BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #45
Yoot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Here is where Sadlier (pronounced as Sad Liar) loses his credibility.

"For the driving enthusiast who wants the complete package at this price point, the 328i is where it's at."

What driving enthusiast would want a longer, heavier and slower car? That shows he doesn't understand what constitutes a driving enthusiast. I know of no one who would choose a 328i over a 135i for a day of driving fun. No one!
      01-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

The car will always be compared to the 3 series and little else. The $4K-$5K price difference is forgotten because if you over option the 1 series, that difference vaporizes. People seem to forget to compare the price point to the Infinity G37 and Lexus IS350. Other items:
- The 1 series does not handle better than the 3 series but it is smaller and that counts unless you just drive interstates
- I used to think the 1 series and 3 series had the same quality interior materials. They don't. (after owning your 1, go sit in a 3. The 3 is nicer)
- I still don't understand 'ugly'. I think the car looks great. Interesting how the human brain varies in perception and how people are willing to declare a very subjective value to be absolute.
- The head room in back is fine. Leg room is challenged. Part of the compromise of a smaller car. They chose not to impact room up front or room in the trunk which were, for me, absolutely the right choices.
- Younger people like the 1 series better because that is the target market and the design choices and styling were geared towards that market. Would be interesting to know the reviewers age.
      01-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Here are my two cents...

Some complain about the 3's interior being to luxurious and want BMW to go back to a pure drivers car....Presto we have the 1 series. Now people bash it for not being luxurious enough? I don't get it.

The 1 series is meant to be modded and tracked. The current 3 series is for driving around town.

As far looks, I am glad the 1er doesn't look like everything else on the road.

:iono:
Well said. Personally I find the lower end 3 series horribly dull looking. Have you guys ever come from the back of the 1 at night and seen the display on the lights--they look ultra cool. The back end styling and the front arch of the grill make it miles sexier than the 3, even the M3's in some cases.

However, there are versions of the 1 and even angles that look pretty ugly. I've gone back and forth myself on it, especially the side of the car.

It's also a bit small. The backseats are almost useless.

Having said that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. Every day of the week I LOVE driving it and it gets MAD looks from the ladies. The brakes and handling are superb, just superb.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #48
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
I hope not because in that case it's blown out of the water. The Z4 is BMW's competitor in that market, not the 1-series. If anything, the G37 is the 1's closest competitor, in which case it's a very close call between the two.
Well it is the case, otherwise why would the media be doing these comparisons in such a market? Fifth Gear did a 135 v. Cayman S shootout, Motor Trend did a 135 v. EVO X comparison, Edmunds did a 135 v. 370Z comparison, etc. etc., (though I do agree that the G37 is a close competitor due to being a FR Coupe).

Quote:
Not for 40K. Perhaps a Kia.
Or an Acura TL

Quote:
So you're saying I should drop $40K on a car that can't hang with its competitors (According to you, the Cayman, 350/70Z, Z4, etc.) and then spend even more money just to bring the handling up to par?

I don't know about you but most people aren't going to by a brand new car and then swap out the entire suspension. If nothing else, it's a waste. You've got a brand new "M-tuned" suspension that YOU PAID FOR and now you're going to pay TO GET RID OF IT and pay for a whole other suspension to replace it.

If that's the case, I would rather save up for another year and get an M3.
Since when could the 135 not hang with those so-called competitors anyway? The numbers have always been pretty decent for the 1er, it's just the blog post reviewer didn't like its handling feel. I also think what 993 911 was getting to was that if the handling bothers you that much (if that is your opinion) and you love everything else about the car, there is always the option out there to remove that shortcoming. It might not be logical considering how much money you'll end up spending, but if you're passionate over something, logic and reason typically goes out the window.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #49
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Just make a few cosmetic changes to the car, and it looks very aggressive. :smile:
Attached Images

01-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #50
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

I like the side skirts with the scoops in them. is that an available aftermarket part for the 135i?
      01-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #51
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
If anything, the G37 is the 1's closest competitor, in which case it's a very close call between the two.
People will cross-shop the two but the g37 is aimed at the 3-series coupe, not the 1-series.

The funny thing is, there is more usable interior space in a 1-series than a g35/g37 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #52
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
I like the side skirts with the scoops in them. is that an available aftermarket part for the 135i?
Yes - Everything you see is a Genuine BMW part.
      01-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #53
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

In my opinion, some cars are perfect in stock form, some not.

When I bought the 135, I bought specs and potential.

