BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Skeptix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

The 135i won't stop leaving my head...

Hello hello!

I'm on the hunt for a new car, I want something faster, something that isn't FWD. I've been looking at EVO's, STI's, Golf R's, and the thought recurring 135i. I currently own a 2011 GTI, which I really have no complaints about. The interior is nice, and I have done a lot of work to it.

Except, I've hit the wall with modding, $6000 later, my car is still slow and is DSG. I need a 6MT, and I have driven my car 40k miles in 14 months. Evo's and STI's are basically out of my decision, because their interior is worse than base model Hyundai Accent. Basically it's down to the R vs 135i. And I think I've fallen in love with the 135i. This car will also not be getting driven the distance my GTI does... a beater will be in the future if this car is.

I have access to auctions, so I think I'll be going that route if this happens. Questions for you 1 owners...

How skeptical should I be of used 6spd 135i's?

N54 or N55? (My sister has an n54 335 that hasn't really had any issues other than the HPFP 5 minutes after she drove off the lot LOL).

How do you guys like your 1? Stock vs tuned(inevitable)?

Any warnings to BMW and 1 rookies?

Thanks for any answers guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Future one owner here and I've had other bmws in the past ive driven both the n54 and n55 (dct) the twin turbo n54 is more tunable as of. Ow and has a higher ceiling for the stock twin turbo set up compared to the single twin scroll on the n55,also many believe the n54 has forged some forged internals, the 6speed 2010 135 I drove was nice but it had a short shifter in it with a clutch delete vault so idk how helpful I can b,if your looking for balls to the wall power I'd say n54 but if you want what seems to be the more reliable motor n55 is my choice good luck with your car buying
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
ahfunaki
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...yet

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Only I drive a 2010 Mazdaspeed3.

Something is just so appealing about the 135i.

And here is a pic of my MS3 since you posted your GTI lol...

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Awesome looking Mazdaspeed3 and Golf.

I was considering an EvoX, a WRX Sti, e46 m3, 335i and 135i before I got my car.

I knew whichever car I purchased, I would modify. No question there. Both WRX, EVO, 335i and 135i are very easily tuned. The N54/n55 cars have a bit of a leg up over the STI/EVO because they are larger engines and are detuned from the factory. I have friends with STI/EVO's that are absolute beasts but they are not as reliable or comfortable as the BMWs.

I love WRX and EVO's but ultimately decided on getting a BMW because I didnt want to get a car I would grow out of. Every once in a while I have to drive clients and the bmw is much more appropriate for that.

Choosing a car out of the 135i, 335i and E46 M3 was a bit more difficult. I love M cars and had always wanted an E46 Since they came out. I decided against the M3 as it was an older car and lacked the warranties available on the 335i and 135i.

I chose not to get a 335I because of the size of the car. It is a gorgeous car but it is quite huge.

I ended up purchasing an 08 135i with 20k miles on it and 1.5 years of warranty. Almost 2 years later, the car has 36k miles on it and has been very reliable and had no issues at all.

I will be honest, the 135i has been a great fun car which has had tons of mod potential, but it hasn't been cheap to get the car to perform to its potential. Looking back, I probably would have been just as pleased with the e46 m3 and likely saved quite a bit of money in the end but I really have enjoyed the process of building my car and 1addicts is a very good forum overall with a solid community of people.

Coming from your GTI, you will not be disappointed at all with the 135i.

Both the N54 and N55 have their advantages. It really boils down to what you want to do with the car. If you want a dependable car that you just want to lightly modify over stock I would suggest an N55 car. They are newer which means most have quite a bit on their warranties. If you are set on DCT, then an N55 will also be the car for you.

If you want more mod potential and/or have more of a limited budget, then an N54 car will be a better choice. With the n54, you will be getting an earlier year car, which will likely mean no warranty and possibly higher mileage. So maintenance costs will be higher. The n54 has a ton of tuning support which for many on here makes it the only choice.

You can't go wrong with either really.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post

True that. If you want something a little more tuner friendly then get the N54. If you want something to modify lighter with a warranty get an N55.

