BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #67
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

aside from the hpfp, the n54 is a better engine with more horses(approx 320) and able be modded to the hilt. don't let anybody tell you otherwise. -the instigator.
      09-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #68
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I traded in an N546MT for a N55DCT. Both great engines. No appreciable difference in pull off the line, lag (or absence of) or high end torque. I do think the DCT makes it quicker, but do miss the clutch pedal a tad at times. Hey OP where'd you go? Fall off the toilet again? Stop reading magazines in the John and be happy with your decision ... albeit an "ignorant" one.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #69
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Carbon Black 650i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeah View Post
I traded in an N546MT for a N55DCT. Both great engines. No appreciable difference in pull off the line, lag (or absence of) or high end torque. I do think the DCT makes it quicker, but do miss the clutch pedal a tad at times. Hey OP where'd you go? Fall off the toilet again? Stop reading magazines in the John and be happy with your decision ... albeit an "ignorant" one.
I'm here. I am following the thread and reading what rpm90, 1 series stud and others have to say.

I no longer have n55 remorse. I do have engine break- in impatience. I'm getting tired of trying to keep the car under 4500rpm.

How was my decision ignorant, if you just bought the same car???
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #70
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guynamedsean View Post
I'm here. I am following the thread and reading what rpm90, 1 series stud and others have to say.

I no longer have n55 remorse. I do have engine break- in impatience. I'm getting tired of trying to keep the car under 4500rpm.

Hey man, you made an outstanding decision...this is an amazing engine and also the one replacing the N54 - I highly doubt that BMW would ever follow what was known as a great engine with an engine that does not match up to the expectations. I believe factors such as the combination of valvetronic and turbocharging, better gas mileage, equal power output, and better sound are clues as to what sits under our hoods. Obviously, there will always be hardcore N54 fans that no matter how much facts they are presented with, they will not admit to the benefits of the new engine, simply because they are emotionally attached to their engines, or maybe because they do not want to think that their beloved engines are outdated. The reality is, both engines are great, but the N55 is obviously taking over a task that was very well performed by its predecessor.

Now, for those who are about to jump in saying the 335is and the 1M use the N54 engine with a more aggressive tune...well, the choice is obvious. BMW is simply not going to dispose of extra units, so their marketing team got smart about it, and came up with ideas to use up these units as the N55 continues to replace it. The N55 is actually setting the base for the next generation M3 engine, which will be N55-based, however, I am quite convinced there will be major differences. Maybe a bigger turbo? Higher redline? Who knows....but definitely N55-based.

By the way, my BMW Performance Exhaust arrives tomorrow, I will be installing it on Friday, and following up with pictures and videos as soon as possible. In case you have not heard it yet, you should watch the videos where they mate this exhaust to the N55 engine, and it's simply and amazingly intoxicating! It actually sounds much deeper/more aggressive/throatier than when mated to an N54 engine, as shown by the contrasting videos.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #71
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote from you earlier in the thread:

"I guess the reason I feel this way is because I didn't know about the 2 different engines until after I bought my car.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess."

Understand now?

My decision wasn't ignorant. I knew as much as I needed to know about both engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #72
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeah;
Quote from you earlier in the thread:

"I guess the reason I feel this way is because I didn't know about the 2 different engines until after I bought my car.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess."

Understand now?

My decision wasn't ignorant. I knew as much as I needed to know about both engines.
Okay got it . Why don't you shut your dick pleaser now.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #73
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep

@1seriesstud - yes, I agree. When people talk about supposed cost cutting it makes me laugh. Sure BMW wants to compete w Audi, Lexus, even Hyundai and they want to make a profit. We cannot forget that first and foremost they are a luxury brand. They are known for superior driving dynamics. They are known for winning almost every comparo in the mags. So image trumps cost for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #74
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Okay got it . Why don't you shut your dick pleaser now.
Touche. I apologize. It just bothered me that you were so affected by a single comment in an article before even giving your car a chance. You've got a great vehicle there. Screw the break-in period. Go have a blast. I'll look forward to comparing notes with you in future posts. No hard feelings?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #75
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix;
Maybe now, and in the early fifties they almost went bankrupt building 503, 504 and the beautiful but non selling 507 luxury models powered by a 3.2L alloy V8.. They had to license the production of Isetta to stay alive when those earlier models didn't sell in a recovering post war politically divided Europe. Even when they returned to the US market in the late sixties it was with the 1602 and 2002 leading the way, followed at some distance back by the 2500 and way back by the 2800. CS coupes were very expensive, very luxurious and even more rare.

