BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
chris328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Unfortunately many well intentioned people offer there opinion on oil. BMW on the otherhand actually tests the oil in running engines to determine the proper OCI's. They don't guess they use actual engine and oil test data to determine when the oil should be changed. A simple used oil analysis tells you if the oil is still good for use or needs to be changed more often. A UOA is completely objective and very useful to determine when to change the oil as each person's driving situation is different.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328i View Post
Unfortunately many well intentioned people offer there opinion on oil. BMW on the otherhand actually tests the oil in running engines to determine the proper OCI's. They don't guess they use actual engine and oil test data to determine when the oil should be changed. A simple used oil analysis tells you if the oil is still good for use or needs to be changed more often. A UOA is completely objective and very useful to determine when to change the oil as each person's driving situation is different.
.....but don't forget that a proper analysis can also locate adverse wear problems in the motor components.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #25
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
If you have an internal mechanical failure such as a camshaft failure or something, the wear metals will be exceedingly high, but that doesn't tell you anything about how the oil lubricates. The cam failure could be caused by many things unrelated to the oil. .....
True, never said it did. But it can recognize potential impending failure. All I'm saying is the test is good for more than just oil serviceability.
Appreciate 0