E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is it possible that the e90 will NEVER get a real iPod connector?

12-31-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Is it possible that the e90 will NEVER get a real iPod connector?

I am incredibly close to purchasing a 330xi with navigation, but the current iPod solution of using the auxillary port is almost a dealbreaker for me. I really would like track and playlist control through the navigation screen and steering wheel controls, and display of the track name on the navigation screen would be nice as well.

I can live with a delay until BMW or an aftermarket manufacturer releases a solution, but is it possible or likely (because of the unique characteristics of this setup, e.g. MOST) that this connector will never actually be released?

Any info would be greatly appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You will be waiting a long time before a full interface comes out.
      12-31-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Really? Why would BMW let this happen? No one is working on aftermarket parts? Not even Icelink anymore?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
Really? Why would BMW let this happen? No one is working on aftermarket parts? Not even Icelink anymore?
The E46 interface kind of sucked and it only works with the iPod dock connector. Apple changes iPod designs every week (don't get me wrong, I love my iPod) so you run the risk of not being compatible in the future.
I too would love a complete interface but I think BMW just played it safe with an input that will work for any and all players.
      12-31-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a E90 one

Unfortunately this one is NOT for cars with Bluetooth or Bluetooth preparation or cars with Logic 7( they are apparently still working on that one )

You dont see the tracks on the Nav, but on a little screen that is added to the top of the dash

You can control the ipod through the steering wheel

The ipod get power through a dock in the armrest, and the dock is also connected to the aux input

Part number is 65 41 0 404 330
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:03 AM   #6
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

wow

wow, im not trying to be an a**hole here but are you saying that you wouldnt get one of the best cars in the world just because you cant control your ipod on it? some people just cant be satisfied huh...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
I am incredibly close to purchasing a 330xi with navigation, but the current iPod solution of using the auxillary port is almost a dealbreaker for me. I really would like track and playlist control through the navigation screen and steering wheel controls, and display of the track name on the navigation screen would be nice as well.

I can live with a delay until BMW or an aftermarket manufacturer releases a solution, but is it possible or likely (because of the unique characteristics of this setup, e.g. MOST) that this connector will never actually be released?

Here is my opinion on this: I give it 6 mos. to a year. Within that time either Dension, BMW or both will have something.

Given my industry knowledge in this area (I´m an industry analyst in addition to writing for BMW publications), I would say my opinion is fairly realitistic: of course I wish the answer were ,,tomorrow`` but...

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oofie
wow, im not trying to be an a**hole here but are you saying that you wouldnt get one of the best cars in the world just because you cant control your ipod on it? some people just cant be satisfied huh...
To some poeple, music is more important than driving pleaure! To each his own :-)

What cars do have "full" ipod compatablitly, where you can see the songs, use your steering wheel or radio controls?

You can get a bluetooth adapter for your ipod, which might be able to connect through your radio?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I agree with Oofie. I use my iPod with the Aux port and although it would certainly be nice to control it via the steering wheel and see the tracks, it is still much better than no iPod at all.

You should search the audio thread, as some members have come up with some nice creative solutions. My favorite is the remote attached to the hand brake lever. If it were painted black, that would be pretty good.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
mhoutman
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i/E91 325i Touring

It is my opinion that - considering current tech info - BMW will never release a iPod connection kit which connect to Nav Pro/Bluetooth/ LOGIC7/CD Changer equipped cars. we do have to live with the AUX "solution"
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #11
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
To some poeple, music is more important than driving pleaure! To each his own :-)

What cars do have "full" ipod compatablitly, where you can see the songs, use your steering wheel or radio controls?

You can get a bluetooth adapter for your ipod, which might be able to connect through your radio?
I know that every person has different preferences, thats why i stated a disclaimer

As far as I know, there's no car out yet (somebody correct me if im wrong) that has full Ipod compatibility, meaning you could see the tracks on your radio. So I guess the OP wouldnt be getting any car anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mercedes has full integration available - you can use steering wheel controls and the track names appear on the driver display.

Audi has near-full integration available - you can use steering wheel controls but track names don't appear on the driver display.

Of the 3, BMW is the only manufacturer that still requires you to actually use the iPod to change tracks.

