BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #23
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Heh, me too.

Knowing me, by christmas, I'll be looking to put money down on the next 'it' car.

Or maybe take Way's C63 from him.....

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #24
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

The tii will be out by then. Hopefully with a DKG transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #25
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Ok if a Tii comes out, my car will be up for sale.

Kris, the new TT/S3 has a completely different chassis from yours. It's world apart. It's actually a decent drive too.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Thankyou all again for the responses and input, alot there that I can relate too :smile:

As for the 'newer' or current TT it does have a different chassis and make up or build to the old one and everybody who's driven it, says it's much, much better than the old one, that said the AWD variants don't actually have the 'quattro' AWD set up, they feature the 'bora' 4 motion, which is not as capable, but has a lower power loss through the drivetrain.

This new TT/S combines the 2.0ltr turbo with AWD but a different system again (electronic SAAB set up)...I've read the future TT/RS 'might' feature the quattro AWD system ??

Anyways back to the 135i, I'm in the same boat now as airhead, ie: if I order sometime soon and have to wait for 8-10 months or more to take delivery I may very well have changed my mind by then...:iono: there could be something by then that's better ?? and I still wouldn't have got my hands on this thing

As MMMMM3 mentioned, I too would love the idea of having a DKG equipped Beemer, as I definitely want auto and these modern age 'automated manuals' are the way to go IMHO.

If we are going to see tii models of the 1 series and an M1 eventually, what would be the price ranges of these variants ???

I'd guess they will be alot more expensive than the 135i....most likely well north of 100k...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 02:42 AM   #27
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

If a Tii with roll cage etc is released for $100k+, still count me in...unless I have already spent too much money on my mods and I am happy with the way the car is.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Is a tii going to be $30k+ more fun/better than a 135i? I am still unsure what the tii badge is suppose to entail.

The next car I am personally looking forward to from BMW is the 2009/10 Z4 M coupe (hopefully will be released).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #29
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Wraith, regarding your current dilemma - maybe you should then hunt for some floor stock. Dealers do have stock sitting around. Don't be afraid to call outside of your state either - as it's a new car it's nearly the same as pre-ordering but you get it sooner. I'm sure you'll find a dealer who has a model to your liking (or uber close) if you look across VIC/NSW.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the tii version, if infact it does come out. At current it was just a protype to show what can be done with the 135i in terms of a performance orientated vehicle. If it does go into production the tii from my understanding will be a more track orientated car, with a high revving 4 cylinder engine from what I've heard on the rumour mill. Similar to BMW's HP2 Sport motorbike or M3 CSL, I have the feeling half the price will be purely in the exclusivity of owning one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #30
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
I've got the TTS pricelist from Audi in front of me, $92,900 up to $100,700 for the roadster.

There's not $20 - 30k more car in the TTS. The engine is harsh compared to the 135i, the dynamics aren't nearly as good and the driving position sucks. On the other hand, Audi's interior is in a league of it's own, better quality materials, AWD grip and it's a nicer looking car.

Hate to use a cliche here but the 135i felt like the better "drivers" car (compared to the S3 which is more or less the same car as the TTS).
I think you guys are way overpricing this.
The TT/S is a 265hp 4 cylinder car with quattro.
0-60 is slower than our 135i

I'm almost certain the US pricing will be 48-55k for this car.

I chose the 135i over the TT/S for some of these reasons.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #31
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_VR6 View Post
I think you guys are way overpricing this.
The TT/S is a 265hp 4 cylinder car with quattro.
0-60 is slower than our 135i

I'm almost certain the US pricing will be 48-55k for this car.

I chose the 135i over the TT/S for some of these reasons.
Check the regionality of this thread :wink:

You get the 13 for $35k. We get it for $71k+AUD. Aren't we almost on currency parity now as well?

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #32
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Check the regionality of this thread :wink:

You get the 13 for $35k. We get it for $71k+AUD. Aren't we almost on currency parity now as well?

Very true, that just sucks - the price we pay for cars here in Aust. is around x2 or more what U.S people pay with a similar currency value ATM, I won't even mention the difference on fuel prices...

If I were in the U.S I'd be buying the new R35 GT-R for 80k, wish we had prices like that over here
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #33
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
Wraith, regarding your current dilemma - maybe you should then hunt for some floor stock. Dealers do have stock sitting around. Don't be afraid to call outside of your state either - as it's a new car it's nearly the same as pre-ordering but you get it sooner. I'm sure you'll find a dealer who has a model to your liking (or uber close) if you look across VIC/NSW.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the tii version, if infact it does come out. At current it was just a protype to show what can be done with the 135i in terms of a performance orientated vehicle. If it does go into production the tii from my understanding will be a more track orientated car, with a high revving 4 cylinder engine from what I've heard on the rumour mill. Similar to BMW's HP2 Sport motorbike or M3 CSL, I have the feeling half the price will be purely in the exclusivity of owning one.
Thanks Tai, I have actually thought of this...

I may even give it a go, thing is I'm not confident I'll find what I want, ie: interior/exterior colour and trim choice and specific options, if I'm going to spend 80-90k it's gotta be exactly what I want or I'll pass...this I think will be made more difficult as I've noticed my fav. colour - cashmere silver - is not very common amongst 135i coupes...but you never know I could get lucky or decide to settle on my 2nd fav. colour Alpine White, which is much more common...

