

the Mercedes CLS is marketed as a 4 door coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #72
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

considered a 4 door coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #73
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnwhite96 View Post
the Mercedes CLS is marketed as a 4 door coupe

They're owned by Chrysler, they don't count.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #74
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

God Damn, I've wasted a lot of time on this thread!!!

If Mercedes, et al, want to call a 4-door car a coupe, fuck'em.

They're still wrong.

:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #75
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23 View Post
They're owned by Chrysler, they don't count.
Not any more - MB divested themselves of Chrysler about a year and a half ago. It was the other way around, MB bought Chrysler.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #76
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
OH, SNAP!

You may find coupes without window frames, but window frames have NOTHING to do with whether the car is considered a 'coupe' or a 'sedan', it's all about body style/door config. You NEVER hear of a "2-door sedan" or a "4-door coupe", and if you do, whoever is saying it is doing so incorrectly. It's not about what some freakin dictionary says, it what has been socially accepted.

Honda, Ford, and BMW all list their 2-door models as coupes while the 4-door version of that same model as sedans. Same car, different configuration.

BMWUSA declares the 128i and 135i to be COUPES, that should be end of discussion.

...check your facts, Lester!:smile:
Ok.... here they are - from the highest authority....Wikepedia:

A sedan car (American English; saloon in British English) is one of the most common body styles of the modern automobile. At its most basic, the sedan is a passenger car with two rows of seats and adequate passenger space in the rear compartment for adult passengers. The vehicle usually has a separate rear trunk (boot in British English) for luggage, although some manufacturers such as Chevrolet, Tatra, and Volkswagen made rear-engined sedans.

Types of sedans
Several versions of the body style exist, including four-door, two-door, and fastback models.
A sedan seats four or more people and has a fixed roof that is full-height up to the rear window. The roof structure will typically have a fixed "B" pillar on sedan models. Most commonly it is a four-door; two-door models are rare, but they do occur (more so historically). In the U.S., the term sedan has been used to denote a car with fixed window frames, as opposed to the hardtop style without a "B" pillar and where the sash, if any, winds down with the glass. However, true hardtops have become increasingly rare.

Notchback sedans

A notchback sedan is a three-box sedan, where the passenger volume is clearly distinct from the trunk volume of the vehicle (when seen from the side). The roof is on one plane, generally parallel to the ground, the rear window at a sharp angle to the roof, and the trunk lid is also parallel to the ground. Historically, this has been a popular and arguably the most traditional form of passenger vehicle.

Fastback sedans

2004 Audi A6 passenger compartment line blends into trunk

A fastback sedan is a two-box sedan, with continuous slope from the roof to the base of the decklid, but excludes the hatchback feature.
Marketing terminology is often misleading in this area - for example, Daimler AG calls the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class sedan a four-door coupé because of its semi-fastback design tries to give the impression of a coupé. Certain sedans are edging close to being one-box vehicles, where the windshield is steeply raked from the hood and the rear window slopes toward almost the end of the car, leaving just a short rear deck that is part of the trunk lid - the 2006 4-door Honda Civic is an example of this. They are not fastbacks because their bodyline changes from the roof to the rear deck. Their steeply raked rear windows end with a decklid that does not continue down to the bumper. Instead, their rear ends are tall - sometimes in a Kammback style - to increase trunk space.
Typically this design is chosen for its aerodynamic advantages. Automakers can no longer afford the penalty in fuel consumption produced by the traditional notchback three box form.

Two-door sedan

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo two-door sedan has B-pillar concealed behind side window's darkened leading edge

The Society of Automotive Engineers defines such a vehicle as any two-door model with rear accommodation greater than or equal to 33 cubic feet (0.93 m³) in volume (a calculation made by adding the legroom, shoulder room, and headroom).[citation needed] By this standard, the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class coupés are all two-door sedans. Only a few sources, however (including the magazine Car and Driver), use the two-door sedan label in this manner.
In the popular vernacular, a two-door sedan is defined by appearance and not by volume; vehicles with a B-pillar between the front and rear windows are generally called two-door sedans, while hardtops (without the pillar, and often incorporating a sloping backlight) are called coupés.
The Mazda RX-8 meets the volume requirement to be called a sedan, but it has vestigial rear-hinged rear doors, so some call it 2+2-door sedan. Another term for a coupé endowed with rear-hinged doors is a "quad coupé." Although this may simply be vernacular, based on a possible copyright by General Motors, for its Saturn Ion Quad-Coupe.