It's all a mater of perspective, but I guarantee the Quandt family has not forgotten how close they came to losing it all.
Good points as well. I guess my point is that in my opinion the current 3 is even better than the last 3. I also think the current 7 is even better than the last 7. At work I have been using a 7 series co car and the company trades up whenever a new body style comes out. I used to drive a 3. Even though BMW may well be reducing costs for the sake of making a profit, I feel like the products are still improving. All companies are trying to reduce costs and perdue new revenue opportunities. That is what business is about
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #76
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeah;
Touche. I apologize. It just bothered me that you were so affected by a single comment in an article before even giving your car a chance. You've got a great vehicle there. Screw the break-in period. Go have a blast. I'll look forward to comparing notes with you in future posts. No hard feelings?
No problem. I hope my retort at least made you laugh. Truth is I have been really sick lately and the car has made me smile everytime I drive it. It has made dealing with this sudden illness bearable.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #77
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I hope my retort at least made you laugh. Truth is I have been really sick lately and the car has made me smile everytime I drive it. It has made dealing with this sudden illness bearable.
The sound of that BOV is better than a shot of penicillin any day. Get well soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #78
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The sound of that BOV is better than a shot of penicillin any day. Get well soon!
I met a girl. We went out on a date and she coughed all over me and in my old car. Dr says it's a respiratory infection. Feels like the swine flu. Had that last year. The antibiotics have made me sicker. This has been 10 days of hell.

Anyway I didn't want anyone to think I'm terminally Ill. Please don't start the guynamedsean foundation.

Okay, back to the engines now, until someone attacks me again. Then we will pause to exchange insults, make up, become friends, repeat.

Last edited by Guynamedsean; 09-15-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #79
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Unless you modded your 1, you don't have a BOV.

Or, unless BMW changed something drastically.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #80
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I respect the new tech in the N55, but as an N54 owner I really don't see what's wrong the old engine, especially since it is mated to my not so fast shifting Steptronic does quite well (thanks to a Sprint Booster). I don't own an N55/DCT powered car, let alone test drive one, but I have riden in one and in my honesty I wasn't impressed. DCT felt a very marginal improvement over the Step, though again I added a Sprint Booster (and I personally think any electronic throttle car should have one). I think with time parts will come out for the N55, its inevitable and hopefully the twin scroll will be replaced by a more powerful and cheaper big single turbo. I do agree that BMW most likely used a twin turbo setup for as much of a lag free drive as possibility, but with Valvetronic and twin scroll technology around the twin turbo route most likely proved a bit more costly and was inefficient. Personally both cars feel very similar, just as BMW intended, but I like the fact that my engine shares a similar lineage with Nissan Skyline GT-R, Toyota Supra. I don't hate on the N55, I envy the transmission choice of DCT, but not enough to trade in for one. In my opinion I like the N54 exhaust note better, I have heard the burble from the DCT, its not that exciting. On other note, N54/55 manual would be great. Rode in a manual N54, its so night and day to Step/DCT, it just feels more raw. Oh, one last thing, we're all 1addicts in the end so even though the war over N54/N55 will rage on at least let's remember that we still drive one hell of a car.
      09-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #81
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
I respect the new tech in the N55, but as an N54 owner I really don't see what's wrong the old engine, especially since it is mated to my not so fast shifting Steptronic does quite well (thanks to a Sprint Booster). I don't own an N55/DCT powered car, let alone test drive one, but I have riden in one and in my honesty I wasn't impressed. DCT felt a very marginal improvement over the Step, though again I added a Sprint Booster (and I personally think any electronic throttle car should have one). I think with time parts will come out for the N55, its inevitable and hopefully the twin scroll will be replaced by a more powerful and cheaper big single turbo. I do agree that BMW most likely used a twin turbo setup for as much of a lag free drive as possibility, but with Valvetronic and twin scroll technology around the twin turbo route most likely proved a bit more costly and was inefficient. Personally both cars feel very similar, just as BMW intended, but I like the fact that my engine shares a similar lineage with Nissan Skyline GT-R, Toyota Supra. I don't hate on the N55, I envy the transmission choice of DCT, but not enough to trade in for one. In my opinion I like the N54 exhaust note better, I have heard the burble from the DCT, its not that exciting. On other note, N54/55 manual would be great. Rode in a manual N54, its so night and day to Step/DCT, it just feels more raw. Oh, one last thing, we're all 1addicts in the end so even though the war over N54/N55 will rage on at least let's remember that we still drive one hell of a car.
Very well put. Reset that not so fast shifting transmission of yours and then go for a nice spirited drive so that it can re-adapt it's shift pattern.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #82
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Unless you modded your 1, you don't have a BOV.

Or, unless BMW changed something drastically.
no, you're right, the n55 doesn't have a BOV. it's a diverter valve
Appreciate 0