I choose the N54 instead of ordering a bran new 135i and I'm really glad I did. Just rolled over 45K miles and the car has no issues at all. You can also make it unreasonably fast for public roads with way less money than you put into you VW.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I absolutely love my 135i but let me tell yeah the dealership gave me a loaner n55....and man that car is pretty damn fun. But like the other posters up here say, you cant go wrong either way. One is just more reliable than the other. If it were me and i had a few extra grand, i would go with the n55. Not dissing the n54 at all but im basing it off of reliability. Because, honestly, who is planning on doing a single turbo upgrade here?
      12-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

I think you meant for your title to say the 135 thoughts won't leave my head or the 135 thoughts won't stop entering my head lol. At any rate I haven't taken delivery of my 135i yet but having owned 5 other bmws all manual e30 e36 and e46 platforms their manual trannys r pretty solid. Back in the 90s the autos were kinda sketchy but even those are better now and the dct of course is their pride and joy so it's engineered very well I'm sure. I can't really say n54-55 is better than the other. I've driven both and while some swear by the 54 they didn't feel much different to me at all if any. I'd say if ur doing mad modding go 54 if you just want a tune like jb4 n55 is fine and more reliable. If you're in the vw/Audi game then u really don't need any warnings. Expect the same stuff from this car as with those. Electrical crap can be finicky at times. Parts are damn expensive. I'd say tho having owned an Audi a4 for a yr the bmws check engine light dosent come on near as much but it can cuz both these and vws have way more sensors than they need. That's all I got. Side note you will prolly miss your vw interior for awhile. I saw that was one of your complaints with the other cars u named. Not that BMW interior Isent nice cuz it's very nice but u can tell its not an Audi/vw. While I'm a loyal BMW fan ill admit any day of the week that Audi/vw usually have the best styled and crafted interior by far
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

Won't leave my head either unfortunately no BMW dealer wants to sell me one...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

I am about to sell my k04 mk6 to get into a 135i myself....the only "downgrade" is the interior...the mk6 interior is hands down better, but thats not why you buy a 135 haha

even though it is fast for a fwd hatch, I got tired of dumping a ridiculous amount of money into the GTI trying to make it something it wasn't(i missed rwd fun)

since everyone is leaving hatch pictures...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
DwightSchrute
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Package

I came from a 2010 CW on Jacky Cloth interior GTI. Sold it a year later. While the car itself was well thought out and put together, the FWD and oddly jumpy turbo (head knock back action, wtf just want a smooth driving experience) killed it for me. I've owned 12 Volkswagen cars but the newer models these days they don't quite resonate with me anymore.

I then enjoyed a 2004 325ci and 1999 Z3 M Coupe, and knew BMW truly is The Ultimate Driving machine compared to most others!

Loving the 135i with M package
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Awesome looking Mazdaspeed3 and Golf.

I was considering an EvoX, a WRX Sti, e46 m3, 335i and 135i before I got my car.

I knew whichever car I purchased, I would modify. No question there. Both WRX, EVO, 335i and 135i are very easily tuned. The N54/n55 cars have a bit of a leg up over the STI/EVO because they are larger engines and are detuned from the factory. I have friends with STI/EVO's that are absolute beasts but they are not as reliable or comfortable as the BMWs.

I love WRX and EVO's but ultimately decided on getting a BMW because I didnt want to get a car I would grow out of. Every once in a while I have to drive clients and the bmw is much more appropriate for that.

Choosing a car out of the 135i, 335i and E46 M3 was a bit more difficult. I love M cars and had always wanted an E46 Since they came out. I decided against the M3 as it was an older car and lacked the warranties available on the 335i and 135i.

I chose not to get a 335I because of the size of the car. It is a gorgeous car but it is quite huge.

I ended up purchasing an 08 135i with 20k miles on it and 1.5 years of warranty. Almost 2 years later, the car has 36k miles on it and has been very reliable and had no issues at all.

I will be honest, the 135i has been a great fun car which has had tons of mod potential, but it hasn't been cheap to get the car to perform to its potential. Looking back, I probably would have been just as pleased with the e46 m3 and likely saved quite a bit of money in the end but I really have enjoyed the process of building my car and 1addicts is a very good forum overall with a solid community of people.

Coming from your GTI, you will not be disappointed at all with the 135i.

