BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #45
haglem
Rep
Drives: 09 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ135 View Post
if you have a brain youd get a 135
that was just a stupid thing to say
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #46
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
Yes, N54 is much, much more powerfull stock engine.

But N52 requires a bit of smart parts swap (intake-downpipe decat-straight tube catback) plus software genius with pretty basic hardware to reach N52's full atmo potential (doing ~300hp/350Nm) what is in reality close to stock 135 (well still 135 will have slight edge in straight comparison), but overall feeling of non-turbo engine is more than great compensation for that.

Of course N54 can push much further with software manipulation, but turbo engine character and lack of reliability should be taken into account.
For 1er with lot of character I would take 125/128i + mentioned tuning over stock 135i any day of the week.
I'm literally LOL'ing over here.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #47
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
I'm literally LOL'ing over here.
And I enjoy driving non-turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #48
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglem View Post
that was just a stupid thing to say
stupid because it's such an obvious statement? you guys need to check yourselves into a mental hospital.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #49
raceman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimmelnojerz View Post
you guys need to check yourselves into a mental hospital.
You can hardly understand satsifaction when I see how guys like you are unhappy when they see how small is difference in real street situation between their tuned or stock N54 and mine tuned N52.
When pushed hard difference is there, but not worth arrogant stance on supremacy of their bolides.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #50
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
stupid because it's such an obvious statement? you guys need to check yourselves into a mental hospital.
Since he is posting this anti 128i nonsense on the N52 forum, do I detect the (not so) faint odor of troll?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #51
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Test drive them both. Only you can make that decision. test drive 128 first. I think if you drive the 135 first, then you might not even bother with testing the 128
      08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #52
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffsroad View Post
Do I regret getting the 128...nope... If someone gave me the extra $7000 for 70 more hp, would I have gotten the 135...yep... am I sad i got the 128...hell no...
Amen.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #53
SJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:

But N52 requires a bit of smart parts swap (intake-downpipe decat-straight tube catback) plus software genius with pretty basic hardware to reach N52's full atmo potential (doing ~300hp/350Nm) what is in reality close to stock 135 (well still 135 will have slight edge in straight comparison), but overall feeling of non-turbo engine is more than great compensation for that.

Of course N54 can push much further with software manipulation, but turbo engine character and lack of reliability should be taken into account.
For 1er with lot of character I would take 125/128i + mentioned tuning over stock 135i any day of the week.
How much $$$ is required (parts + labor) to get the N52 into the high 200s on hp and torq?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #54
spam052
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:

yeah raceman please give us a rundown of parts, labor and places that can provide us with this things. don't hug all the power
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #55
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

Quote:

at least none of the people driving the 128i have any engine failure light going on. I rather drive something safe and reliable than to have something that stalls in the middle of the road bc of hpfp failure. Also everyone knows that turbo engines will have a lot of maintence issues later down the line. Well see in the long run which engine is better. Feel free to comment on this fellow 128i & 135i owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #56
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
at least none of the people driving the 128i have any engine failure light going on. I rather drive something safe and reliable than to have something that stalls in the middle of the road bc of hpfp failure. Also everyone knows that turbo engines will have a lot of maintence issues later down the line. Well see in the long run which engine is better. Feel free to comment on this fellow 128i & 135i owners.

also in the next couple yrs we will see a hugh depreciation drop of 135i in the second hand market. Due to the HPFP and maintenance issue of turbos.

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #57
BigshotMD
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i + M-Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly335i View Post
Any advice on going with either the turbo or the naturally aspirated would be appreciated. Dunno which is a better choice it seems most people have opted to go with the N series. Why is that?
End of the day if one where to give a parallel analogy:

BMW 125i = A model with natural B+ natural breasts
BMW 135i = A model with a double D breasts implants

Personal perference to look and feel in the end.

Yes, BMW 135i, like breast implants, may be more problematic i.e. increased risk of infection and traumatic rupture
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #58
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigshotMD View Post
End of the day if one where to give a parallel analogy:

BMW 125i = A model with natural B+ natural breasts
BMW 135i = A model with a double D breasts implants

Personal perference to look and feel in the end.

