04-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Mine works 100% and I have tinted windows, but I have carbon tint so no metal in it. The metallic films are apparently the ones that affect CA performance.
+1. Exactly the same here as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

I have HuperOptik tint...my CA only works MAYBE 10% of the time after I had the tint installed. It worked 100% of the time before tint was installed.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
My CA works sporadically, have Llumar 50% tint, but it nether improved it nor worsened it. It is quite annoying at times.

I noticed a strong correlation on its operation dependent on whether my iPhone is in the same pocket as the key or not. If key and iPhone are in the same front pocket, CA doesn't work most of the time. If my iPhone is in the other pocket, success rate is drastically higher.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #26
VOM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe

In Canada, not sure bout the rest, but I presume they are the same, the CA key fob does not charge in the car as the others do. The fob has a battery that needs to be changed out if the charge drops off. Also, CA, being a none essential option, is one of the first to shut down if your car battery starts to deplete. Multiple short trips without giving the car time to charge the battery can cause this. I had a similar issue and it was caused by a faulty footwell module. (Promptly looked after by the dealership). The issue with the module was tricking the car to not go into "sleep" mode. The car would sleep and wake up while the car was parked causing an excessive draw on the battery. I might add that I have tinted windows and have not experienced any problems since. Just my experience though.
Cheers
      04-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOM View Post
In Canada, not sure bout the rest, but I presume they are the same, the CA key fob does not charge in the car as the others do. The fob has a battery that needs to be changed out if the charge drops off. Also, CA, being a none essential option, is one of the first to shut down if your car battery starts to deplete. Multiple short trips without giving the car time to charge the battery can cause this. I had a similar issue and it was caused by a faulty footwell module. (Promptly looked after by the dealership). The issue with the module was tricking the car to not go into "sleep" mode. The car would sleep and wake up while the car was parked causing an excessive draw on the battery. I might add that I have tinted windows and have not experienced any problems since. Just my experience though.
Cheers
My buddy's e92 M3 just went through this...an easy way to tell is: check the Start/Stop engine button after you have stepped out of the car. Typically it should stay on for no longer than 20 minutes after operation of the car has stopped. If the car is not going to sleep, this button will stay on indefinitely.

Chances are the OP's issue is tint-related.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Hey gang,

Does anyone have problems with their comfort access not always working 100% of the time? I'll reach for the door handle and nothing happens. I'll then try with the other hand, twisting my body and moving the key around (which is in my pocket) and sometimes that helps. Other times I look like an idiot and eventually just grab my key and manually unlock it.

Also happens with my trunk. I'll hear the mechanism but nothing happens.

Is this normal or is my key defective? I charge it periodically but I've never received a low battery warning.
After getting my 135i tinted last week my comfort access is a hit or miss just like you explained. tint is metal based...not sure if related or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I had a Huper Optik 50% tint (non-metallic) in my 135 and immediately after I installed it I started having issues with the CA. On my 1M, I've got no tint and it works 95% of the time with no problem. I believe the key is different in for CA cars. I don't think you can charge the key, I think you just have to replace the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I had a Huper Optik 50% tint (non-metallic) in my 135 and immediately after I installed it I started having issues with the CA. On my 1M, I've got no tint and it works 95% of the time with no problem. I believe the key is different in for CA cars. I don't think you can charge the key, I think you just have to replace the battery.
Correct. CA=No charge. I changed the batterys in both my key fobs and still have intermitent issues. dont know...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

This is a common problem that has already been discussed here including a "how to" video on the proper procedure for opening the doors with a balky key fob.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
This is a common problem that has already been discussed here including a "how to" video on the proper procedure for opening the doors with a balky key fob.
Excellent fob technique in that video.
Appreciate 0