BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Anyone have the OEM Alpine Hifi System upgrade?

Thoughts on it vs HK? Looks sweet and comes with new moldings and everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
ucsbshawn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, 135i, 320i

I have it, love it! Compared to my buddy's 335 HK it's pretty close. No reference to 1 series HK though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Damn. I used the search thread tool here didnt' find anything but google search did. Here's a result pretty good writeup. Not much on vs the HK system though.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505654
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

It's certainly way better than the base system. You do need to get the radio re-programmed, so consider that in your total cost. Can't comment on a comparison to the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

I had it fitted by the dealer. Massive improvement on the OEM system, it's rich and crisp and no longer plays at plum level.

My only criticism is that the two rear speakers are effectively rendered useless as the D-series amp only feeds the front, sub and installed tweeters so there is no enveloping sound from behind.

If you find a way to make the rear speakers involved without replacing the amp let me know.
      06-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I stuck some HK tweeters in the rear and it lifted the sound back there quite nicely.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I upgraded my 135i from base to Alpine and I have the HK in my 1M. The Alpine is an awesome upgrade but the HK is a different level...
      06-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I upgraded my 135i from base to Alpine and I have the HK in my 1M. The Alpine is an awesome upgrade but the HK is a different level...
I just had a 2014 535i GT as a loaner. It had the HK stereo. I wasn't impressed. I don't know why BMW doesn't think it's important to put a good stereo in their vehicles.
      06-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
I just had a 2014 535i GT as a loaner. It had the HK stereo. I wasn't impressed. I don't know why BMW doesn't think it's important to put a good stereo in their vehicles.
Did you tune the EQ at all while you had this loaner? The reason I ask is most people don't look at this when judging a given sound system in a situation like this. They may or may not have their own car's system tuned to their liking, but in either case, they're used to one thing and so they get in some random car, turn up the volume, and say "Well, this thing sucks" when there's a very good possibility someone has jacked with it and made it sound terrible or it's set to flat EQ and that sounds terrible to you because you have certain, at minimum, bass and treble settings (just basic stuff) set in your own vehicle. I was "ok" with HK in my 135 when I started to drive it 2.5 hrs. home after buying it, but I found all the EQ adjustments I could make to it during the journey home with my friend and after playing around a short while, I grew to like it more.

I am not, by any means, stating here that the HK is superior to the Alpine or anything else on the market in terms of OEM "premium stereo systems" and playing fanboi here (not that I don't have options on them, though), just stating what I know from observing people IRL making judgements in similar situations like I've outlined above. I'm no professional at tuning sound systems, but I know what I like in terms of sound and how to manipulate various sound systems' EQ bands (if and when those adjustments are available) to manipulate the sound to my liking. I make these adjustments to everything I am calling out a judgement upon.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Did you tune the EQ at all while you had this loaner? The reason I ask is most people don't look at this when judging a given sound system in a situation like this. They may or may not have their own car's system tuned to their liking, but in either case, they're used to one thing and so they get in some random car, turn up the volume, and say "Well, this thing sucks" when there's a very good possibility someone has jacked with it and made it sound terrible or it's set to flat EQ and that sounds terrible to you because you have certain, at minimum, bass and treble settings (just basic stuff) set in your own vehicle. I was "ok" with HK in my 135 when I started to drive it 2.5 hrs. home after buying it, but I found all the EQ adjustments I could make to it during the journey home with my friend and after playing around a short while, I grew to like it more.

I am not, by any means, stating here that the HK is superior to the Alpine or anything else on the market in terms of OEM "premium stereo systems" and playing fanboi here (not that I don't have options on them, though), just stating what I know from observing people IRL making judgements in similar situations like I've outlined above. I'm no professional at tuning sound systems, but I know what I like in terms of sound and how to manipulate various sound systems' EQ bands (if and when those adjustments are available) to manipulate the sound to my liking. I make these adjustments to everything I am calling out a judgement upon.
I played around with the treble and bass but did not take the time to tune it. I was expecting something better sounding in a $75,000 car. I might have been a little negative driving the car on the whole because the ride height was very high, the steering sucked, I could not feel anything. Plus, it was way to big for my liking. I am grateful I got it as a loaner but it was something I definitely would not buy.
      06-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
C135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M sport BMW PPK1

Garage List
2013 135i  [0.00]
I personally think the best option is to just purchase a harness from Technic and replace the OEM amp with a JL Audio XD600/6. That alone will bring your system to a completely different level. The factory hi-fi speakers surprisingly sound pretty good once you get more power and they are properly crossed over.

I went that route and also dropped in a Rockford Fosgate T500 power series amp pushing a couple 10 inch Fosgate P2's.

Totally blown away on it! Sounds amazing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
C135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M sport BMW PPK1

Garage List
2013 135i  [0.00]
If you wanted to upgrade your speakers these look to be an excellent choice. I was going to drop these in but I'm perfectly happy with the stock speakers being pushed by the JL.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t3-bmw1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
I played around with the treble and bass but did not take the time to tune it. I was expecting something better sounding in a $75,000 car. I might have been a little negative driving the car on the whole because the ride height was very high, the steering sucked, I could not feel anything. Plus, it was way to big for my liking. I am grateful I got it as a loaner but it was something I definitely would not buy.
I understand. You'll find that if you tune the actual EQ Band in conjunction with the Treble and Bass on the HK, the sound can get significantly better. I felt the same as you when I first got the car and only played with the Treble and Bass. It was good, but I wasn't blown away either considering what I know it costs as an added option (I bought used CPO, so no money really lost on my part in that respect). Then I discovered the actual EQ adjustments and I liked it even more. Still doesn't blow me away, though. I will say it's better than 99% of the Bose systems I've heard in various makes. For me, the HK option was a must...only for the reason that I know they sound "good enough" for me and I was just plain tired of doing audio upgrades to cars I own (not that there isn't this little gremlin in my head considering an integrated sub in the trunk.)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Did you tune the EQ at all while you had this loaner?
This. It sounds terrible if you don't tune it...