BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Lightbulb Gaps in your CF Rear Spoiler? Cheap & Easy Fix!

So I think one of the most popular aero modifications on this forum is the addition of the OEM or replica CF Rear Spoiler - the item looks fantastic and really sets the rear-end off in my opinion. The only thing with this modification I suppose is down to the installation, working with double sided tape always has its ups & downs - that or the item you purchased wasn't 100%

I just installed my CF rear spoiler and I wasn't 100% with the results around the edges... here is my solution:-

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The edges on the spoiler began to raise today, evidence of the double-sided tape not being thick enough at the extremities of the item, the effect heightened because the degree of bowing was not 100% matching the curve of the boot-lid.

To fix this, the first point of call was to do some surgery on the left and right corners, getting rid of the old double-sided tape and inserting some new bits, double the width.

*This worked well and now the corners are rock-solid.
*What I was left with though was 1.0-1.5mm gaps between the spoiler and the boot-lid so I brainstormed some ways to fill them.

I didn't want to resort to permanent items like Sikaflex or any other type of adhesive-based agent so I turned to the world of modelling and picked up some modelling clay ($1.48 from my local arts and craft store). *The stuff is oil-based (meaning water proof) and moulds to any shape you want very easily. *It doesn't set hard or stick permanently to the surface so is easily removed when I want it to be.

So I hit the edges with generous amounts of the stuff, applying it with this tool *Because it doesn't set, I could take my sweet ass time and really get the gaps filled properly.

Once I was happy with the amount of filling done, I used the tool to scrape off the bulk excess and then a cloth to smooth it all out so it looks the same as items bonded from factory. *Personally I think it looks very neat and for $2, a very worthwhile way to perfecting the look of the CF rear spoiler.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

So doesn't look weird since the clay is like blue-ish?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Looks good Stan- my spoiler lifts ever so slightly on the left side as I didn't get the tape all the way to the edge. I may have to do what you've done as the thought of taking the whole spoiler off, getting off the old tape, putting on new tape etc is too daunting! I killed my fingers getting the stock spoiler off, which had been bonded for 3 years!

Might get take ur advice with the molding clay. As you said it doesn't set, what happens when you push down on the spoiler? Does the clay just bulge out and spill onto the bootlid?

Ur car is looking like mine (or vice versa)- I've yet to get my Kersher lip
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Looking good Stan! I gotta check out this ebay vendor you mentioned to me
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
So doesn't look weird since the clay is like blue-ish?
Stupid iPhone pictures... clay is actually pitch black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
Might get take ur advice with the molding clay. As you said it doesn't set, what happens when you push down on the spoiler? Does the clay just bulge out and spill onto the bootlid?

Well hopefully nobody is going to be pushing down on the spoiler but me - but if they do, then its just a matter of running the tool / cloth around it again to make sure it's clean. Takes all of 2 minutes, bit more if you need to reapply some clay but hopefully not.

TBH, I used the clay as a quick fix to make some of the gaps disappear, it's not there to offer any structural support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Looking good Stan! I gotta check out this ebay vendor you mentioned to me
4A-Motors I think, I just ordered the CF mirror caps from them, the quality of their spoiler ticked the box so it gets my repeat business.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
Next for me is CF mirror caps, Lux Angel Eyes, and either new wheels / spacers + re-colour... I'm very happy with the way it's turning out.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I've remounted mine twice. The passenger side keeps lifting.

Bought a 10 metre roll of the 3M double sided tape and I've used about 1/2 of it

Next time I'm Sikaflexing the bastard.
      11-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Bought a 10 metre roll of the 3M double sided tape and I've used about 1/2 of it

Unlucky! Mine has been fine *touch wood*
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Sikaflex is some nasty shit... Gets EVERYWHERE!!!

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Looks good Satanic.

Let me know if you want a set of Lux V3s - I have a brand new set sitting on my office. Have not had the time / can't be bothered to swap them over.