BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep
Drives: 435i

ED Vacation Suggestions/Advice

Before I get into my question, I want to thank everyone on this forum. The information that everyone shares is incredible. I have been to other forums related to other topics and there are always a few "not so intelligent people" that spoil things for everyone else. I have not come across a single post or comment from someone like that here on 1addicts.com and I have been on the site nearly everyday for a month now. When I first came to 1addicts.com, I was leaning toward getting a 135i. After reading through the forums, I am totally sold on the 135i. Thank you all.

Now on to my question. I am looking for some help planning my Euro Delivery trip. I am planning on ordering a 135i in order to time it with a European vacation for next spring. I wish I was a bit quicker in my decision and ordered in time to take my vacation this summer but, oh well. At least I will manage to get the new navigation system.

I expect to be in Munich in mid to late spring of 2009 right around my birthday and what a birthday it will be. I am thinking of spending 10-14 days in Europe. I haven't been to Europe since I was 5 years old with my parents so it will basically be a completely new experience for me.

Here is my very tentative itinerary:
Munich to Zurich (Autobahn)
Zurich to Milan (Alps)
Milan to Genova
Genova to Monte Carlo/Nice
Monte Carlo/Nice to Cannes
Cannes to Marseille
Marseille back to the drop off location in Nice

I'm assuming the Lufthansa 2 for 1 will allow me to fly back home from Nice or near any of the other drop off locations. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would love to add a stop in Barcelona on the end but there is no drop off location in Barcelona. I would either have to go to Madrid which is about another 300 miles away or all the way back to Nice. I'm pretty sure by this point my wife will be tired of driving. I really doubt I will though.

So I'm looking for advice. I have been to the ED BMW Forums and BimmerFest's ED Wiki and found some valuable information there but I am looking for more. I am sure that there are a several of you that have done European Delivery before. Do you have recommendations for where to stay? Nothing in my itinerary is set in stone. I have always thought the south of France would be a cool place to spend a vacation but I am open to suggestions. Is there a city/town/village that you think is a must stop that I am overlooking? Are there any places that I should avoid? Any other pieces of information that you can provide would be great.

Once again, thank you all so very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Be sure to double check your routes with the Michelin planner, especially distance and time. How much time do you want to spend driving vs. sightseeing/relaxing. Also I'd wait until May. Weather can be quite unpredictable any time in Europe but I have seen freak snowstorms as late as April. Enjoy.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...?redirect=true
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Agreed on the weather thoughts, especially thru the Alps.

As far as where to stay, and what to see, you'd have to give a little more info on how long you would like to stay. If you want to stay in Munich, take the factory tour, take some time to see downtown, and the standard Tourist choice is to go to Hofbrauhaus, if that's your kind of deal. Theres a lot to see in Munich alone. What are you interested in also? Tourist locations, local food, historicaly significant locations, art or the like will help us give you some locations and feedback. The driving route you chose should be amazing, so I'd stick to that. Good choice on not dropping it in Italy, as they still drive your car back to Munich, instead of Trucking it like everywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'm actually planning a European Delivery trip around the same time. We were originally thinking March, but I think now we'll be pushing it back to April or perhaps May (although I don't want to wait too long!)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Rossmar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Looks like you're all over the cities, if you want a good European/cultural experience stop in the small towns, i recommend anything along Lake Como, Lake Maggiore (although you can't miss it!) and of course Portofino, and Aix-en-Provence in France.

If you really have the time, stop in Venice. Since it was my home for three months, I have to recommend it!
      08-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions -- I'm actually planning a European Delivery trip around the same time. We were originally thinking March, but I think now we'll be pushing it back to April or perhaps May (although I don't want to wait too long!)
I'm thinking I might have to push my trip back as far as early June just for the sake of the weather. The last thing that I want is for bad weather to spoil it. Besides that, June will make spending time at the beach all that much more enjoyable. The hardest part is going to be waiting.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