Hardtop sedans

See main article: hardtop
1958 AMC Ambassador hardtop sedan.

In historic terminology a sedan will have a frame around the door windows, while the hardtop has frameless door glass. A true hardtop sedan design also has no "B" pillar (the roof support behind the front doors). This body style has an open feel, but requires extra underbody strengthening for structural rigidity. The hardtop design can be considered separately (i.e., a vehicle can be simply called a four-door hardtop), or it can be called a hardtop sedan. During the 1960s and 1970s, hardtop sedans were often sold as sport sedans by American manufacturers and were among the top selling body styles. During the 1980s, automakers in the U.S. focused on removing weight and increasing strength, and their new four-door sedans with B-pillars were called pillared hardtops or pillared sedans. The sport sedan term has since been appropriated for other uses. In Japan, and among Japanese manufacturers worldwide, the hardtop design was popular among luxury sedans throughout the 1990s.

Hatchback sedan

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Hatchback (a.k.a. liftback) sedans typically have the fastback profile, but instead of a trunk lid, the entire back of the vehicle lifts up (using a liftgate or hatch). A vehicle with four passenger doors and a liftgate at the rear can be called a four-door hatchback, four-door hatchback sedan, or five-door sedan. An example of such is the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx. There can also be two-door hatchback sedans (three-door sedans), by the same technical explanation for two-door sedans. Examples of this design are the Volkswagen Golf, and Renault Vel Satis.

Chauffeured sedans

The Lincoln Town Car is used as a chauffeured car in the U.S.

Main article: Limousine
Chauffeured limousine sedans are primarily used by businesses for meetings as well as for airport transportation. Main vehicles used for these means are usually the Lincoln Town Car, a Cadillac, or a Mercedes. Chauffeurs are professional drivers, usually with experience in the transportation industry or tourism industry. Chauffeured sedans are owned either by private owners, livery services, or corporations. Large corporations as well as governments commonly provide luxury sedans to their top executives as well as VIP guests. Chauffeured sedans, such as the Lincoln Town Car, may also be stretched into limousines that are capable of seating up to twenty people. Another, smaller number of chauffeured sedans are owned by private individuals who hire chauffeurs to drive them in their own cars.

....Your honor, the defense rests

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #77
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Trying to take back this thread... yes it was about frozen windows on our Coupe....

I woke up to 7 cm...whats that for ppl in usa? oh yes 7 feet (Squeak has small feet ok) of snow... So I plugged in a small space heater in the trunk (boot for UK etc) with the seats down, ran the extension power cord to the house. I just jently shut the trunk (boot) and started to shovel.

Well after about 45 min (I can fit 7 cars (& 1 sleigh for Santa) in my driveway ok) I finished and the car was nice and toasty... Windows all nice and melted..

Happy ending!

But for those who want my technique...
A couple of safety points.... Read everything before you try this yourself...

1. Don't put the heater on too high, you don't want to melt the tires/tyres (do you really spell tires with a...y? cool!)
2. Remember it's plugged in so when you drive away make sure your extension will reach to where you are driving.
3. If you are going to sue me, my phone number is 416 967 1111 ask for Santa. They will know who I am.
4. Ok I need espressooo oh boy... I gotta delete this...

EspressoBoy

Yoda looks worried... maybe I upped the meds a bit too much?
      12-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #78
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Ok.... here they are - from the highest authority....Wikepedia:

A sedan car (American English; saloon in British English) is one of the most common body styles of the modern automobile. At its most basic, the sedan is a passenger car with two rows of seats and adequate passenger space in the rear compartment for adult passengers. The vehicle usually has a separate rear trunk (boot in British English) for luggage, although some manufacturers such as Chevrolet, Tatra, and Volkswagen made rear-engined sedans.

