BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #67
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
When did you get an N54 and where?
Still hasn't arrived yet.. But.. from melbourne, 335 wreck, bought it 2 weeks ago, should be here in a few days.. I hope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS130 View Post
Yeah Kenneth mentioned that yesterday... very interested in how it will turn out. I imagine the wiring is going to be fun haha keep us posted on the progress!
Haha yeah, got every electronic bit i need.. While the wiring will suck, i have the parts for it to work at least..

Don't worry, when the time comes (when i get it to tear into it..) a build thread will appear ..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #68
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Still hasn't arrived yet.. But.. from melbourne, 335 wreck, bought it 2 weeks ago, should be here in a few days.. I hope..

Haha yeah, got every electronic bit i need.. While the wiring will suck, i have the parts for it to work at least..

Don't worry, when the time comes (when i get it to tear into it..) a build thread will appear ..
Nice! How much did that set you back?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #69
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

Nice! How much did that set you back?

Don't want to clog up thread too much, sent a pm
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #70
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 130i 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Couple of updates...

Finally got rid of those horrid 17" wheels that came with the car.. a set of 193Ms (E90 offsets) came up for sale from an E90Post member close by so I decided to go for it. Came with Michelin Pilot Sport RFTs with 225/40 front and 255/35 rear with decent tread on them. Tyre pressures were all over the place so after I got them to my liking, all I can say is that the difference in grip is astounding (naturally) and the ride isn't too bad at all... the guards are filled quite a lot more now as they stick out 26mm more at the front and 23mm at the rear, the latter of which rubs over large bumps.. anyway, that's enough talk.

New Wheels + Impromptu Photoshoot by J.H. Sohn, on Flickr

Trippy photo warning...

18" 193M | Michelin PS RFT (225/40 F, 255/35 R)| BMWP Intake | BMWP Gloss Black Grille | LCI Blackline LED Tail Lights | LED Licence Plate Lights | CF Wrapped Trim | BMS Clutch Stop | Resonator Delete + Flapper Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #71
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Also went on a run up the Spur with Ken. Those roads are absolutely amazing to drive on and now I know what the next mods will be after having a closer "look" at his car
(BMW Perf gloss black grille installed!)

The Spur + BMW Performance Grille Installed by J.H. Sohn, on Flickr

The Spur by J.H. Sohn, on Flickr

Phillip Island coming up this weekend with some showers forecast according to my friends.. so hopefully it'll be back in one piece next week!
18" 193M | Michelin PS RFT (225/40 F, 255/35 R)| BMWP Intake | BMWP Gloss Black Grille | LCI Blackline LED Tail Lights | LED Licence Plate Lights | CF Wrapped Trim | BMS Clutch Stop | Resonator Delete + Flapper Mod
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #72
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Phillip Island - MSCA

More updates... Two of my friends and I went to Philip Island for the Marque Sports Car Association Super Sprints on the 25th of November. This was my first proper track day as my only previous experience was the Haunted Hills event. Needless to say I was both excited and slightly apprehensive on the day. Luckily the rain cleared before we got any proper track time so that cleared one concern from my mind, leaving me concentrate on trying to figure out the braking points and lines etc.

Forgot to bring my memory card so I "shared" my friends camera

We then decided to sneak onto the skidpan area for some photos...

Wasn't really happy with the runs that I put down as I was still exploring the track and had too much traffic (was in the novice class... and rightfully so haha). Some things that I got out of the day:

1) The wider tyres really help put the power down. Night and day difference... until they decide to overheat, which happened faster than I expected, especially in the later sessions where I was pushing a bit harder.

2) Rear guards need to be rolled. Tyres were rubbing quite badly, particularly through the two fast left handers (turns 9 & 12)... enough to leave marbles of rubber on the guards themselves.

3) Brakes need more feel. I only became confident enough to really step on them in the last two sessions.

4) The real surprise was the suspension.. and not in a good way unfortunately. Contrary to what I thought at Haunted Hills, it felt really soft and floaty... the body roll was even a bit scary at times! Sway bars and springs/coilovers are moving to the top of my list of mods... when funds permit

5) The engine is absolutely amazing. It pulls so nicely coming out of corners and the sound as it reaches 7000rpm is addictive. Love it to bits.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #73
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Winton

2nd of December was the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia's sprint event at Winton. Went down with some friends again and I've got to say I was really surprised at how good the track is to drive. In fact I prefer this track over Phillip Island and I found it to be a more enjoyable and technical layout. We had the long track layout on the day.

Some shots of the cars in the paddock...

Winton Motor Raceway by J.H. Sohn, on Flickr

Two of my favourite cars on the day

Lent my camera to a friend during one of the sessions to take some photos for me

I was able to get settled on this track much quicker than PI, although that may have been down to my fantastic instructor haha. Some observations:

1) The tyres are wearing fast (esp. rears) so I may need to consider a set of lighter wheels and grippier tyres. The temps were quite hot so the tyres were overheating much faster than at PI, which was frustrating as it seemed to always happen on my clear runs

2) Brakes... same story as before although I was much harder on them this time. Overheated with approx. 2 clear laps and I think I may have boiled the fluid in my last session which was a bit scary... luckily it happened on one of the slower corners so no real damage done.

On a related note, I had to brake quite hard and suddenly on the road today and the pedal felt quite mushy... could that mean I have air in the system? Regardless, I'll have the brakes sorted soon enough.

3) Suspension needs to be tighter esp. under braking, and the body roll is still quite evident although not as bad as the sweeping corners at PI. Still felt scary through the chicane on the main straight... kept off the curbs because it felt like it was about to flip if I clipped them. Okay maybe not that bad but still scary haha.

4) Again, engine sounds amazing and feels awesome. Don't think I want any more power if I'm honest... I'd do more damage than good if I do!