I am glad you are making the trip, thoughts...the negs first, SGM will not be available on 09's but hey dont despair, there are other figments to choose from. Your iten. is almost similar to mine. I will give you more after i am done with my ED. I am now giving you this because the thread might get embedded and i will forget about it (senior moments!!LOL) The michelin guide is good,there are differences against google but google earth is now awesome..you can semi-visualize your road trips. Stay away from Milan-thats what folks are telling-traffic,congestion,parking difficulties.Dont forget to get international drivers Lic., get it at AAA. Dont forget to purchase vignette passes for the countries you will cross or visit that has freeways. You can get them at gas stations. If you have company (more than 2). A lot of apartment rentals are cheaper than hotels. If dinero es no problemo, some hotels charges parking. There's one thing i havent figure out, the car wash at Nice (Could someone help? maybe some folks know this?) . Search for the photo of the delivery spot in Nice, close to the airport but not really close, its a small joint. Maybe you could swing by Portofino-also beautiful scenery! You can fly cheaply from Geneva to Barcelona-try Easyjets, there are flights from Nice to Barcelona but either $$$ or wee hours. I hope they will extend 2-1 Lufthansa.most likely yes.Open jaw on Lufthansa gives you 1 domestic in and one domestic out. Oki doki, i will add more when i remember something important. Ahhhh...why? no RING??? or the twisties at Paso d'Stelvio?, i can say meccas for driving?
      08-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossmar View Post
Looks like you're all over the cities, if you want a good European/cultural experience stop in the small towns, i recommend anything along Lake Como, Lake Maggiore (although you can't miss it!) and of course Portofino, and Aix-en-Provence in France.

If you really have the time, stop in Venice. Since it was my home for three months, I have to recommend it!
I will definitely be stopping at several of the villages along the route. Lake Como is very high on my list of places I want to see. But most likely I will be staying over night in the cities. I like the familiarity and convenience of the big cities.

Anyone have any hotel recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
I am glad you are making the trip, thoughts...the negs first, SGM will not be available on 09's but hey dont despair, there are other figments to choose from. Your iten. is almost similar to mine. I will give you more after i am done with my ED. I am now giving you this because the thread might get embedded and i will forget about it (senior moments!!LOL) The michelin guide is good,there are differences against google but google earth is now awesome..you can semi-visualize your road trips. Stay away from Milan-thats what folks are telling-traffic,congestion,parking difficulties.Dont forget to get international drivers Lic., get it at AAA. Dont forget to purchase vignette passes for the countries you will cross or visit that has freeways. You can get them at gas stations. If you have company (more than 2). A lot of apartment rentals are cheaper than hotels. If dinero es no problemo, some hotels charges parking. There's one thing i havent figure out, the car wash at Nice (Could someone help? maybe some folks know this?) . Search for the photo of the delivery spot in Nice, close to the airport but not really close, its a small joint. Maybe you could swing by Portofino-also beautiful scenery! You can fly cheaply from Geneva to Barcelona-try Easyjets, there are flights from Nice to Barcelona but either $$$ or wee hours. I hope they will extend 2-1 Lufthansa.most likely yes.Open jaw on Lufthansa gives you 1 domestic in and one domestic out. Oki doki, i will add more when i remember something important. Ahhhh...why? no RING??? or the twisties at Paso d'Stelvio?, i can say meccas for driving?
I heard that SGM won't be available for the 2009 model year but I am sure something similar will be.

I'm not too worried about the route as I will be ordering my car with the new navigation system for 2009 which will have the maps for Europe preloaded.

My wife really wants to go to Milan otherwise I might have skipped it. It will also be a good mid point in between Switzerland and the Mediterranean. I did hear that its where all the supermodels hang out so might not be so bad.

I'll have to talk to a representative from Lufthansa to work out the details on the flights.

No Paso d'Stelvio or Nürburgring for 2 reasons. 1.) There's the whole breaking in the car issue. Some say break it in hard. Some say break it in gently. I am going to go with what the manual recommends. RPM below 4500 and speed below 100mph. I am sure I will break that 100mph limit on the Autobahn though. 2.) My wife is barely going to be able to handle the Autobahn. There is no way she would make it through a lap around the Ring.

Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Rossmar
Private
United_States
Rep

You're likely to drive much faster on the Autostrade (in Italy) than the Autobahn. One of my fondest memories is flying down the A27 at 100 mph - in a bus.

Just if you're going to Italy, be prepared to ignore the manual and drive like everyone else. Officially, the speed limit on the Autostrada is 130 km/h, unofficially, everyone drives 150-160 km/h - so much so there's legislation to have the speed limit changed to 150.
      08-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

This place on Lake Como was mentioned by several ED bloggers. Check out the pics on the lower right hand side.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Lombardy.html
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