The suspension was too soft, not communicative enough (steering feel), the car was too high, a little too slow and wasn't loud enough (I like to hear the engine roar).

But still I bought it with the biggest smile ever.

Throw in some good coilovers, a tune (JB3 or else), exhaust system, intake, clutch valve and tinted windows (exactly what I did) and you've got a SERIOUS car.

I understand modding is not for everyone. Some like it when it's perfect in stock form. Well to those, the 1 might not be the best option for you. For performance, go with the EVO of STI. For the luxury, go with the 3 or Lexus IS or Mercedes C series.

But for those looking for a complete package of performance, luxury and fun under 40k and that are ready to throw in an extra 3-4k for mods, the 1 is the best out there... and I tired quite a lot of cars.

The STI has performance, but no refinement
Same with the EVO
The 370z is great, but luxury is missing
The G37 is too big and not enough fun
The Lexus IS-F is too big and heavy
The M3, RS4 and 911, too expensive
The Mustang, too slow, no refinement, well it doesn't have much really...

And to those who say it's ugly, well it can't please everyone and believe me, with the mods stated above you won't mind. (even if I only get GREAT compliment on looks).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #54
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
People will cross-shop the two but the g37 is aimed at the 3-series coupe, not the 1-series.

The funny thing is, there is more usable interior space in a 1-series than a g35/g37 coupe.
I cross-shopped the 1 and the G37 and I totally agree. The G37 has far less headroom in the backseat and less interior room in general. Even though it is smaller inside, it drives like a much bigger car than the 1 (more like a 3). The price was almost identical although the 1s options were a tiny bit more.

I don't understand why people always say it's not that much cheaper than a 3. A 335 coupe is $6,000 more expensive, that's a big deal for a car where you don't really get much more and many would claim you get less.
      01-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #55
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I was actually considering getting the 135i and upgrading the suspension. I would rather have the 1 than a 3 unless we're talking Ms, but it was going to run me mid 40s, not even counting the labor for the new suspension. There are better cars to be had for that price point.

There are more luxurious cars for that price, better equipped cars for the price, better performing cars for the price, etc. Take that new 370Z ($30K) and invest $10K into it (To bring it to the 135's price point). You're telling me it wouldn't smoke a 135 in every respect and run laps around it?
I agree that there are more luxurious cars, better equipped cars, better performing cars but there is NO car at that price point that is better in all categories (or even two of them). The 1 is much more fun to drive and better performing than the Lexus, much more luxurious than the Evo, STI, or 370Z. It's faster than the G37.

Your 370Z may be faster with $10,000 worth of mods but it still won't be a luxurious car. And while we are modding spend $375 on a JB3 and the 1 will be faster than your heavily modded 370Z. Add a little more for suspension mods and it will be better handling too. And still look a lot better.

The 135 started at under $36,000. How did you get to the mid-40s without even the labor for a suspension upgrade? You don't really need all those options BMW tries to push on you (the premium package is a waste). is the $30,000 370Z you are comparing similarly equipped?
      01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #56
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Take that new 370Z ($30K) and invest $10K into it (To bring it to the 135's price point). You're telling me it wouldn't smoke a 135 in every respect and run laps around it?
The 370z's are out and prices are available (at least at Chicago area dealers) and most are running in the high 30's. I just looked at most the dealers inventories within 75 miles of me for this info. Most dealers only have 1, many others have none (at least showing on the net), and after making a few calls, most are not on the showroom floors yet. The sale-scrooksidiotsjerks all, without exception, said they just came in today, I talked to 5 different dealerships.

A touring with sport package, which is exactly what I would be looking for, is at the closest dealer to me. Unfortunately it's the same dealer that literally tried to rip me off for a $1000.00 when I was in negotiations for my Xterra, so there's no going back there LOL.

On the other hand, if we did go back in, it may stress them out because we gave them a TON of crap for trying to pull that stunt on us. Maybe they will be on the defensive?!?!

Could be entertaining, I think I will go up there...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #57
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
The 370z's are out and prices are available (at least at Chicago area dealers) and most are running in the high 30's. I just looked at most the dealers inventories within 75 miles of me for this info. Most dealers only have 1, many others have none (at least showing on the net), and after making a few calls, most are not on the showroom floors yet. The sale-scrooksidiotsjerks all, without exception, said they just came in today, I talked to 5 different dealerships.

A touring with sport package, which is exactly what I would be looking for, is at the closest dealer to me. Unfortunately it's the same dealer that literally tried to rip me off for a $1000.00 when I was in negotiations for my Xterra, so there's no going back there LOL.

