BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Turbo hose pops off... Please help

Why does this hose pop off under wide open throttle? Is it the charge pipe? I had the charge pipe replaced recently at the dealer. Should they fix this for free under warranty?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Stupid autocorrect... Title is supposed to be: Turbo hose pops off... help please
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
amsnow440
Olmec's Temple Guard
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT, 05 Legacy GT

yup that would be the charge pipe
      05-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

That's awesome!! Yes they should fix it. Then 'accidentally' drive your car through the front glass window at the dealership. "Oops!"

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Before wasting you time going to the dealer, make sure the gray plastic piece is twisted to the lock position. Instead of trying to do this with the hose connected to the charge pipe, twist it to the lock position with hose off the charge pipe. Then firmly push the hose end onto the charge pipe until it snaps/locks into place. Go do a few WOT runs and see if this fixes the problem. Forgeting to lock the hose after changing the charge pipe is a pretty common issue.

Edit... Sorry my bad. I thought I saw the diverter valve hose disconnected. On second glance, the hose running to your intake is coming off. This is a simple fix... Just snug the hose back on and tighten the clamp. You may want to wipe down any grease/oil that may be on the hose before reinstalling. Don't be afraid to tug on the hose to get it to fully seat on the intake..

Last edited by Pig Farmer; 05-09-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Before wasting you time going to the dealer, make sure the gray plastic piece is twisted to the lock position. Instead of trying to do this with the hose connected to the charge pipe, twist it to the lock position with hose off the charge pipe. Then firmly push the hose end onto the charge pipe until it snaps/locks into place. Go do a few WOT runs and see if this fixes the problem. Forgeting to lock the hose after changing the charge pipe is a pretty common issue.

Edit... Sorry my bad. I thought I saw the diverter valve hose disconnected. On second glance, the hose running to your intake is coming off. This is a simple fix... Just snug the hose back on and tighten the clamp. You may want to wipe down any grease/oil that may be on the hose before reinstalling. Don't be afraid to tug on the hose to get it to fully seat on the intake..
Dude, what are you talking about? It's the charge pipe - albeit the side closer to the intercooler. Not used to seeing them come loose there, usually it's the clamp by the throttle body, but this gentleman's car is special.

BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Dude, what are you talking about? It's the charge pipe - albeit the side closer to the intercooler. Not used to seeing them come loose there, usually it's the clamp by the throttle body, but this gentleman's car is special.
Holy shit. WTF is wrong with me today. Probably heat stroke coupled with an iPad screen that keeps rotating on me. And to think I'm wrenching on the rear suspension today. Scary!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #8
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer

Thanks for the help, but I can't find the gray plastic piece you mentioned. Where's it located?

Before I created this thread I did try loosening the hose clamp, reconnecting the pipes then tightening the hose clamp, but it still pops out at wide open throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82n54 View Post
Thanks for the help, but I can't find the gray plastic piece you mentioned. Where's it located?

Before I created this thread I did try loosening the hose clamp, reconnecting the pipes then tightening the hose clamp, but it still pops out at wide open throttle.
If it keeps decoupling, take it to the dealer and ask for a new pipe and/or clamp. Aftermarket charge pipes usually are bead rolled and clamp with a t-bolt, if I recall correctly the stock pipe uses a one-time clamp.

If you want to try it, clean off the clamp area well, and just try tightening it down. Don't be timid, it needs to have a good, secure clamp or it'll just pop off again.

No biggie, should be an easy fix. The "grey ring" is totally unrelated to the charge pipe, no need to worry about that in this context.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Holy shit. WTF is wrong with me today. Probably heat stroke coupled with an iPad screen that keeps rotating on me. And to think I'm wrenching on the rear suspension today. Scary!
I forgive you. We all have TIAs from time to time. Don't let it happen again Pig Farmer! Soooooeeeeeeeeeyyyy

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82n54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer

Just wanted to update the thread...

When I tightened the hose clamp with a screw driver it would still pop off at wide open throttle so I tightened it with a ratchet and got it much tighter. It hasn't popped off since.
Appreciate 0