Both the N54 and N55 have their advantages. It really boils down to what you want to do with the car. If you want a dependable car that you just want to lightly modify over stock I would suggest an N55 car. They are newer which means most have quite a bit on their warranties. If you are set on DCT, then an N55 will also be the car for you.

If you want more mod potential and/or have more of a limited budget, then an N54 car will be a better choice. With the n54, you will be getting an earlier year car, which will likely mean no warranty and possibly higher mileage. So maintenance costs will be higher. The n54 has a ton of tuning support which for many on here makes it the only choice.

Exactly all of this, I came to BMW cause I fell in love with the poster I had of the e46M3GTR. Decided turbos would be more fun and opted for an 08 because the previous owner had everything and gave me a steal of a deal. 24k miles with about 1.25 years left of warranty.

I will also reciprocate that the e46M3 would have been ready from the get go and I still stop and stare every time I see one that is well taken care of. For me, the previous owner had already done a couple mods that I would have done anyway like suspension so it really was a no-brainer decision at the time. But as far as reliability goes... my car had some gremlins to work out. The previous owner babied the car, and I have a tendency to drive my cars either at soft or at full tilt and my 1 definitely saw the local dealership more than road time because of it. I could list out the damage that the car incurred under warranty but it'd be easier to throw out that without warranty I'd have about 7k-10k worth of replacement parts. Now that the full set of original parts are pretty much gone(the only internals that held up were the drivetrain and combustion chamber of the engine). PM me if you want a list. Some of these cars are wonderful and some are drunken temperamental girlfriends with pretty faces. In my first year of ownership which was the 4th year of the car's life, the car spent at least 7 days of every single month at the dealership. Me and my SA know each other rather well now because of it and his farewell ended up becoming "Hope to see you soon, but not too soon" just because of the sheer number of times my car was there.

Now that everything has been fixed and my warranty went up last september, she's been an angel. So my warning to you, get one with at least 1 year left of warranty and drive the car at every single driving style that you have for several prolonged sessions. Then get used to the car's noises. Listen for roughness especially in the 2k rev range, that is the biggest indicator of issues with the car (I drive a 6MT, don't know if that'd change on a steptronic). Hearing odd noises helped my dealership fix a ton of seemingly small issues that turned out to be rather large ones.

Good news for you is if you pick an N54 or N55, the 135i, 335i, and maybe 535i with the same engine all share a lot of internal parts like downpipes (for power mods down the road). The maintenance of the e46m3 made me stay away from it and look at what ended up happening to me . In the end, a sharp ear and loving your car is going to save you a huge headache down the road. GL with your decision!

I don't know about where you guys are, but my 135i also gets almost 0 heat. I have had a couple speed detectors aimed right at me where the cop just looked completely confused. No tickets to date and that's why I stayed out of the JDM scene. My old integra would get so much heat in comparison haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Future one owner here and I've had other bmws in the past ive driven both the n54 and n55 (dct) the twin turbo n54 is more tunable as of. Ow and has a higher ceiling for the stock twin turbo set up compared to the single twin scroll on the n55,also many believe the n54 has forged some forged internals, the 6speed 2010 135 I drove was nice but it had a short shifter in it with a clutch delete vault so idk how helpful I can b,if your looking for balls to the wall power I'd say n54 but if you want what seems to be the more reliable motor n55 is my choice good luck with your car buying
no forged internals in the n54, but still a killer engine!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

So has it left your head and entered your driveway?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
no forged internals in the n54, but still a killer engine!
Actually I'm pretty sure a lot of the earlier builds (I can't remember the date) have forged cranks.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Zoorah12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I'm also in the same boat as you... and I also drive a mazdaspeed 3 gen1. I owned two bmw's prior to purchasing the speed and, while I love the car, I'm looking to get back into a bmw; and there really doesn't seem to be a better choice than the 135i. It seems like the n54 engine gets much better power gains mod for mod, my speed 3 is making 300whp and I have put in a fair amount of work; i've seen the 135i hit 300whp with just a stage 1 tune with the cobb ap; pretty amazing
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptix View Post
Hello hello!