IMO bavaria and the alps are amazing, however my favorite place was slovenia in the istrian region. There are amazing driving tours you can take all around bavaria, theres a great book for it, i would be able to find a link to it probably if you wanted it. northern italy is also beautiful i believe, try to get off the autobahn as much as possible though. going 100 mph is fun but curvy country roads are where its at!!!! also one other piece of advice is to break up your time in the alps with a little coastal time; mountains get old real quick!!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Put some detailer and a couple of microfiber towels in your checked luggage for cleanups.
If you do not get the nav system, beg borrow or steal a Garmin.
You can rent the European maps from fellow forum member "ADC".
I would not drop my car in Italy. No way. No how.
Take umbrellas and rain coats and a small backpack to carry everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Supermodels in Milan? , i am going there then!!!....now i have realized ive been had!!! So its just a trick to let me stay away from Milan!! Ha ha ha. I know your spouse wanted to go there 'mate...lots of goodies (shopping) but you can always say, traffic in milan sucks,parking sucks yatty yah. then you get some savings!
      08-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerDreamer View Post
I'm thinking I might have to push my trip back as far as early June just for the sake of the weather. The last thing that I want is for bad weather to spoil it. Besides that, June will make spending time at the beach all that much more enjoyable. The hardest part is going to be waiting.
Weather is a little less worrisome for me -- we're going to visit my brother in law, who's currently living in London, so I'm more or less expecting bad weather the whole time we're in the UK. We'll probably spend a week in London and a week in Germany to pick up the Bimmer and cruise around a little, and maybe do a lap on the Nurburgring if we have time.

We're thinking about mostly staying in Bavaria and touring the Romantic Road -- anyone have any advice on that?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
Supermodels in Milan? , i am going there then!!!....now i have realized ive been had!!! So its just a trick to let me stay away from Milan!! Ha ha ha. I know your spouse wanted to go there 'mate...lots of goodies (shopping) but you can always say, traffic in milan sucks,parking sucks yatty yah. then you get some savings!
From what I have heard, Milan is known as the fashion capital of the world and as such, it's loaded with supermodels. I'm pretty sure it will cost me but it's a once in a lifetime deal so I might as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
This place on Lake Como was mentioned by several ED bloggers. Check out the pics on the lower right hand side.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Lombardy.html
Thanks Ulrich. When my wife saw the photos she really got excited. We will definitely be spending some time at Lake Como. This hotel looks really nice and would be at the top of my list of places to stay.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #18
Rossmar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerDreamer View Post
From what I have heard, Milan is known as the fashion capital of the world and as such, it's loaded with supermodels. I'm pretty sure it will cost me but it's a once in a lifetime deal so I might as well.
Milan is amazing, but as far as supermodels, isn't to far off from New York, Hollywood or Miami Beach: and it's not like they speak English there either.
      08-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Germans don't go to the beach. They go to lake Como. They stagger the school vacations because they will not all fit at the same time. It is very crowded. Lots of traffic.
We stayed one night at a B&B in Naggio. Its a tiny village up on a hill overlooking the lake. Incredible view.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Anyone have any suggestions for where to go, what to do in Southern France?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

I've really been thinking about this trip the past couple of days and I've got a couple of questions to ask.

Gas/Petrol: Does BMW give you a full tank of gas when you pick your car at the Welt? I know gas is going to be much more expensive in Europe. How much is it costing nowadays? Do most gas stations let you pay by credit card at the pump like in the states?

Motorails: While I intend on driving quite a bit when I am in Europe, I don't want to spend my whole vacation in the car. Someone told me you can load your car on a train and have a sleeper car. Load the car on the train in say Paris for example, spend the night on the train and wake up on the French Riviera. This would be a nice option if it exists. I would allow me to save on the cost of gas, hotel for a night, tolls, and give me more time to enjoy the sights. Does anyone have any information on this? Good idea or bad idea?

Lufthansa 2 for 1: I have heard many people say that this may not be such a great deal because Lufthansa jacks up the price of the first ticket and that you might be able to 2 tickets for less on your own. If I do use the Lufthansa discount, do I have to fly in and out of the same airport? What other airports with BMW drop off points nearby does Lufthansa fly out of?

Cash: Do I need to carry cash with me or can I get by using my credit card most places? Would I get a better exchange rate with my credit card or should I rely on ATM machines? Are ATM machines hard to find in Europe? Are they in English?

Language: I don't any German or Italian and I only know how to say curse words on French. I'll do my best to learn some phrases and carry a phrase book with me. Is English fairly commonly spoke throughout Europe? I've been to Mexico and nearly everyone there spoke some English.

Mobile Phone: Can I get a pre-paid SIM card for phone so I at least have some form of communication? My phone is unlocked so it should work with any GSM carrier.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Since the move to Welt, you don't get a full tank of gas anymore. You get ~1/4 tank and a map with nearby fuel stations. Credit card is OK. Some stations have pay at the pump, some don't. Not a big deal to walk inside the convenience store and pay. Be aware that in some areas these fuel station/stores do not open Sunday.

Look in bahn.de for train info. I looked into it before and thought they were costly, but it may work for you. Trains I think are usually limited to summer travel months.
Appreciate 0