Loved finding the limits of my current setup on this layout... my instructor was happy to let me out by myself by the second run but I didn't let him leave until the last session because I wanted to learn as much as I could PB of the day was 1:48.0101 on my last lap, which I was pretty happy with as I was more concerned with having a drivable car for the trip back home at the end of the day rather than the fastest lap time

Some things that my instructor suggested were track wheels and tyres, brake overhaul (Ferodo DS pads, higher rated fluid, stainless steel braided lines) and something that I thought was a bit strange - a 4 point harness. He said that it lets you feel the car better and removes the effort of having to counteract the forces whilst cornering... worth a second or two on track according to him. Research backs this up although there seems to be some controversy with running them on stock seats, no roll cage, mounting points, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #74
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

What an adventure you had. Nice write up
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #75
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks for the update, Patrick. Impressive!

I also enjoyed Winton more with my N52 than N54. You recorded a respectable time
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #76
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Thanks guys, here are some more photos that were taken of my car:

Holy body roll, batman haha

Winton Dec12-947.jpg by ratalfa, on Flickr

Winton Dec12-518.jpg by ratalfa, on Flickr

Winton Dec12-475.jpg by ratalfa, on Flickr

Winton Dec12-456.jpg by ratalfa, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #77
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Aaaand some more shots taken after the Garage Cafe meet on the 7th...

130i Photoshoot by J.H. Sohn, on Flickr

Last edited by JHS130; 12-09-2012 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #78
quasio
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

nice updates!.. inspiring me to get out again there in my 130i as well!.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #79
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

where's this ? nice lighting
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #80
JHS130
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 130i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasio View Post
nice updates!.. inspiring me to get out again there in my 130i as well!.
Haha great to hear! Hope to see you around at some of the 1addicts meets in the future if you're up for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oystero View Post
where's this ? nice lighting
Awesome lighting right?! I took them outside what seems to be the Samsung HQ on 270 Ferntree Gully Road near Bunnings.. I actually had my eye on this place for a while and decided to pop by after our meet and it was well worth it in the end haha!

By the way, can't believe how long this page is... kudos on making it down this far guys
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #81
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
Rep
Drives: 130i

Found a hot looking 130. Very tempted to do the same headlight conversion.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/11/h...oor-hatchback/
      01-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #82
DubKasper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice ride
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #83
pechs2k
Private
Rep
Drives:

nice one!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #84
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz View Post
You like that look? way too much camber and rims that are too big for the rubber?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #85
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
You like that look? way too much camber and rims that are too big for the rubber?
Not so much love for the wheels, but the rest of the mods look awesome.
      01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #86
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Made me cringe, thinking how the compliance would be riding so low, geometry all wrong. You'd scrape everything all the time.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #87
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

This a great thread. I loved my 130i and I can see you're enjoying yours even more.
I find after a track day it usually takes 2-3 days of city driving to get rid of all the brake resin and deposits off so pedal feel doesn't come back until then. I'd recommend a brake bleed before and after a track day either way, it should become part of your track setup routine.

Braided brake lines I wouldn't bother, better pads and fluid definitely.
Also a 4 point harness is a must if you want to do more track days, it's amazing how it'll hold you in and let you focus on the driving. Revolution RaceGear has them. In my wrx I replaced the seatbelt bolts with eye bolts and clipped the harness into them, it was the common way to do it. I'd assume you could do similar on the 130i. I need to do the same for the 1M.

Keep up the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS130 View Post
2nd of December was the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia's sprint event at Winton. Went down with some friends again and I've got to say I was really surprised at how good the track is to drive. In fact I prefer this track over Phillip Island and I found it to be a more enjoyable and technical layout. We had the long track layout on the day.

I was able to get settled on this track much quicker than PI, although that may have been down to my fantastic instructor haha. Some observations:

1) The tyres are wearing fast (esp. rears) so I may need to consider a set of lighter wheels and grippier tyres. The temps were quite hot so the tyres were overheating much faster than at PI, which was frustrating as it seemed to always happen on my clear runs

2) Brakes... same story as before although I was much harder on them this time. Overheated with approx. 2 clear laps and I think I may have boiled the fluid in my last session which was a bit scary... luckily it happened on one of the slower corners so no real damage done.

On a related note, I had to brake quite hard and suddenly on the road today and the pedal felt quite mushy... could that mean I have air in the system? Regardless, I'll have the brakes sorted soon enough.

3) Suspension needs to be tighter esp. under braking, and the body roll is still quite evident although not as bad as the sweeping corners at PI. Still felt scary through the chicane on the main straight... kept off the curbs because it felt like it was about to flip if I clipped them. Okay maybe not that bad but still scary haha.

4) Again, engine sounds amazing and feels awesome. Don't think I want any more power if I'm honest... I'd do more damage than good if I do!

Loved finding the limits of my current setup on this layout... my instructor was happy to let me out by myself by the second run but I didn't let him leave until the last session because I wanted to learn as much as I could PB of the day was 1:48.0101 on my last lap, which I was pretty happy with as I was more concerned with having a drivable car for the trip back home at the end of the day rather than the fastest lap time

Some things that my instructor suggested were track wheels and tyres, brake overhaul (Ferodo DS pads, higher rated fluid, stainless steel braided lines) and something that I thought was a bit strange - a 4 point harness. He said that it lets you feel the car better and removes the effort of having to counteract the forces whilst cornering... worth a second or two on track according to him. Research backs this up although there seems to be some controversy with running them on stock seats, no roll cage, mounting points, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #88
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz View Post

http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/11/h...oor-hatchback/
I'm afraid I don't share your appreciation of this car... Although to be fair you only want the LCI lights which I do like!

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0