Types of sedans
Several versions of the body style exist, including four-door, two-door, and fastback models.
A sedan seats four or more people and has a fixed roof that is full-height up to the rear window. The roof structure will typically have a fixed "B" pillar on sedan models. Most commonly it is a four-door; two-door models are rare, but they do occur (more so historically). In the U.S., the term sedan has been used to denote a car with fixed window frames, as opposed to the hardtop style without a "B" pillar and where the sash, if any, winds down with the glass. However, true hardtops have become increasingly rare.

Notchback sedans

A notchback sedan is a three-box sedan, where the passenger volume is clearly distinct from the trunk volume of the vehicle (when seen from the side). The roof is on one plane, generally parallel to the ground, the rear window at a sharp angle to the roof, and the trunk lid is also parallel to the ground. Historically, this has been a popular and arguably the most traditional form of passenger vehicle.

Fastback sedans

2004 Audi A6 passenger compartment line blends into trunk

A fastback sedan is a two-box sedan, with continuous slope from the roof to the base of the decklid, but excludes the hatchback feature.
Marketing terminology is often misleading in this area - for example, Daimler AG calls the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class sedan a four-door coupé because of its semi-fastback design tries to give the impression of a coupé. Certain sedans are edging close to being one-box vehicles, where the windshield is steeply raked from the hood and the rear window slopes toward almost the end of the car, leaving just a short rear deck that is part of the trunk lid - the 2006 4-door Honda Civic is an example of this. They are not fastbacks because their bodyline changes from the roof to the rear deck. Their steeply raked rear windows end with a decklid that does not continue down to the bumper. Instead, their rear ends are tall - sometimes in a Kammback style - to increase trunk space.
Typically this design is chosen for its aerodynamic advantages. Automakers can no longer afford the penalty in fuel consumption produced by the traditional notchback three box form.

Two-door sedan

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo two-door sedan has B-pillar concealed behind side window's darkened leading edge

The Society of Automotive Engineers defines such a vehicle as any two-door model with rear accommodation greater than or equal to 33 cubic feet (0.93 m³) in volume (a calculation made by adding the legroom, shoulder room, and headroom).[citation needed] By this standard, the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class coupés are all two-door sedans. Only a few sources, however (including the magazine Car and Driver), use the two-door sedan label in this manner.
In the popular vernacular, a two-door sedan is defined by appearance and not by volume; vehicles with a B-pillar between the front and rear windows are generally called two-door sedans, while hardtops (without the pillar, and often incorporating a sloping backlight) are called coupés.
The Mazda RX-8 meets the volume requirement to be called a sedan, but it has vestigial rear-hinged rear doors, so some call it 2+2-door sedan. Another term for a coupé endowed with rear-hinged doors is a "quad coupé." Although this may simply be vernacular, based on a possible copyright by General Motors, for its Saturn Ion Quad-Coupe.

Hardtop sedans

See main article: hardtop
1958 AMC Ambassador hardtop sedan.

In historic terminology a sedan will have a frame around the door windows, while the hardtop has frameless door glass. A true hardtop sedan design also has no "B" pillar (the roof support behind the front doors). This body style has an open feel, but requires extra underbody strengthening for structural rigidity. The hardtop design can be considered separately (i.e., a vehicle can be simply called a four-door hardtop), or it can be called a hardtop sedan. During the 1960s and 1970s, hardtop sedans were often sold as sport sedans by American manufacturers and were among the top selling body styles. During the 1980s, automakers in the U.S. focused on removing weight and increasing strength, and their new four-door sedans with B-pillars were called pillared hardtops or pillared sedans. The sport sedan term has since been appropriated for other uses. In Japan, and among Japanese manufacturers worldwide, the hardtop design was popular among luxury sedans throughout the 1990s.

