BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Please help:(

Please help me! I have this horrible knocking noise whenever I accelerate in my bmw in drive sport. Here is the video of my car and how it sounds can someone please help me I really hope it's not rod bearings it's 2011 and only has 55k miles

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Sounds like a bearing to me.

Drop the oil and see how much metal is in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Driving it any more could cause serious damage. A noise like that is not to be ignored. Have a BMW shop look at it. It will only get more expensive later.

There are some threads posted on this forum that discuss being able to change bearings without taking the engine out, but not something most people would try in their garage at home.

Last edited by Lester; 01-06-2021 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

This is a great video to watch:

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Driving it any more could cause serious damage. A noise like that is not to be ignored. Have a BMW shop look at it. It will only get more expensive later.

There are some threads posted on this forum that discuss being able to change bearings without taking the engine out, but not something most people would try in their garage at home.
Engine broke down on me today. Smh so sad
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Sorry to hear that. How long had this been going on?

Was the car driven hard? Had it had regular oil changes (once per year)?

Keep us posted with what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. How long had this been going on?

Was the car driven hard? Had it had regular oil changes (once per year)?

Keep us posted with what you find out.
This as been going on as soon as I got my value cover gasket replaced. I left the shop had the car in sport and heard the knocking when I accelerated. This was for about a month until today it shut on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemBash View Post
This as been going on as soon as I got my value cover gasket replaced. I left the shop had the car in sport and heard the knocking when I accelerated. This was for about a month until today it shut on me.
Why on earth did you not turn around and go right back to the shop and complain??
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 2
Esteban43818.50
JemBash33.00
      01-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

How long did it take the shop to do the valve cover gasket? If they had the car for more than a day, they cod have done anything to it, even swapping out your relatively low mileage engine for one with bad bearings. BMW should have the engine serial number on record for your car.

If you dont trust the shop that did the valve cover gasket, have it towed to another shop and they would be able to tell you if the engine had been swapped without your knowledge. 55k miles is pretty low for bearings to be gone, unless it had been poorly serviced or driven very hard.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      01-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How long did it take the shop to do the valve cover gasket? If they had the car for more than a day, they cod have done anything to it, even swapping out your relatively low mileage engine for one with bad bearings. BMW should have the engine serial number on record for your car.

If you dont trust the shop that did the valve cover gasket, have it towed to another shop and they would be able to tell you if the engine had been swapped without your knowledge. 55k miles is pretty low for bearings to be gone, unless it had been poorly serviced or driven very hard.
Wow that is a smart idea man. The value cover gasket took about 3/4 days. You think they could of swapped my engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
BikeNHV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i, F-350, Cooper SE

Was this a shop that knows BMWs and is reputable?

Swapping the engine could be extreme, but 3-4 days is a long time for a valve cover gasket. Maybe a case of not knowing the procedure.
A nearby dealer that always has a packed service department did my valve cover gasket + some other work in one afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNHV View Post
Was this a shop that knows BMWs and is reputable?

Swapping the engine could be extreme, but 3-4 days is a long time for a valve cover gasket. Maybe a case of not knowing the procedure.
A nearby dealer that always has a packed service department did my valve cover gasket + some other work in one afternoon.
12 volt doctor, Staten Island, New York. They supposedly know but upsetting after this happen I'm shock. My engine shut on me today
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Wow that is a smart idea man. The value cover gasket took about 3/4 days. You think they could of swapped my engine?
3 days is ridiculous, 4 days is even more so. That is plenty of time for them to have done an engine swap. Remember, we are being hypothetical here. It could just be that the shop was busy and yours wasnt first on the list. Maybe somebody had the flu or took a long weekend to go fishing.

There is no way you should have had the bottom end making noises it wasn't making before you took it in.

In any event, another shop you trust would be able to give you a good idea. An engine swap would show evidence, wrench marks, things newly tightened, rust cleaned off etc.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
3 days is ridiculous, 4 days is even more so. That is plenty of time for them to have done an engine swap. Remember, we are being hypothetical here. It could just be that the shop was busy and yours wasnt first on the list. Maybe somebody had the flu or took a long weekend to go fishing.

There is no way you should have had the bottom end making noises it wasn't making before you took it in.

In any event, another shop you trust would be able to give you a good idea. An engine swap would show evidence, wrench marks, things newly tightened, rust cleaned off etc.

Keep us posted.
Thank you msn I will see if my engine was swapped I will keep you posted I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
12 volt doctor, Staten Island, New York. They supposedly know but upsetting after this happen I'm shock. My engine shut on me today
Their website indicates that 12 Volt Doctor, Staten Island have been around since 1975 and work on foreign and exotic cars. I haven't found any bad press or reviews. They are not a member of BBB.

In my experience, boutique shops like this stand behind their reputation with their customers.

One of the things that is normally done, after service work such as you had done, is a test drive. The technician who did the work takes it for a spin just to make sure it is performing ok. I'm surprised that the shop would not have noticed an engine knock and told you about it. Either as a professional courtesy, or to encourage additional business, or both.

Were there inspection notes on your service receipt? Did they discuss any concerns they might have had with your vehicle? Did they explain why it took 3 or 4 days to do the 4-6 hours or so of shop work to replace the valve cover?

These are all questions that come to mind regarding your experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport

I've heard a couple of rods knocking in my life. My best description is a couple of big ball bearing being shaken around in coffee can. You'll recognize the very metallic sound.

What I heard from your video doesn't sound like a rod knock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Regarding the 3 - 4 day thing, there may have been an extra part needing to be ordered, a plug or something, that took time to get in. I'd think they'd update you on what and why but perhaps not.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #18
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

FWIW when I still had my 128 it was at the BMW dealership for about 3/4 days, it was for the valve cover gasket and passenger window regulator though.

Should have taken it back the second you drove away and heard a noise, almost curious if it could be from the eccentric shaft sensor malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #19
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
almost curious if it could be from the eccentric shaft sensor malfunctioning.
I'd say no, that noise is before the car starts. It happens when you first open the door before the key even goes in. If it's frozen the motor makes a rattling sound trying to get moving. By the time the car has started it's given up and doesn't try again until next time.

(That's close to it anyhow)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #20
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'd say no, that noise is before the car starts. It happens when you first open the door before the key even goes in. If it's frozen the motor makes a rattling sound trying to get moving. By the time the car has started it's given up and doesn't try again until next time.

(That's close to it anyhow)
Ah okay. Appreciate the explanation. I recall seeing a thread years back about shifting / engine issues for someone that was from that sensor, guess the symptoms are quite different from OP.
Appreciate 0