BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Thought about 2 years with no warranty

Hi all,,

I am sure some1 had the dilemma I am having now.. I want to get your opinions here.

I am planning to keep my car for roughly 6 years.. it is good to have 2 years of no payments before i get a new car..

My car is MY10. It has now 13K miles which what i think i will doing on average per year... I was thinking about getting an extended service warranty but to be honest after i saw the price from two dealers i could not justify it.

Both dealers quoted me for 3K+1.8K for Warranty and service plan. (This does not include some parts like Navi. so mainly this is mechanical warranty).

I know this price is high but on the other hand BMWs are very expensive to fix.. I am sure an HPFP job will end up to be easily $1.3K..

Is HPFP covered by the recent recall? do you i have to pay for it out of my pocket?

What are the other things that are notorious to break in BMW as usual after the warranty is over? so far I had replace (1 HPFP + low pressure fuel pump and Sensor) and AC blower.

Thanks,

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

BMW will cover your HPFP and you won't pay a dime, so don't worry about that...

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budz135i View Post
BMW will cover your HPFP and you won't pay a dime, so don't worry about that...
My HPFP JOB included Low/High pressure sensor and Injector. I checked this forum and most people get the same parts replaced when they report an HPFP issue.. so is it all covered or just the HPFP?

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

hpfp warranty was extended to 10 yr 120,000 miles i believe so you will be fine in that part but other things can also go wrong but i dont see it happening as long as you take care of it..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I know you plan to keep your car, but what if you don't? For instance, if it is totalled in an accident or if you sell it, that money is just gone. Does it make sense to buy something you might not need so far in advance?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Shop around for extended warranty. Any dealer will be fine. Don't buy 3rd party warranty, only BMW.
Contact the F&I Guy at dealers NOT in your area via e-Mail... They know they will have one shot at you to earn extra dough for the house & will quote you their best price. Just be sure it is only a BMWUSA New Car Extended Warranty youre talking about with them. Many stores will look to sell you a GE Warranty or one by some other company first because there is a greater mark-up for them.

All you need is one guy to quote you the right price... then jump on it. Don't waste peoples time. I wouldn't keep a German car without an extended warranty. They're great to drive, but parts & service are crazy, crazy expensive. We own a 2010 128 and a 2007 Mercedes E550. To rebuild/replace a transmission in the Benz is over $ 9,000.00 !

No repair of any complexity is less than a thousand bucks. Just look at what your Dealer will charge you per hour for Labor alone, then imagine what the parts will cost. In the long run, over 2 years, the Warranty will almost surely pay for itself or come damn close. And if it doesn't? You got to love and enjoy your car every day without fearing an unexpexted (by only you) repair.

The BMW extended Warranty is "expensive" because all a warranty plan is, is a wager between you and BMWUSA on whether your car will break. BMWUSA is covering themselves with the price that your car WILL require them to supply parts and labor down the road. If they didn't expect to pay, the plan would be cheaper.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-09-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
mwike
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I know you plan to keep your car, but what if you don't? For instance, if it is totalled in an accident or if you sell it, that money is just gone. Does it make sense to buy something you might not need so far in advance?
This is not always correct. Some extended servce contracts/warrranty terminate when ownership is transferred. Due to escheat laws the indivdiual who purchased the contract is due a refund for the unused, prorated portion. At least this is the rule in NC.

Obviously, some contracts are attached to the car and transfer with any ownership transfer. In this case, one should/may be able to recoup some of the cost of the contract via a higher sales price.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
bimmerman14
bmw doctor
Rep
Drives: x7(kid hauler) 13 x550i 07328i

Just The Hpfp Is Covred If Out Of Warranty It Is Extended 6/120k
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Rico135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I got the EasyCare- Total Choice extended warranty. My 08 has 43,xxx. The plan cost me 3k up to 85k miles with a $250 deductible. Covers everything except for door seals. The reason I went with EasyCare is that they do not have access to the FASTA data so they have no clue if the car is tuned or not. EasyCare only knows what the BMW tech tells them. IF the tech says the turbo is bad...they pay. EasyCare pays the dealer directly so you don't have to worry about paying up front. With all my issues with my car and me having a cool attitude with the shop techs and manager, bringing them donuts and coffee a few times has paid off. I can be upfront with them and I don't have to remove and install each visit to the shop.
Appreciate 0