BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #45
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Just my $.02: Seems like every city in the US has terrible road quality these days. Used to be just up in the northeast, but now they are all going broke and road quality is the first thing to go. It's even spreading to the interstate highways, which is a real drag, so be careful about the aftermarket wheels you buy and stay away from experimenting with the stuff that's made in China. I've bent a couple of OEM wheels before, but never cracked one. And believe me when I tell you I knew it when it happened! Good luck with your warranty. I think you've bought an under spec'd product.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #46
Sdracing
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Interesting. Seems like more than one person has experienced cracks with these wheels. My opinion is a manufacturer should anticipate that the wheels are going to be used on streets with imperfections. I would expect any wheel to be able to withstand a reasonable impact without cracking. This is not say every wheel should be able to withstand a huge pot hole, but I expect a wheel to be able to handle shitty streets, within reason. Basically, the wheel's structural integrity should be somewhat close to OEM equipment, unless the wheel is advertised for off road use only.

Where are these manufactured? Nevermind, it looks like China.

Last edited by Sdracing; 08-14-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: answered own question
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #47
ddigangi
'Murica
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
damn breyton...fail boating

I blog at http://ddigangi.com
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #48
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

FWIW...

I had the same issue and Breyton (as mentioned earlier in the thread) ended up sending me a brand new replacement, free of charge, with free expedited shipping after I sent them pictures. I still have the cracked wheel and will take pictures when I can get to my garage....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #49
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKid View Post
So I go to have my wheels checked out because I'm getting alot of vibration in the car thinking that I've bent some rims...turns out my front two rims are cracked. WTF? I've had these for a few months and never in my 21 years of driving have I ever actually cracked a rim. I try to contact Tire Rack about them and they're giving me the run around of "buy a new set, send us yours and we'll decide if we'll warranty them." RIGHT. Why the hell would I want to buy a second set if these are so cheap that they're cracking after a few months? I've tried to contact Gil via email with no response. I'm really pissed right now. Oh yea...the "tech" that I sent these pictures to said "oh, those are obviously impact fractures. WHERE THE F*CK DO YOU SEE IMPACT MARKS????

And here I thought I was the only one in North America with cracked wheels

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419699

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #50
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
FWIW...

I had the same issue and Breyton (as mentioned earlier in the thread) ended up sending me a brand new replacement, free of charge, with free expedited shipping after I sent them pictures. I still have the cracked wheel and will take pictures when I can get to my garage....
Good to see that TR is standing behind there product.

I am sure BMW will do the same for me

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #51
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdracing View Post
Interesting. Seems like more than one person has experienced cracks with these wheels. My opinion is a manufacturer should anticipate that the wheels are going to be used on streets with imperfections. I would expect any wheel to be able to withstand a reasonable impact without cracking. This is not say every wheel should be able to withstand a huge pot hole, but I expect a wheel to be able to handle shitty streets, within reason. Basically, the wheel's structural integrity should be somewhat close to OEM equipment, unless the wheel is advertised for off road use only.

Where are these manufactured? Nevermind, it looks like China.
In my opinion the young designers (wheel designers in this case) need more first hand field experience. TR is doing some great work as far as testing of tires are concerned. I've read some good stuff about that in BMW Magazines. TR will have my business in future, I have no hesitation about that at all.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #52
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
Just my $.02: Seems like every city in the US has terrible road quality these days. Used to be just up in the northeast, but now they are all going broke and road quality is the first thing to go. It's even spreading to the interstate highways, which is a real drag, so be careful about the aftermarket wheels you buy and stay away from experimenting with the stuff that's made in China. I've bent a couple of OEM wheels before, but never cracked one. And believe me when I tell you I knew it when it happened! Good luck with your warranty. I think you've bought an under spec'd product.
I couldn't agree more.

IMO it is just sad that it seems that it has come to the fact that you cannot buy an aftermarket wheel and expect anything near OEM quality.

I have had some experiences in the past and it is just infuriating spending such a large sum of money in order to only have something fail

regardless if he hit a pothole or not, IMO there is no way you can drive these days and avoid such terrible potholes on the road. Constantly worrying about your aftermarket rims can truly take the joy out of driving any kind of vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #53
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
Don't be a douche, dude. You think all impact marks are visible? Tire Rack isn't going to just GIVE you new wheels unless they look at them. It makes no business sense. If you think this is Tire Rack's fault, consider first that they didn't make the rims. Consider second that shit happens. Consider third that they can't just give people new rims every time something happens. They have to be certain.

If you want anything good to come of this, you should stop being a jackass. Otherwise, nobody is going to listen to you or help you out.
take a step back and look at this from a business aspect. Every person that comes to them with a cracked/bent wheel, there just supposed to send new ones out just because? These are wheels not lightbulbs.