Yes, BMW 135i, like breast implants, may be more problematic i.e. increased risk of infection and traumatic rupture

Love the analogy
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #59
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Luv my Ti 128 w/ 6MT, Sport Pkg. and not much else. I enjoy knowing it doesn't have 40 lbs. of electric seat hardware clinging along for the ride. I think it has a radio but the tailpipe music is all I listen to, and I have no idea why I might need i-drive when everything works perfectly fine the way it is. During 95% of driving time - suburban and city streets, country 2-lanes, normal highway commuting - the 135's extra power would be of no use, but the extra 200 lbs. would always be there. My switch to Breyton GTS-R's and non-run-flats will soon save me 10+ lbs. per corner...anyone with me here?

Now, what about that other 5% of the time? Yeah...the boost would be nice - but I'll stick with "light and basic" for all the sense it makes the rest of the time. 5.7 sec 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 mile is nothing to sneeze at, let's face it - about the same as a Ferrari 328 GTS and just a tick behind the 348. If the 135 were a Hemi 'Cuda or 427 Chevelle, then the 128 would be the 383/396 version of same. Comparisons to Italian exotics and monster muscle aside, I feel BMW could have given us the extra 30-35 ponies still hiding in the ECU! Where's my plug-and-play upgrade?

Okay well, this is coming from a guy who is still very much in love with his lightweight, torquey, air-cooled '93 Ducati 900SS - and has not felt the need to "upgrade" to the 4-valve, watercooled superbike (I guess 0-100 in 8.5 seconds is enough for me!) So I'll say that before you decide you absolutely must have the twin turbos, surprise yourself by taking one of these (very eager) little buzz-saws up over 5,000 rpm and on to the 7K redline a few times (and DON'T do it with an automatic!!!), then relish that sweet torquey push when you toe the go-pedal at around 3,000.

In the end...just as a standard 911 plays second fiddle to its turbo stablemate, and as the standard 'Vette hands the limelight to the Z06, I understand the 128 will always reside in the shadow of its muscle-bound brother the 135, but when it comes to all-around goodness...N/A is A-OK!
i love this post.

But i am even more in love with my turbo's even if it feels like i have 70% more power then i need at all times. I love out running people with pricier more expensive cars that have higher out put engines. i love the pull in 4th gear as it sends you screaming towards 120 mph. i cant wait to get more power out of this car.

No one really needs the power of a 135i or a Porsche or a vette. i sure as hell don't need it. i wanted a car that was really quick that could run with the likes of the evo X, G37 s, 370z and the sti. I got more then i wanted and i am really happy with the 135i

the 128i seems like it could be good fun as well. but it all depends on what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #60
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
i love this post.

But i am even more in love with my turbo's even if it feels like i have 70% more power then i need at all times. I love out running people with pricier more expensive cars that have higher out put engines. i love the pull in 4th gear as it sends you screaming towards 120 mph. i cant wait to get more power out of this car.

No one really needs the power of a 135i or a Porsche or a vette. i sure as hell don't need it. i wanted a car that was really quick that could run with the likes of the evo X, G37 s, 370z and the sti. I got more then i wanted and i am really happy with the 135i

the 128i seems like it could be good fun as well. but it all depends on what you are looking for.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #61
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

The 135i is awesome hey. For the price I couldn't look past it. I was deadset on getting last gen Z4 3.0l and I spotted the 135i online when searching for cars for sale online. Next day I went into the dealership with my mate took it for a very brief spin. I did a google search and ended up finding 1addicts.com. I did some more research and I was pretty much sold on it. The 135i was an instant hit. It felt like it was an overnight success. I place an order not long after that because I realised how long it would take to build and ship to Brisbane, 3-4 months. The rest is history. I picked it up in February and haven't looked back since. I love my car and the novelty hasn't worn off it really puts a smile on my face everyday. The 135i is a very wholesome and satisfying car for me. It feels like a jack of all trades.