On the other hand, if we did go back in, it may stress them out because we gave them a TON of crap for trying to pull that stunt on us. Maybe they will be on the defensive?!?!

Could be entertaining, I think I will go up there...
370z pricing, all MSRP

base =$30k
base+sport = $33k
touring =$35k
touring+sport = $38k

I'd get a base with the sports package but would wait until I could get it for "invoice". A RWD car being released in the middle of winter combined with the economy and I wouldn't think I'd have to wait too long.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #58
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

I had a woman come up to me at work today and tell me my car was "gorgeous". Last week another called it a "chic magnet".

Yeah, I'm thinking that holds a little more weight than this "review".

Honestly, I've never understood the "1 is ugly" opinion. But then if I did maybe I wouldn't be driving one today.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #59
Tochenzo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1998 328i  [10.00]
The author made some valid points...but to each their own, personally I think the 1 series looks great and haven't had a single comment regarding the car looking bad. Reminds me of a revamped e36, which is still my favorite bmw body style.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #60
Yoot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

While the One is certainly not beyond reproach, this is an incompetent review. It does not provide a public service since it's biases are not in line with those of an experienced driver or car aficionado. It is simply a style review.

I don't disagree that the 328i is the best choice for most people. But I believe this article was written only to collect a paycheck. There are some reviewers that shouldn't be defended. This guy is one of them.
      01-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #61
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
I mean inferior to the 3, which it is in almost every respect, from snob appeal to interior room to handling performance. Is it not?
With incentives and general bargaining power, a 335 coupe is more expensive than 135 in my area. That and you are bound to find the 3 you want, no ordering/waiting necessary.

The 3 wins in snob appeal, granted.

The 1 has more rear headroom, go figure.

The 1 handles better, both cars are soft.

The 1 performs better in the 1/4, slalom, skidpad, and track. Both cars are fun, but need work to really shine.

Quote:
3-grand less for a car that's inferior in almost every respect except the engine isn't very reasonable. The 1 should be more of a people's car than it is. Make it a BMW GTI as opposed to a baby 3-series.
They have the same engine.. It isn't a volkswagen. Its a driver's car, small market by design.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #62
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

The guy is halucinating... What total joke review. Comparing his 328 to 135 lolol!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #63
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I was actually considering getting the 135i and upgrading the suspension. I would rather have the 1 than a 3 unless we're talking Ms, but it was going to run me mid 40s, not even counting the labor for the new suspension. There are better cars to be had for that price point.

There are more luxurious cars for that price, better equipped cars for the price, better performing cars for the price, etc. Take that new 370Z ($30K) and invest $10K into it (To bring it to the 135's price point). You're telling me it wouldn't smoke a 135 in every respect and run laps around it?
First the new Z is not 30k the way you'd want it and the 1 doesn't have to be 40k, especially if you plan on upgrading the suspension, then you don't need the sport package.

Please give me better example than the Z (which has no luxury, refinement, etc.) that compares to the 1 for that price. Remember I talked about the complete package, not just performance.

Plus adding 10k on the Z (which I guess you were talking about a turbo or sc upgrade) would make the car far from stock, heavily modified and subject to engine failure. You might have to adjust it frequently as most car with aftermarket turbo, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #64
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

This thread makes me laugh, repeatedly.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #65
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaf_666 View Post
First the new Z is not 30k the way you'd want it and the 1 doesn't have to be 40k, especially if you plan on upgrading the suspension, then you don't need the sport package.

Please give me better example than the Z (which has no luxury, refinement, etc.) that compares to the 1 for that price. Remember I talked about the complete package, not just performance.

Plus adding 10k on the Z (which I guess you were talking about a turbo or sc upgrade) would make the car far from stock, heavily modified and subject to engine failure. You might have to adjust it frequently as most car with aftermarket turbo, etc.

haha I have to laugh at the Z has no luxury or refinement. I would consider it much more refined than the 350 model and with the better material maybe a little more luxury.

If you compare prices to both cars with similar options the Z will always cost at least 5k less than the 135i. I would want a loaded touring Z and your talking upper 30's. If i get a 135i, I want a lot of options so we are talking mid 40's...

Its only worth debating if you are in the market for both cars, which means you could care less about passenger space in the rear.

I won't even start on your modification portion. Any car you modify is going to be less reliable than a stock car, that is an undeniable fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #66
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

notice he bitches about the tall cabin and then bitches about how he cant fit in the backseat. what a dumbass

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0