Yes, I adore the 3-Series, but that's a major sticking point for me. Hopefully I can get over it ... or hopefully BMW (or Dension) will release a solution!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
JBM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi . . .

Actually, Honda/Acura has full iPod integration with ID3 tags displayed on the head unit or nav screen plus steering wheel and voice control of the iPod (only one to have it).

And yes, Mercedes, VW, Audi and Toyota/Scion have full integration.

I can understand the original poster's opinion. Although I am happy with my 3 series, I do wish there was more technology for the user experience available (e.g. better nav, 6 disc in-dash CD player, iPod integration, better human interface in general). Although the driving experience is great and 2nd to none, the whole car experience could be improved.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
domoftvandnav2go
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Cool Is it possible that the e90 will NEVER get a real iPod connector?

Hi bsjd00
1/2 of your dream is possible. You will have to use my RGB interface to display whatever you want on the screen and the Alpine Vhub to let you display the names of the songs on the screen. The only part that is NOT possible is steering wheel controls.
Thanks Dominic of www.TVandNav2Go.com

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Since there isn't an industry standard for controlling portable devices (see how well Bluetooth is working out?) a simple aux input is better than nothing. Not everyone uses an Ipod, and not everyone wants to pay for the engineering, jacking up the MSRP. I'm sure they looked at the number of sales to be gained, and probably decided it wasn't worth the cost.
Aftermarket is more likely.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Also, I should add that you will have iDrive w/ a DVD drive which can hold alot of MP3s...you will also have full track displays and controls.

IMHO, screw Apple for releasing a new iPod every 3 months -- thats enough to scare even the biggest car makers into using an AUX port. I used to *worry* about the integration but I am doing just fine without it.
      01-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #17
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Northerncalguy, I think your post answers a question I asked earlier in a separate post - that no one has responded to yet - that the DVD player attached to the navigation system really does play MP3's.

Are there any drawbacks to using a DVD loaded with MP3's? Examples: is there a limit to how many songs you can have on the DVD, are track names truncated, can you use any bitrate up to 320k, can you use rewritable disks, etc.?

I've run searches but haven't been able to find solid information. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #18
bmwnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am a true techie. I mean true techie in every sense of the word. Not a dork or geek but a true techie. LOL. One problem that I did notice is when I play mp3 Cd's in my regular cd player on the navi it doesn't seem to display the track name and title via ID3 tag until it gets to the song. The list that you see is based on the filename initially and when it goes to a song and plays it then it lists the artists and track name. Now I know this should be doable talk about BMW being lazy in this department. I'm not sure if the DVD player does this with mp3s.

Next on the IPOD connector. IPOD's are hot and have been for the past two years but as with everything in technology this is a temporary factor. I actually like the fact that there is an aux port instead of an IPOD connector. #1 your not limited to the technology presented by an IPOD. #2 You have endless possiblities of connecting whatever devices you own.

One option that you can look at is the IPOD airclick which is a control that supposedly can be mounted onto the steering wheel now I haven't gotten this yet so I can't vouch for the whole mounting part of it. In my opinion what I see happening is the possbility of having an airclick with and lcd display that will display your artist names and track titles. You have that there is your full IPOD intergration in you bmw and any other car you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Ok, but why did they stop it for the new 3-series. this is the compatibility list:

3 Series 2002-2005 (Explicitly excluding 2006!!!!)
All X3
X5 2002+
Z4 All
M3 2002+
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

what happens to your car with "full integration" when the next ipod has a different connecter on the bottom of it????

you've got a connector that's obsolete, just like an 8 track deck
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Well surely that is my risk to take just like any of the other x hundred dollar accessories you can buy. And I'm sure people would make adaptors if it came to it. However for now I am stuck with a an aux in which is better than nothing. I am concerned that I won't be able to fit a power adaptor in the armrest and close it as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #22
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I actually like the fact that there is an aux port instead of an IPOD connector. #1 your not limited to the technology presented by an IPOD. #2 You have endless possiblities of connecting whatever devices you own.
There is no reason why they could not give us both the aux and the ipod connector. If I had a choice, I prefer the aux, but I would also use the ipod connector if it would have been an option.
Appreciate 0