I don't care what people say if they don't like the looks at the end of the day I'm driving around in a brand new bmw coupe. It's a great car inside out, very simple and practical. I enjoy it and it's luxurious enough for me and the power is great. 300hp... I'm very happy with that. I'm surprised how comfortable I feel in the car. I hit redline all the time and love feeling of that linear power from the twin turbos. This is actually my first turbo car and the power in the car feels effortless at any speed, it's addictive and it's rewarding. Of course, I have mates who have alot slower and faster cars than mine and they are content with their speed. It's about finding a level of performance that you find rewarding. I love 300hp and I never thought I could want more but the thought of netting an extra 80-100hp from a tune sounds very tempting, I know I'll give in soon enough. I think the rivalry between the 125i/128i v 135i is pointless, they are both good cars. Not many people have driven both and rip on each other anyway. Besides the speed, there is still alot to love about the 1 coupe, and it's even sweeter if your car is heavily optioned or has mods!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #62
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Firefly335i and everyone have to just drive both and let their inner ears tell them how much acceleration they need.

I corrupted myself completely a few years ago. I reserved a Porsche GT3 for a 4 day rental from Gotham Dream Cars. They called on the Monday before my pickup to say that the last renter crashed the GT3 over the weekend. What to choose as a substitute - the only other manual car they had was a Ford GT? Even though it was 2x the price, they offered it for the same price. Um, OK. (I was heartbroken, I really wanted the Porsche...)

www.gothamdreamcars.com

When I got the keys and my briefing, the person said it was not just the standard setup of 550 HP, but had upgraded superchargers and exhaust. I drove it from NYC to VA, and gave each of my family members a ride and 0-60 (really 0-80) run. BTW, I didn't let them know when the 0-60 was coming - I heard a few screams!

Result? I now always yearn for that sub 4 second 0-60 in every car. You can't beat that rush, push in the seat, sound of the engine. Jeremy Clarkson/TopGear is right, it is a cracking drive.

I've convinced myself that the reason Ford isn't bankrupt is because they support a program like the Ford GT. Yeah, the Vette is cool, but the plastic and switchgear in the interior is straight out of an Aveo. The Ford GT was exquisite... and $160K. But they sold every one. And it's a true halo.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #63
BigshotMD
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i + M-Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
Love the analogy
Haha...on another note. I just realised that the cost breast implants are not too far off from the difference between 125i/135.

So it's up to you folks.

BMW 125i + sports package + Breast implants = BMW 135i.

Whatever tickles your fancy

And yes, they are the new contour shaped breasts implants...non of that old school watermelon, I want to burst them ones

And if you need a recommendation for a good surgeon...haha, I'm kidding.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #64
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigshotMD View Post
Haha...on another note. I just realised that the cost breast implants are not too far off from the difference between 125i/135.

So it's up to you folks.

BMW 125i + sports package + Breast implants = BMW 135i.

Whatever tickles your fancy

And yes, they are the new contour shaped breasts implants...non of that old school watermelon, I want to burst them ones

And if you need a recommendation for a good surgeon...haha, I'm kidding.
lol but my 135i gets me plenty of boobies!

jokes...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #65
raceman
Private First Class
Rep

To summarize:

If one wishes 300 HP performance and non-turbo than 125i is way to go over stock 135i (difference in how 300 HP non-turbo engine reacts on pedal push alone is worth considering 125i as base car).
If one wishes to reach maximum power and torque (say 400) with relativelly small budget (compared to buying M3 or Porsche) than there is no other way than 135i (well except Nissan GT-R that kills any tuned BMW so far) with all problems and risk that engine will blow up one day.

My point from the day 1 was that 1er and 300 HP are marriage from heaven and that N52 engine is better choice for that particular target.
It is amazing how easy N54 can grow for next 50-80 HP over stock. For that fact I very much appreciate this engine.
I hate to say it, but for raw power, Nissan rules !
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #66
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

One thing I would add after recently driving a 135i for a couple of days is that the throttle response is night and day different on my NA 130i.

The 135 is a great car, no doubt and extremely tunable for big numbers but the soft response throttle pedal and lag is very noticeable after driving my 130i. This response gives the 135i a lazy character which is not quite to my liking.

Faster, yes but not as rewarding in my opinion. I'm hoping to get around 280-290 bhp with Intake, exhaust and a re-map but I'll be happy with this.