BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Window Issue?

Hey guys, excuse my barrage of posts on here. Slowly learning about this car and it's quirks. I have a question regarding the windows, specifically how the window drops a fraction of an inch upon opening the door and then goes back up a fraction of an inch when you close it.

I've begun to notice the passenger side window occasionally won't go down when you open it, leading to it banging against the door frame when you close it (in other words, it doesn't drop like its supposed to, leading to it crashing against the door frame when you close it). If I hit the unlock or lock button, or simply open and close the door gently, the car seems to remember "oh yea, i'm supposed to drop the window a bit when I open the door".

Tried the window reset procedure, and so far it seems fine since doing it. Just a bit concerned about it, as the window hitting the door frame could cause it to shatter at some point. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

I also have issues with my windows. Most of the time they are fine, but every couple of days the windows will slowly start to drop while I drive. The left and right window controls on the driver-side door won't work, preventing me from rolling up or down the windows. I can use the passenger-side door control to roll up the right window, but my left window eventually drops all the way down and I have no way to put it up. I never keep anything in my car, so I just leave my car parked with the glovebox locked. Still, it's a little sketchy. After a couple hours the controls randomly work again and I roll the window back up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Try initializing? This is the procedure from the E90 Bentley:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Initializing Windows

Two parameters are learned during initialization:

- Upper end stop (normalization of the power windows)

- Power characteristic curve for opening and closing (learning the characteristic curve)

The initialization can be carried out using the control switch in each door or the power-window switch block in the driver's door.

The following requirements are necessary for the initialization to be carried:

- Vehicle stationary

- Adequate battery voltage present (12.4 volts), connect vehicle power supply if necessary

- Terminal R (radio readiness) or terminal 15 switched ON (ignition ON)

- All doors closed

Deleting a previous initialization

Deleting an initialization and subsequent re-initialization can remedy sporadic, incorrect shutdowns in one touch operation mode.

Open the window of each door completely. Press and hold the control switch completely (switch position: one touch operation mode) for longer than 15 seconds and less than 20 seconds.

Deletion of the initialization was successful when one touch operation mode is no longer possible for window close function.

Performing initialization

- Fully close window by pulling the switch so that the top end stop is reached (normalization)

- Open the window completely so that the lower end stop is reached

- Pull the control switch into one touch operation, close (one touch operation, close) position and hold it there until the window has reached the top end stop (learning the characteristic curve).

The initialization was successful if the window can be opened and closed without faults in one touch operation mode.
      03-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
PhilipR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Alpine White convertible

Window doesnt go up all the way

Sorry to dredge up this older post but I am a new member and have to post something before I can start a thread apparently...I have an 12 128i vert that has recently recovered from a deer strike. All is well except that now my driver window is about a 1/4inch or so low when it is all the way up. It drops when opening the door as normal but then is a little low and then when closing it doesnt go up far enough to seal well at the roof so a little extra wind noise. I have tried the various "reset/relearn" stuff found here and elsewhere but no love. I guess my next step is back to the shop to see if they can fix it since it was fine prior to hte repairs (fyi, new front headlight, new door shell, new front driver side fender, repaired hood and front skirt and repaired rear quarter. $4k)

frackin woodland pests.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

deer == rat on stilts
      03-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

guys i been having this problem since when i first purchased my 135i 4 years ago and i know what you need to fix it.

like u said the window would stop working l whenever it felt like at times not letting the window go down the half inch it needs to clear the frame and at the same time not even moving or going up or down the problem was very intermittent but it occured alot during night time driving anyways solution

new footwell module was replaced when they replaced my transmission under cpo warranty i never had this problem againn before then it would occur 3 times a week atleast.
Appreciate 0