I'm on the hunt for a new car, I want something faster, something that isn't FWD. I've been looking at EVO's, STI's, Golf R's, and the thought recurring 135i. I currently own a 2011 GTI, which I really have no complaints about. The interior is nice, and I have done a lot of work to it.

Except, I've hit the wall with modding, $6000 later, my car is still slow and is DSG. I need a 6MT, and I have driven my car 40k miles in 14 months. Evo's and STI's are basically out of my decision, because their interior is worse than base model Hyundai Accent. Basically it's down to the R vs 135i. And I think I've fallen in love with the 135i. This car will also not be getting driven the distance my GTI does... a beater will be in the future if this car is.

I have access to auctions, so I think I'll be going that route if this happens. Questions for you 1 owners...

How skeptical should I be of used 6spd 135i's?

N54 or N55? (My sister has an n54 335 that hasn't really had any issues other than the HPFP 5 minutes after she drove off the lot LOL).

How do you guys like your 1? Stock vs tuned(inevitable)?

Any warnings to BMW and 1 rookies?

Thanks for any answers guys!
I jumped to my 135 almost 3 years ago from a 2009 GTI, which I loved. Ended up getting rid of it due to some transmission and reliability issues that I was having with it. Personally I have an N55 and I love it, no complaints. Especially now that mods are becoming available and tunes I would say go with that. You wont regret it!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Sarge135
Semper FI!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I loved my MK6! I miss it. I had all APR mods on it. But I didn't want a 4 door anymore..

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoorah12 View Post
I'm also in the same boat as you... and I also drive a mazdaspeed 3 gen1. I owned two bmw's prior to purchasing the speed and, while I love the car, I'm looking to get back into a bmw; and there really doesn't seem to be a better choice than the 135i. It seems like the n54 engine gets much better power gains mod for mod, my speed 3 is making 300whp and I have put in a fair amount of work; i've seen the 135i hit 300whp with just a stage 1 tune with the cobb ap; pretty amazing
True. But keep in mind the 135i is rated at 40 more hp that than the speed3, so naturally it hits 300whp more easily.

But yes, the 135i responds better than the speed3 bolt on to bolt on. The car can become a beast for relatively little money
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

I love my 1er, i've done the tuner econobox thing for years, Cobalt SS, SRT4, RSX-S, etc and im so happy being in a RWD car now. The GTI is a great car focused on practicality, quality and some performance. Moving to a 1er you might find a downgrade in the interior a bit (depends on options) and practicality (2 door). These are easily made up for by the overall quality, driving feel and performance of the 1er.

I had the option to buy a 2012 STI or my 09 135i. So glad I chose the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptix View Post
1) N54 or N55? (My sister has an n54 335 that hasn't really had any issues other than the HPFP 5 minutes after she drove off the lot LOL).
2) How do you guys like your 1? Stock vs tuned(inevitable)?
3) Any warnings to BMW and 1 rookies?
1) Depends what you want to do. N54 responds better to modifications. N55 is newer.
2) I like it. Stock it was still a fast little car, and tuned it's even faster. Have yet to dyno it though and take it to the track when tuned.
3) Know about maintenance. When something happens it usually costs more than it would a Honda/Acura or something along those lines. I had a misfire on cylinder 6 recently so I changed out the spark plugs. Still misfire. Ended up being the injector. Cost me about $600 for the first shop to diagnose the car (including oil change, labor, parts). The mechanic has never changed injectors out of this motor before so I towed it to a performance shop ($280). After the performance shop diagnosed the car, labor, injector (injector itself was $295); it cost me $970 at the performance shop. Granted I learned my lesson to not go to the first place again because they are a little bit of a rip off, and decide to go to my family mechanic from now on if I come across a similar issue again. But just know that OEM parts for this car are not really cheap (best I have heard was $1000 for new 6 injectors), and if you are mechanically inclined and know about BMW motors, that's a plus. Also is harder to find a reputable shop that knows about this motor and has worked on it before, so take that into consideration as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #21
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

I was in the same spot as you. I even had a GTI though it was a little older than yours. When i was looking to replace it, i test drove a 135 and since that test drive it was stuck on my mind. I tried other cars but i ended up buying a 135 and havent looked back.
Appreciate 0