Still havn't test driven one, I'm waiting on it ATM, as soon as that happens, I'll be able make the important decisions and take the next steps :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #34
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Wraith there is an article in the new top gear mag about the TTS....got 12/20. They were pretty underwhelmed. Bit quicker than the TT but handling and feel were lacking.
      06-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #35
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Handling & Feel are always lacking with Audi's
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #36
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

re. delivery time

Don't be put off by these stories of Feb/Mar 09 delivery.

I was told today that I could expect delivery in Sydney maybe Sept, definitely by Oct 08. I'll be ordering my 135i Coupe from Dwyers in Wollongong this afternoon and have been promised 2008 delivery ... probably in Oct/Nov. And that's with Dwyers twisting a few arms at head-office since they've already oversold their quota for 2008.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #37
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

BTW, be careful comparing 0-100km/hr and 400m times for RWD versus AWD. Cars with AWD get a few tenths of a second advantage for the same kg/kW simply because of their ability to brutally launch off the line. They just dial up ~5000rpm and step off the clutch. There's massive strain on the powertrain. It's not something you'd want to repeat everyday.

In comparison, RWD tends to be much gentler on the powertrain because attempting the same thing only results in smoking tyres. But RWD gains it back with higher trap speed at the end of 400m. See the July 08 issue of MOTOR for an interesting comparison between the 135i Coupe and STI WRX, for example (and those runs were done on a loose runway surface at Glenn Innes). For the record, the 135i bumped out the STI from qualifying for the final of Performance Car 08. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #38
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

It's funny, I ordered my wife a 135i a few weeks ago and whilst visiting the Audi dealership (I was getting a pre sales inspection on my S3 for a guy who was buying it from me, waste of money on a 8 month old car... anyway) and was having a chat with the sales folk there about placing the order on the 1. You could see their face, blank... then he says "just trying to think of something we could have sold you", he then said "we don't have anything!"

What I guess this says is that even Audi don't see the TTS as a competitor to the 135, it is slower, more expensive, smaller rear seating and stuff all boot space. It barely looks any different to a stock TT 2.0T. The problem for Audi is that they had no where to go with pricing. It HAD to be the most expensive car in the range, same as the S3 is in the A3 range and as such had to sit ontop of the TT 3.2Q, hence $90K+ (realistically ~$105K with a few goodies and that is $20K+ more than a well specified 135).

GAME OVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #39
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

I had the same dilemma. Went with the 1er and a 5 for the winter ONLY and ONLY because all the local Audi dealers are pretentious. The BMW dealerships were much better.

I tell you, otherwise I would have went with the TT (with nav!). Sweet.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #40
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Thanks again guys for the feed back - very encourouging :smile:

I will find out soon about availablity ETA's on deliveries etc. and let you all know what I'm told :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #41
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Just go and drive the Audi S3 to get a good idea, I took one for a test drive prior to ordering my 135i.

It has the same engine, chassis and suspension as the TT-S, but is 7hp down on the new TT-S 265bhp (S3) versus 272bhp (TT-S).

The TT-S is much lighter than the 135i, so does make up a little in performance stakes. On the road, I seriously doubt that the performance difference between the two cars will be that noticeable.

However, the key differences, especially in the UK are:

1) Price - the TT-S is more expensive
2) Handling - numb and lifeless handling
3) Steering - Artificially light and lifeless
4) Rear seats - Not an issue for some, but they are useless
5) Running costs - although the mpg is better, servicing costs more, also budget for a mandatory 20,000 mile Haldex oil change (£80UKP)
6) Rarity - 135i's are rare on the roads, TT's are far too common
7) RWD Vs AWD - The Haldex setup on the TT-S is not a true AWD setup and is still a maximum 100% to the fronts, and max 50% to the rear - this is dissappointing.

135i is for a car enthusiast, TT-S is not, but is a great A-B car.

Just my thoughts....

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #42
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Thankyou moff :smile:

Very well written and intelligent comments there...

This thread has helped immensly with my decision on these 2 cars :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #43
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just because it bugs me.

There's nothing wrong with the Haldex system. It can send up to 100% either direction but yes, is usually biased towards front or rear depending on setup. It monitors the speed that the wheels are rotating at, as soon as variation (1/8 or more) between front and rear is detected, more power gets sent in the direction that is lagging. Volvo, Saab, VW Audi, BMW (optional AWD on most models overseas, only the 5 series here) and the Bugatti Veyron use a haldex system.

Here ends thy rant.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #44
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
Just because it bugs me.

There's nothing wrong with the Haldex system. It can send up to 100% either direction but yes, is usually biased towards front or rear depending on setup. It monitors the speed that the wheels are rotating at, as soon as variation (1/8 or more) between front and rear is detected, more power gets sent in the direction that is lagging. Volvo, Saab, VW Audi, BMW (optional AWD on most models overseas, only the 5 series here) and the Bugatti Veyron use a haldex system.

Here ends thy rant.
I agree, nothing really wrong with it - even the latest greatest hi-po car, the new R35 GT-R has a very similar AWD system in terms of principals, it too is based on a RWD biased set up :smile:

The 'quattro' set up is said to be superior with different LSD diffs etc. but this system can't be fitted to transverse engine mounted applications due to space restrictions, so won't end up in cars with transverse mounted 4 or 5 IL or V6 engines...

A bit of 'false' badging then on Audi TT's with the 'quattro' badges displayed on the interior except for this new TT/S variant, the current AWD variants are fitted with the 'Bora 4 motion' AWD set up...new TT/S with Haldex, but still displaying 'quattro' badges...hmmmm.
Appreciate 0