Hatchback sedan

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Hatchback (a.k.a. liftback) sedans typically have the fastback profile, but instead of a trunk lid, the entire back of the vehicle lifts up (using a liftgate or hatch). A vehicle with four passenger doors and a liftgate at the rear can be called a four-door hatchback, four-door hatchback sedan, or five-door sedan. An example of such is the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx. There can also be two-door hatchback sedans (three-door sedans), by the same technical explanation for two-door sedans. Examples of this design are the Volkswagen Golf, and Renault Vel Satis.

Chauffeured sedans

The Lincoln Town Car is used as a chauffeured car in the U.S.

Main article: Limousine
Chauffeured limousine sedans are primarily used by businesses for meetings as well as for airport transportation. Main vehicles used for these means are usually the Lincoln Town Car, a Cadillac, or a Mercedes. Chauffeurs are professional drivers, usually with experience in the transportation industry or tourism industry. Chauffeured sedans are owned either by private owners, livery services, or corporations. Large corporations as well as governments commonly provide luxury sedans to their top executives as well as VIP guests. Chauffeured sedans, such as the Lincoln Town Car, may also be stretched into limousines that are capable of seating up to twenty people. Another, smaller number of chauffeured sedans are owned by private individuals who hire chauffeurs to drive them in their own cars.

....Your honor, the defense rests
I hope your joking...Wikipedia is not a credible source. Nice try though
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #79
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I hope your joking...Wikipedia is not a credible source. Nice try though
no but wikipedia 9 times out of 10 uses qualified sources that are more reliable than you
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #80
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

This has been the best dual-thread post ever. BTW - my E21, was built and sold as a 2-Door Saloon (or Sedan).

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #81
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
This has been the best dual-thread post ever. BTW - my E21, was built and sold as a 2-Door Saloon (or Sedan).
Is it called saloon because it gets more people to the saloon faster, or because it comes with a keg in the trunk? :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #82
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
Is it called saloon because it gets more people to the saloon faster, or because it comes with a keg in the trunk? :biggrin:
As George Bernard Shaw once said of the Americans and English, "Two great people separated by their common language." :wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #83
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
no but wikipedia 9 times out of 10 uses qualified sources that are more reliable than you
And the 10th time???
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #84
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
HAHA!

Quote:
And the 10th time???
more than likely is not you mainly because ur not a expert in the subject so your OPINON does not matter :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #85
jimswanson
Rep
Drives:

Yep... big problem

Yep... it happened to me a couple a weeks ago. Noticed the wind howeling through the gap where the window didn't seal. Had a heck of a time to get the door closed correctly without the automatic window drop working. Had problem on both front windows bit passenger side cleared up eventually. Unfortunitly, drivers window never started working. Have warmed up car and even had warmer weather... still not working. The window is now completely dead! I called the dealer and they said I need to bring it in for service. :-( this is a 70 mile drive on way.

Not sure if this is another BMW feature but I also noticed today I have a crack in the drivers mirror. I know I did not do this as I have NEVR touched it. After all, it is a heated mirror. Can't wait to see what BMW has to say about this!!! Service department said they would check it out but they may need to replace entire mirror assemble. How much do you think that might be??

I love this car but with 500 miles on it... too many problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #86
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
Yes, but why do I get the feeling that Lester wrote that Wikipedia article himself mere minutes before posting.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #87
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post

But for those who want my technique...
A couple of safety points.... Read everything before you try this yourself...

1. Don't put the heater on too high, you don't want to melt the tires/tyres (do you really spell tires with a...y? cool!)
2. Remember it's plugged in so when you drive away make sure your extension will reach to where you are driving.
3. If you are going to sue me, my phone number is 416 967 1111 ask for Santa. They will know who I am.
4. Ok I need espressooo oh boy... I gotta delete this...

EspressoBoy

Yoda looks worried... maybe I upped the meds a bit too much?
I tried calling.....but the person on the phone keeps asking what kind of pizza I want!

I used to date girls who used that one....lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #88
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wasn't this a frozen window thread?

:iono:

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0