BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Reynard
Rep
Drives: 128i

Window problems

New here - just bought a 2008 128i. So far I love everything about the car except the wind noise at the drivers side window. Didn't notice there was a problem until I was half way home (900 mile drive) from picking it up.

Let me start by saying I have searched the forum and the web in general and can't find a suitable answer. The problem is the window won't go up the last 5mm or so (1cm max) to seal against the top of the trim. Everything else works - it goes up, down, and goes up/down slightly when opening or closing the door.

Took it to the local dealer today. $120 to look at it - ok the wind noise on the highway is really annoying. They said that somebody had it apart at some point and that I would need a new regulator and maybe a motor. $750 total to fix.

Now I have never worked on a BWM before but I have replaced broken regulators on several vehicles. The fact that the window works just fine except the last 5mm makes me wonder how it can be the regulator or the motor. The only thing I can think is that the dealer also said they couldn't reinitialize it (I tried numerous times already and also couldn't) so possibly a new regulator would just allow the window position to be reset. But of course it is easiest for the dealer to just say replace everything and make a nice profit.

Anyway, it looks like I could find a new regulator and motor online and replace it myself, but I'm worried if it is some electrical problem or initialization problem it might just be a waste of time and I would have to take it to the dealer in the end.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated. Thought I got a good deal on the car but something like this makes it seem like it wasn't so great. Just as a FYI the car has 54k miles on it and is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I don't really know anything about this but you might try looking for a DIY on replacing the window regulator on the e90 forum. Our cars are very similar to theirs and theirs are older so more possibility the regulator is failing on them. There are also about 10X as many 3 series, of course.

Jim
      06-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

JimD's approach is probably the way to go. Dealer's assumption someone has worked on it before makes sense to me. Audi/VW group cars can have the regulator and motor put together incorrectly and end up with a window that will not go up all the way. Sounds like you can probably tackle it on your own. I thought $450 for the Passat was pricey...$750 Yikes! I had a problem once with a 03 Passat and it took me a variety of differently worded google serches; but eventually found one that a true DIY - retainer by retainer, clip by clip, etc. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

this is not an engine sophisticated issue that you need the dealer to do it for you.. you should check a local good Indi shop and let them do the repair.. paying 150 per hour is insane for this type of job..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0