BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Does clearance between Tire and front coilover change at all when driving?

The reason I ask is that when I put on my APEX wheels with 245s in front, the clearance between the inner edge of the tire and the spring perch on the KW V3 coilover is very tight. I'd hate to think that under hard cornering something could move and it could contact the tire...the edge of the spring perch is not exactly smooth. I know others are running a similar combo and have not heard of anything, but it really looked tight in there. I'll have to check how tight the stock wheels are with the 225 Star Specs.

I'd just hate to find out the hard way mid corner at the track
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I've got about 1/32" clearance to my coilovers with stock wheels and 225s, and I have yet to detect any rubbing. I haven't tracked it with this setup, but I do hate to slow down for 270 degree off-ramps.......
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Bimmer View Post
The reason I ask is that when I put on my APEX wheels with 245s in front, the clearance between the inner edge of the tire and the spring perch on the KW V3 coilover is very tight. I'd hate to think that under hard cornering something could move and it could contact the tire...the edge of the spring perch is not exactly smooth. I know others are running a similar combo and have not heard of anything, but it really looked tight in there. I'll have to check how tight the stock wheels are with the 225 Star Specs.

I'd just hate to find out the hard way mid corner at the track
Do you have camber plates? Is your car lowered? My car is lowered by 1 inch with KW3 COILS.,worshlag plates -3 camber up front, apex weels 245 ps2 tires. Took it to the track once and had no rubbing issues. I have to look and see how close my tires are to spring perch but when my mechanic installed coilovers he said i should have no problem on the track.

Last edited by Groundpilot; 09-18-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
Do you have camber plates? Is your car lowered? My car is lowered by 1 inch with KW3 COILS.,worshlag plates -3 camber up front, apex weels 245 ps2 tires. Took it to the track once and had no rubbing issues. I have to look and see how close my tires are to spring perch but when my mechanic installed coilovers he said i should have no problem on the track.
Yes, I have Vorshlag plates and with the track wheels I have the camber set right about -2.5. I raised the car a little from its street height as the 245/40/18 BFG R1s are taller and wider than the 225/40/18 Star Specs. I took it out early today for a couple quick turns in a large parking lot to see. On the driver's tire you could see where it rubbed a few times. There was a little chunk of rubber built up on the spring perch. Nothing on the paseenger side.....not sure why it would be different. Raised the car another 3/8" and hope that will do it. No rubbing on fenders though
Appreciate 0